U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:17 AM

6 posts, read 24,098 times

Advertisements

Thanks allyjon - good to know. They built two apartment complexes near my previous home -- and 6 months later we moved. Valid point made. One I forgot to consider, especially with experience.

Masalamomma - I'll look into the city. Thanks for suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,689 times
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE TOLLS FROM FLOWER MOUND TO PLANO? I MAY GET A JOB THERE BUT LOVE FLOWER MOUND. I WANT AREA NEAR TREES, WATER. I COMMUTE NOW IN SAN DIEGO 55 MIN ONE WAY SO THAT DOES NOT BOTHER ME. i WOULD RATHER LIVE IN A PLACE I LOVE. ANY IDEA???

Old 09-11-2007, 04:14 PM

889 posts, read 2,489,082 times
55 mins each way? basically 2 hours a day? 10 hrs a week? 520 hours a year? ok i'll stop...

Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 AM

27,574 posts, read 45,029,595 times
TOLL TAG is one price for a year--

FTW STar Telegram today listed the current Nat'l Merit semi-finalists--Flower Mound Marcus HS had quite a few winners--Paschal in FTW ISD had the most in Tarrant co except for the Magnet school for Math and Science in Denton (that entry is achieved by test scores and other criteria I believe--not just application)...
Southlake Carroll ISD was probably 3rd...Trinity in HEB had 6 or 7==that is good count...
parochial/private schools had a few each as well...

If you look at another thread on this board about TAKS scores you can see how each district compares--I am not saying TAKS is the only or the best way to evaluate a school--but I was surprised to see how well Coppell did with TAKS scores since it is an older community and as someone said does have more apartment communities that some other towns..
don't know it that well at all but have been driving through it mroe since my son move to new apartment in Lewisville to avoid 121 traffic/tolls since I don't have a toll tag (but may just break down and get one)....I like it because of the city ordinances prohibiting big signs--sounds stupid--but it makes a low profile when you are driving the main streets and just looks so much less clutter, "noisy", and ugly frankly...they have just as many stores/Wendy's/convience stores--it is just that they are not screaming "STOP HERE" with those big signs....

Old 09-15-2007, 07:56 PM

875 posts, read 761,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshinelife View Post
I pick and choose when I use the tollroads. Sometimes I travel service road as I can get to my destination without any problem. Other times I take the tollroad. This cuts down on my costs. I'm very happy the option is there for me.
I'm not exactly sure where Coppel or Flowermound are in relation to Plano. I live in Plano and recently found a "toll" bill in the mail for traveling about 2 miles on 121 south heading towards Lewisville. I got off 121 heading into Lewisville just past the I35 offramp. It's not marked as a toll road, they just take a picture of your license plate, and send you an invoice for $1.40. "If" you have a fast track device, that is billed. According to their web page, it's nicer for commuters so they don't have to stop at a toll booth. But, they don't even give you the option to pay what would be $.40.

I used to drive my son to work from Plano every day and pick him up every night. He had to be in Lewisville at 9 am, and got off at 6 pm. I live just east of 75 on Spring Creek Parkway. It took a solid 45 minutes each way, and sometimes longer depending on the usual variables. Definately longer in funky weather.

To the person moving here from S. CA just know the rain here is nothing like you've ever seen in S. CA. It POURS so hard the traffic on freeways slow down to a crawl.

The commute is definately a factor because it may not seem like a long drive in miles, but the time it takes is unreal in the traffic here.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:58 PM

35 posts, read 142,220 times
You really should look at Lewisville. It has older homes, as well as newer homes, and is 5-15 minutes east from Flower Mound. It is closer to Plano and you are right off I-35 and 121.

I believe there is much more diversity in Lewisville than in Flower Mound or Coppell, which are both very very nice, and LISD is a good school district. Obviously there are better schools in the better areas, and some areas feed into Flower Mound schools.

REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale is a good place to look.

There is going to be an awesome area to shop that is being built in Flower Mound/ Highland Village. It is upscale and will have a theater, all the same stores as the mall, and lots of places to eat.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 7,141 times
Default Plano vs Flower Mound

We have lived in Coppell, Plano, and Flower Mound, in the 80s 90s and now, respectively. They're all very nice places to live. I would hesitate to judge Coppell currently, as we lived there 2o years ago, and it has developed considerably since.

We left Plano in 2002, having lived there for 9 years. I would recommend it for the schools. All our sons went to hs there, and rec'd good educations. Everything is convenient. It has much going for it.

We returned from the NOLA area in January 2006 (can you guess why?) - got back to TX asap. Having lived in the Metroplex for so long, we knew the burbs fairly well. We chose Flower Mound easily over Plano. FM development seems to be much more controlled, 'tho it's coming here too. The green spaces are much nicer - planned for people's pleasure, not put under high tension lines like some in Plano. Also, Plano seems even more intense and crowded than when we left, while FM has a completely different feel.

We are very happy with our choice - FM is one of the nicest places we've ever lived. I hear the schools are good here, but have no firsthand experience with them.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:58 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,594,529 times
I would suggest Coppell. Its a bedroom community, if you in the right area you kids might go to Ranchview High School, which is claiming to having an IB (International Baccalaureate) program, which is supposedly looks really good on you college application.

there not too many in the metro, i hear they are expected to get accepted to the program and it will start next year.
Find an IB World School (broken link)

I'm not quiet sure what IB is but if you're wondering
International Baccalaureate
coppell has some really nice school too i hear, but i also hear that it has its problems. You might want to enroll your kids in a Charter school, north hills is one, i think it scored 11th best school in the nation.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:26 AM

27,574 posts, read 45,029,595 times
CMDALLAS--could you please share the site where you got the info about North Hills charter being the 11th best school in the nation--I find that pretty difficult to believe...

lots of ISD in Tarrant Dallas counties going with the IB program--accelerated fields of study -- different from the AP or G/T strands that many ISDs already have --supposedly if you are an IB graduate, you would have completed course work equivalent to first 2 years of college--does not always work that way in the real world of collegial education since what college wants to give up 2 years of tuition--but you can get some classes compted...

Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,280,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
CMDALLAS--could you please share the site where you got the info about North Hills charter being the 11th best school in the nation--I find that pretty difficult to believe...

lots of ISD in Tarrant Dallas counties going with the IB program--accelerated fields of study -- different from the AP or G/T strands that many ISDs already have --supposedly if you are an IB graduate, you would have completed course work equivalent to first 2 years of college--does not always work that way in the real world of collegial education since what college wants to give up 2 years of tuition--but you can get some classes compted...
Garland HS has the IB program and has for MANY years. I've known many kids to graduate in the IB program and go onto college as juniors and finish their undergrad work in 2 years then move onto a Masters. Yes, it is MUCH different than the AP program. Nowadays it is pretty standard that a college bound high school student will be in AP classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or