Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:00 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
CMDALLAS--could you please share the site where you got the info about North Hills charter being the 11th best school in the nation--I find that pretty difficult to believe...
I think North Hills was very high up in that Newsweek list that ranked schools by the number of AP tests that were taken - ya know the same list that has the Dallas Gifted and Talented School as number one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 07:10 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
It was listed, as #15 right above HP at #16

>>15 North Hills School ** Irving Texas 5.731 9 79.6
16 Highland Park Dallas Texas 5.727 0 72.6<<

The 1,200 Top U.S. Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12532678/site/newsweek/ - broken link)

Old 11-08-2007, 02:20 PM

6 posts, read 22,095 times
Have lived in Coppell for over 20 years. Love it. Great schools (I work for the district and have 2 sons it MS and HS).

Great area, very centrally located. My husband commutes to Richardson every day. I would choose it over Flower Mound, Plano or Richardson any day!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:11 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Salazar View Post
Thanks for response. Husband's job will be in Plano; I'm a stay-at-home mom. I've read a great deal here about both cities. I guess I was hoping for more info about schools, cities, crime, programs, etc. for each city.

Maybe looking for a "crystal ball" to help me make this monumental decision about uprooting my kids to move 1/2 way across the U.S. I'm afraid I'm going to make the wrong decision about which city we move to. Don't want to wake up one day and say to myself, "We should have moved somewhere else."

Awkward question--is a racism/prejudice against Mexicans an issue in either of these cities?

Thanks again.
I would choose flower Mound. Plano is a bit far. Coppell is a major housing complex and is upper class as well. Because of this Crime Rates are low, but flower mound is more convenient.
I am half Chinese, and half Mexican AND LIVE IN IRVING (being quiet conservative myself I don't like the mayor) People really don't stare at you funny, or at least too much. Southern Irving is like little Mexico if you will, the cities with the crazy mayor are actually some of the most racially diverse cities. their is alway going to be racists, even where you come from. Texas is in the same boat as Cali, you probably won't get too many dirty looks unless you move to some hick town in the country. you'll probably get just as many here as you did in Cali, the wacko conservatives aren't all that much in control like the media thinks so. You kids should be fine in school, even in public school, the only problem i have in school (I'm in high school) with race is getting teased for being Chinese AND mexican, cause tis a funny combo, even then some they're usually friends who tease me and I don't get mad. If your kids aren't prissy private school or charter school kid where they're all protected then they should be fine.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:52 PM

9 posts, read 30,311 times
Coppell is a great city to live in and the schools are top notch. Flower Mound is also great. Plano is huge. I don't want to offend with this statement; but, you asked about race, so, here it is. Coppell and Flower Mounds are predominantly white. There are not many Mexicans in Coppell---at all. We are a diverse city though and I don't feel much prejudice toward anyone. We are a city of many races; however, it's mostly White, Asian and Indian. Flower Mound is predominantly white. Plano has 250,000+++ people so it's probably a great mix of races. I'd like to think that most people aren't prejudice. The fact that there aren't alot of this race or that race is probably a money issue. All three of these cities are very expensive to live in. If you want to feel like you are with Mexicans in particular; Carrollton would be a great option. If it doesn't matter to you though, then who cares. Be true to yourself and you can't go wrong. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas