U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 5,063 times

Advertisements

My husband, myself and our two daughter (14 and 3 1/2) currently live in Mansfield,TX. We had a house built here about three years ago. We love the area and our house. My husband recently took a new job in Plano off N 75 and 15th street. It has been taking sometimes 1 hour to 1 and 1/2 hours for him to get to and from work. Not only that the fuel prices alone is about to eat our lunch. He plans on staying with this new company for a very long time and he can not see making this long drive indefinitely.

Our current home cost in the low 190's to build and we have a pool. Can we find a smaller city around Plano for that price range and not too far from his job? What city should we look at Wylie, Murphy, Frisco, Anna, etc? We want to live in a city that has good schools as well. Our oldest daughter if we stay where we are will attend Mansfield High School next year. We have heard great things about MHS form neighbors except it is growing way too fast. If we make the move we think we would like our daughter to attend a smaller high school.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 09:45 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,458,381 times
If I recall correctly, Frisco schools run about 1800 per high school, Allen's is around 3,000, Plano's are around 2200 (but that's only for two grades), I'm not sure about While, Murphy or Anna. I'd also look at Richardson if I were you. The site GreatSchools.net will show you TAKS results, TEA ratings and class sizes for schools.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:20 AM

43 posts, read 105,118 times
We moved to Wylie last year and so far are very happy with our choice. We don't have any school age children, but I keep up with school board business as much as I can. The current high school just moved up to 5A and it's built to hold about 2500 students. A new high school is currently being built and it will open next year. As far as I know there has not been a final decision has to how this high school will be utilized. I've heard it will start out as a Freshman Center, meaning your daughter would probably go to it no matter what part of Wylie you lived in. The school board is still trying to decide if we want to model our school system like Plano and have one school be grades 9/10 and another be grades 11/12 or just have 2 schools grades 9-12. Overall the schools system is very good with lots of opportunites for extra curricular and honors classes.

Murphy is also a very nice place. It doesn't have it's own school system. Some go to Plano ISD and some go to Wylie ISD. There are several nice shopping centers planned for Murphy.

I just registered on this forum so I could respond to this post. I would be happy to pm you web addresses for Wylie and Murphy message boards.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,458,381 times
You'll have to wait 24 hours before you can PM rgmills25.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:02 AM

43 posts, read 105,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
You'll have to wait 24 hours before you can PM rgmills25.
No problem. I cant wait.

I also wanted to mention that Garland and Richardson along 190 the George Bush Turnpike is very nice, and there are several threads already about both of those school districts. Both districts are bigger than say Wylie, but I would definitely look into them.

Last edited by rgmills25; 06-01-2007 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: I thought my reply sounded rude. But I didn't intend it to sound that way.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:14 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,796,018 times
Boo Wylie Pirates!

Old 06-01-2007, 08:56 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,265,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Boo Wylie Pirates!
LOL!!! That is what our friend says that coaches at WW. Knocked them out of the playoffs how many times?

Spend the next few weekends and weekdays if you can just checking out the areas mentioned. If you and the kiddo's can ride up and drop your husband off at work (if you don't work or have a day off) and then go visit around a couple of times. Take them to the waterparks or public pools to see how it is and if they are the open and friendly type they can ask the kids they see where they go to school and how they like it. You could meet other moms and such too and get an inside scoop on different things and perspectives. This would help since school is out and you can't tell much by touring an empty school.

I don't know if your wanting brand new or an existing home in that price range but it can be done w/ some work/digging or finding one that needs sprucing up. I know of a few in that price range that are existing near me (my parents are looking for homes under $240K in this area).

Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,063 times
Smile Thanks

Thanks to all who replied!!! I will take all of your suggestions/advice and get to work on finding the right area for my family.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:38 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,025,724 times
75 and 15th.

I'd suggest Central Plano (stay west of Custer), north central Plano (Frisco schools, feels like part of Allen) or Allen would be good choices. Western Allen's prices have jumped in the last year as it approaches build out, so in that price range, you may need to stay in East Allen. Murphy is also excellent, but sub-200k may be tough out there as well because it is mostly newer homes (unless there is an older part I'm not aware of). You may also want to look in Richardson in Prairie Creek/Canyon Creek. Then there is Mckinney that's just a few miles to the north on the 75. There are new developments in Eastern Mckinney in this price range.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,412 times
I was thinking about building a new house in Little Elm with Kb homes. Does any one live in a KB Home? If so are you or did you have ant problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or