U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:40 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,417,661 times

Advertisements

One time I flew out of the U.S. and unknowingly had a pair of nail clippers in my purse (one of those items that is just always there and never think about till needed). Got out of the U.S. just fine it was going thru security in Mexico that they confiscated them. LOL!!! In Mexico now they won't even let you carry on bottled water that you purchased w/in the secured area. They even search your bags AGAIN just before boarding the plane.

My favorites are the time on a train going thru Eastern Europe and my roommate and I handed the guy our passports and he looked one over and looked at her real good and handed her the passport. Looked me over real good, looked at the passport real good then at me again then handed me the passport. I was surprised to find that my very light blonde hair had turned DARK RED in my passport picture. LOL!!! We got a kick out of that. Then the time we took a family trip to SoCal and went over to Tijuana. Coming across my mother, sis and I walked right on by w/ not even a blink. They stopped our dad and asked for any and all proof of citizenship. That's what he gets for having a good tan. They were hesitant to let him come across.

I feel for the people that work those jobs because it has got to be the most hated job by a lot of people. The abuse has got to be awful. I just wish they would get consistent. Even from U.S. airport to U.S. airport security is totally inconsistent. I don't mind searching or searches or anything if it is all for the well being of everyone. Afterall if I'm in the air and all of a sudden a situation arises and the Homeland Security guys, TSA let someone go on thru because they thru a fit for being "stereotyped" or whatever and they really were a threat.......... If we think it is bad now........ that will only make it worse. I actually believe our laws are TOO lax when it comes to flying. Go to any other country and it is VERY strict but because we are the "land of the free" every nut job out there knows all they have to do is scream "racism" or "stereotyping" and they can get by.

Okay, off topic, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 04:06 PM

257 posts, read 849,343 times
I have no complaints about the security screening process, but do wish it was more consistent. When flying from DFW airport on Sunday morning, the man in front of me was given a tongue lashing because he had left his boarding pass in his carry on bag that had already gone thru the xray machine. Not all airports require you show the boarding pass as you walk thru the metal detector, so I always keep mine out just in case. This poor guy took a beating for it. He was still being searched when I walked away.

My complaints, and I think what this Middle Eastern gentlemen is concerned about, is the extra special treatment people of color get from the Homeland Security Department. Like I was describing before, we were stopped and taken by Homeland Security as we were entering the door of the plane. And why? Because of "Customs Laws" she said. What are the "Customs Laws" that warranted our search and interrogation? Not a clue, she refused to provide it and told me I needed to "ask my bank". What kind of ignoramus response is that?

Another time as my husband de-planed in NYC at JFK, all the male brown people were diverted and taken into custody by Homeland Security. He was detained for 4 hours and questioned by four different people. He is a US Citizen by the way, has lived in this country since he was 18, and is a law abiding professional.

I am not calling it "racism" or "racial profiling" or "stereotyping", I am just calling it inefficient and ineffective. I fail to understand how this harassment is going to make our planes safer. These guys I mentioned above had just got OFF the plane. The time before when we were getting ON the plane, we had already gone thru all the security screening and did not have even a pair of fingernail clippers. By all means, check everyone for weapons, explosives, watch lists, etc....... It is just that it has been taken a step too far.

Look at the Canadian middle-eastern professional seized at JFK while connecting back to Canada and taken to Syria where he was tortured and detained for more than a year. The Canadian government ended up having to apologize for their gross error. This guy was a family man and professional just like the rest of us, and had his life completely disrupted and marred simply because his name was matching to someone else on the watch list. It would be like a "John Thompson" being seized and tortured for a year because the name "John Thompson" is on the watch list. How many "John Thompsons" are there in this country????

I was living in the middle east for almost two years recently. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone told me they refused to come to this country until: (1) Bush was no longer President, and (2) Until unreasonable harassment at the airports was contained. This is just a fact I am reporting to give some insight as to why the Original Poster is concerned. Don't shoot the messenger.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:52 PM

1,560 posts, read 6,474,156 times
I don't think anyone's trying to shoot the messenger. I think they're trying to show the humanity on the other side of the equation. So far this has actually be a fairly cordial discussion. I wish more threads were this way.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:04 PM

We had a couple of things happen on our most recent trip that really upset me. I had in my hand my passport and boarding pass along w/ my minor childrens passports and boarding passes. While making a connection flight we had to go thru security again since we came in thru international. My youngest was in front of me w/ bare hands while the rest of us had to stop and put our belongings into the tubs. The guy standing at the walk thru metal detector motioned for my 8 year old to walk thru on ahead a good 15-20' in front of us. NO!!!!!!! For one I have her boarding pass AND passport and she is NOT leaving my side. I went to get her to come back to me and the guy got mad and told me so and I told him I did not care as MY child was NOT leaving MY side like that THAT far away from me especially in a place like a busy airport. I did not go thru the metal detector but had her come back to me. That guy could have arrested me for all I cared but I was NOT going to let my child go that far away from me while we were busy w/ our backs turned to the direction she was headed. What was funny was he let her thru WITHOUT her boarding pass and passport. But THAT ticked me off BIGTIME!!!!!!!!

