U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:03 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,020,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
How about "Is Salt Lake City like HBO's Big Love?"
And I thought you said you didn't watch TV ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:24 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
[quote=Philip T;830261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthDallas40 View Post

Thanks again -- I looked that up on a map and it does seem to have some fairly expansive park lands on the South side of it, as well.

Does anyone know if that is a good sailing lake?

I think I recall the Navy (from the Naval Air Station on the North edge of the lake) had poisoned the lake with sloppy dumping a few years back -- does anyone know if that ever got cleaned up?
If you want a good sailing lake around Dallas then head out to Lake Ray Hubbard. 100's of sailboats on that lake. You will see most of them at three marinas on the lake. The first one is right off of I-30 at Dalrock there by Weekends (restaurant and bar w/ live music) at Robinson Park. The second is over at Chandlers Landing just across the lake from the one above but farther back from 30. The third one is at Rush Creek which is in Heath.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:00 AM

419 posts, read 1,344,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The question... "is <your city> ugly" is a troll. What are we supposed to say? Yes, it is?

We don't get on the Salt Lake City forum and ask them if their women are fat and ugly. Or if their men are violent drunks. We don't say... "I heard that Salt Lake City is dominated by religious fanatics, is that true?" Moderator cut: inappropriate comment

And yes, "If you're complaining that Dallas (or Chicago or NYC or Paris or London) do not have mountains..." you are out of your mind. Or are bereft of the sense to tell what is important.
I thought about trying to respond to you again, but then I checked your other posts and realized I'm fighting a losing battle. Your definition of what these forums are for and mine are just different, thats it. I've lived in Texas all my life and I'm willing to accept that there are problems here and that there could, just maybe, be a place out there that may be better or not, who knows?

Dallas has it's up sides and it's down side, by and large, it's a great place to live. If I wish it had some mountains that does not make me crazy, that happens to a feature I desire. I can get that feature in Salt Lake City if I want, but then I'm gonna have to go over there and see if I can fit in with the LDS majority, which is listed on their forums ad nauseum, just like questions about Texas heat and the lack of varied topography here. The point of the forums are to try and dispell the myths of an area to see if you still want to try and move there.

And yes, you are right, there are ugly cities in pretty places, but I can name off a number of places that have both and have an urban environment at least as good as Dallas'. Dallas has done darn well with what it has to work with, you simply have to look at some surrounding areas to see that but it has a huge stigma from outsiders that it is a featureless area, and that is somewhat warranted. Certainly there are some exceptions, but more often than not urban landscape here is very duplicative and cookie cutter except in a couple of neighborhoods that not everyone can live in.

Last edited by DFWMike; 06-05-2007 at 09:57 AM..

Old 06-05-2007, 09:19 AM

55 posts, read 141,656 times
Believe it or not, I do want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. In the end, only I will be able to decide if Dallas is a fit for me and my family. I am so grateful this site is here and active. I felt alone and lost trying to navigate my way around relocation. Due to this site, I feel as if I have my eyes wide open and at least know what to be looking for.

Wherever we end up living (and I hope it is Dallas because man am I sick of DC) compromises will have to be made. That's ok.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:24 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,320,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
I thought about trying to respond to you again, but then I checked your other posts and realized I'm fighting a losing battle. Your definition of what these forums are for and mine are just different, thats it.
I do my best to articulate my point of view and I expect ohers to do the same. I fight a struggle against irrational thinking, and I expect others to critique me when I'm irrational... if they can.

Quote:
I've lived in Texas all my life and I'm willing to accept that there are problems here and that there could, just maybe, be a place out there that may be better or not, who knows?
Focus on the issue in question. Nobody said the place was perfect, heaven on earth. The question is... is it UGLY, hideous, repulsive, horrible, etc.

Quote:
If I wish it had some mountains that does not make me crazy, that happens to a feature I desire.
Nobody likes to listen to griping and whining, especially about the immaterial.

I'm glad it doesn't have 14,000 foot mountain ranges up and down and across the Metroplex... driving around would be horrible. And no, wishing for something like that is not neurotic, albeit foolish... but complaining about it is definitely squirrely. Can you imagine somebody walking down Preston Road... or the Champs-Elyssee in Paris, griping and whining about the lack of a mountain range in the city?

In European cities such as London, Paris, Amsterdam, Warsaw, etc, the lack of tall mountains on the edge of the city is not viewed as a fatal flaw. People do not shun Miami or New Orleans or Chicago because there are no snow-capped peaks in view.

Complaining about the lack of a mountain range next to a city is no less petulant than James Bond whining about his martini being stirred instead of shaken.

Quote:
I can get that feature in Salt Lake City if I want, but then I'm gonna have to go over there and see if I can fit in with the LDS majority, which is listed on their forums ad nauseum, just like questions about Texas heat and the lack of varied topography here. The point of the forums are to try and dispell the myths of an area to see if you still want to try and move there.
So dispell the myth about the Dallas countryside being ugly. Have we dispelled the myth that the CITY is ugly, so we can move on to whether the COUNTRYSIDE is ugly?