Then the issue w/ liquids/meds and the ziploc bags. I recently read that each passanger is only allowed one ziploc bag???!?!??!?!!! I don't think so. For one all of my childs meds would not fit in one small ziploc. I use the large freezer size for her meds. I was told that meds had to be in the original box/container w/ the prescription on them. So her inhaler had the prescription on the box and not the actual canister so I put it in the box in one of the ziplocs. I keep liquid meds seperate and each one in their own. For three flights everything was fine. It was on the final leg that the agent scanning had an issue w/ the inhaler being in the original box w/ the prescription. And if it would not have been?????? Depending on each agents own ideas I could have been in trouble. Oh, and even to help w/ the liquids I have the doctor call in a small one week supply vs the huge bottle we normally get.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:29 PM

178 posts, read 693,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I refer to southern Dallas as downtown as well.
Downtown is actually downtown.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:06 PM

I agree that trying to get on a plane with children in tow is one of the worst experiences. The agents are ordering you here and there like you are a cow or something, and what they really need to understand is that we are MOTHERS first, and a COW to be herded second.

It is absolute he!! on earth when you have a sleeping baby in a stroller and then other children and carry on bags to manage on top of that, trying to hold your sleeping baby while putting your purse, diaper bag, shoes and carry on thru the machine while at the same time managing passports and boarding passes and somehow trying to keep your other children being herded in a different direction from being kidnapped or getting lost, ARGHH!!!!- at that point I feel like just asking one of the agents to shoot me and put me out of my misery.

And if it wasn't bad enough getting to the plane with kids and babies, now we have to worry about flight attendants on a power trip kicking us off the plane if we refuse to drug our children into submission with Benedryll. Nice. As if being a travelling mother wasn't already enough to throw you into a nervous breakdown!

BOTTOM LINE - I absolutely hate to fly now for many many many reasons. I remember in my earlier years (the olden days), thinking it is so romantic and exciting. Now I would rather drive 3 days then take a plane.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
I don't think anyone's trying to shoot the messenger. I think they're trying to show the humanity on the other side of the equation. So far this has actually be a fairly cordial discussion. I wish more threads were this way.
I only said "Don't shoot the messenger" because my husband says that one thing you never do with a Texan is say ANYTHING bad about Bush. It was more tongue in cheek.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:21 PM

1,005 posts, read 3,318,750 times
The only slur that was ever hurled at me was by a bunch of teens/early twens shouting "Osama" towards our group of bearded guys on Cedar Springs, of all places.
You'd think you would be gay bashed there but instead we got muslim bashed...

Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
The only slur that was ever hurled at me was by a bunch of teens/early twens shouting "Osama" towards our group of bearded guys on Cedar Springs, of all places.
You'd think you would be gay bashed there but instead we got muslim bashed...
"Gay bashed" on Cedar Springs? LMAO!!! I heard the other day that Dallas is actually something like the 3rd most popular cities for gays. Hmmm. Guess having all of these huge gay mega-churches somehow puts it over the edge.

Ahhh, flying w/ kids in tow. We get to do that next week. yippie changing plans on the flights out and return. For some reason my kids like changing planes????
After the last several trips having issues w/ baggage my kids insist on carrying on ALL of their luggage. I don't blame them so that is what we plan on doing. I went out and bought all new luggage for us that is carry-on size along w/ the compression bags for our clothes so that they can all fit in that small of a suitcase. My husband wants to know how I plan on packing enough clothes for 2 weeks in a carry-on. Just watch me. I don't plan on taking ANYTHING large at all and will just buy it when we get there. Even my curling iron that I MUST use everyday. At first he was not game for it but then he changed his mind and I had to go buy ANOTHER piece for him to carry his stuff on too. LOL!!! We plan on checking one large bag for most of our shoes (bulky ones like tennis shoes - if they get lost I'll find the outlet mall and buy new ones) and a few things to make the carry-on plan possible. My husband seems to think they won't allow us to carry-on our luggage but I keep telling him it is possible and business travelers do it everyday. We will each have our carry-on sized suitcase for the overhead and a backpack that will fit under the seat in front of us. Will see............ hopefully all goes well.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:39 AM

421 posts, read 2,755,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc560 View Post
Especially in the world of after 9/11 for people like me hows only fault their skin colour or having a different religion.
I would like to ask about the culture in Dallas and racism? ( I know that TX is conservative how bad for people like me could be?)
Cheers
I am originally from the middle east and I take great exception to your post.

Let me tell you what racism actually is.

RACISM is when you are not even allowed into the country to begin with like the Jews not being ALLOWED to enter saudi arabia...thats RACISM.

RACISM is not being allowed to worship as a Christian in muslim countries and being whipped or stoned to death if you are discovered.

RACISM is when your property is taken away from you because you are not a muslim.

RACISM is when you are convicted of a crime and sentenced to die, without the benefit of a lawyer because you are a Christian Philipino maid in Saudi Arabia.

Instead of being worried about racism in the U.S, you should be thankful that you are being allowed in to LIVE and WORK and make MONEY here,DESPITE the attacks on the US on 9-11. Isn't that why you are coming here instead of staying in the middle east in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or