Quote:
And yes, you are right, there are ugly cities in pretty places
You finally understand the distinction between "scenic" and beautiful urban design.

Quote:
but I can name off a number of places that have both and have an urban environment at least as good as Dallas'.
Dallas does not have to be the very best, the ultimate, the most perfect.

Quote:
Dallas has done darn well with what it has to work with,
There's nothing wrong with the countryside outside of DFW... it is similar to the plant cover and terrain in much of Europe. I see much natural beauty in DFW's surrounding croplands, forests, rivulets and lakeshores.

Quote:
but it has a huge stigma from outsiders that it is a featureless area, and that is somewhat warranted.
Much of what you're posting perpetuates that myth. I am making the point that the myth is a delusion.

Quote:
but more often than not urban landscape here is very duplicative and cookie cutter except in a couple of neighborhoods that not everyone can live in.
Dallas' urban landscape is better than that, and is far more physically appealing than popular housing in many European cities.

Last edited by aceplace; 06-05-2007 at 02:03 PM..

Old 06-05-2007, 02:00 PM

I'm gonna say this one more time. SHE LIVES IN A MOUNTAIN STATE! I wanted to make sure she knew it was in no way like the place she was coming from. Thats the reason Mountains were mentioned in the first place.

It is rediculous to want mountains here, thats why I've been in the Utah forums trying to see what kind of city Salt Lake is and that is how i knew where the poster is from. I've always understood the difference between beautiful urban design and scenic, I'm one who would like more scenic and I'm not sorry for that, lol.

This whole thing was started yet again, because somebody from a beautiful mountain state is trying to move to a plains city, can you deny this? She has already said she has lived in places like this and doesn't mind it, so she'll probably love it here.

My argument with you has been that you simply are deriding the poster as a troll when in fact she was just someone asking a valid question about a city. Definately doesn't speak well of our hospitality. I don't know about you but I would like help someone know the truth before they pack up and move across country just as I would hope someone would pop in and tell me the negatives about places I'm interested in.

Last edited by DFWMike; 06-05-2007 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Trying not to be rude

Old 06-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Did anybody mention anything about Europe, I didn't read that, but thanks for the breifing on European topography.
If the Dallas countryside is supposed to be ugly, then the Bavarian countryside near Munich is sumilarly ugly... and the Dutch countryside outside of Amsterdam is even uglier.

But... in my opinion, the North Texas, Bavarian and Dutch countrysides are not ugly.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:34 PM

ok, you win.

Best idea, come see it for yourself before you move, see what you think

And actually I apologize for the Europe comment, tried to erase it before you saw it, guess I wasn't quick enough.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
My argument with you has been that you simply are deriding the poster as a troll when in fact she was just someone asking a valid question about a city. Definately doesn't speak well of our hospitality. .
I saw this in the OP's post

Quote:
I've heard some people say that Dallas is really ugly??
I took offense to that line, and I am antagonistic to the bigots who make such insulting blanket statements. The poster did not originate the statement, I am sure, so I have no quarrel with her personally. But I have many comments to make about the irrational nature of such insults.

Quote:
I don't know about you but I would like help someone know the truth before they pack up and move across country just as I would hope someone would pop in and tell me the negatives about places I'm interested in
I'll agree that the Rocky mountains do not extend into North Texas. I would think that is common knowledge past the 4th grade. As to whether that constitutes a "negative", I'll take issue on that one as well.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I should apologize, I think you got that at least in part from me. Dallas is not ugly it's just featureless. The city itself has alot of trees and it rains a fair amount, probably a perfect combination of where your from and a place like Boston or Houston.

The problem when comparing it to utah or out west is there are no real changes in the topography. Hills rise to about 1100 ft west of town which provides about a 600 ft relief from the constant elevation of the area but nothing more than a mole hill compared to what you guys have.

If living near mountains and clear flowing streams does not matter to you guys, then Dallas may do just fine. They've done alot with what they have, prarie just isn't all that pretty so they have to work really hard to make the landscape attractive. But they do that, and it has worked with several different projects and older neighborhoods.

Dallas is a fairly attractive city as cities go, I'm just not the most urban type of person. If your one who seeks mountains then, yea, Dallas is not very attractive, lol. You pretty much have to travel about 4 hours to Arkansas to see anything resembling amountainous area.
This is my response to the Op, it is the second post in the thread, can you find anything ugly about this? I think it is accurate and somewhat positive. The reason I responded in this manner, was because of a post I made in Utah saying I was looking for an area that like theirs because Dallas was not very attractive TO ME. And if you notice I actually apologized for saying that to the Op, so this is much ado about nothing. I would not mention anything about mountains to someone who was not coming from a mountain state and I was responding that way because I was also attempting to explain what I said in their forums.

And actually my post in the Utah forums didn't say Dallas was ugly it just said that there not many places less attractive, and I do admit that is an overstatement and a matter of opinion and based strictly on natural topography which i didn't specify, but I did attempt to rectify in the above post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or