Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:22 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Lots of blabla.

You know, I've lived there for 27 years and for almost 10 years in the US. I gave you my personal perspective based on my experience.
You are probably talking based on what you think is informed opinion but instead is probably theory that you learned from some more or less biased sources.
I say probably because I don't know, if you actually lived in a European country or if you just think you know how things are based on a classroom or the internet.
There are many people who have lived in the United States for longer than you lived in Europe who are nevertheless uneducated, bigoted and shallow.

I don't assume you are any of those things. Perhaps you are well informed, thoughtful and cultured. But if your only qualification is the length of your life, you are not fit to speak with any authority.

I have no regard for people who cannot explain and justify their beliefs. Especially if they demand adherence from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalamomma View Post
This thread was about INDIVIDUALS. Individuals having problems at an airport, individuals being concerned about ill-treatment based on his ethnicity, individuals being insulted on a bus.
How about individuals dying on a bus for being European?

If 20% of Americans were disgruntled fanatics with a desperate desire to kill as many Arabs as possible, and were being recruited as suicide bombers into Middle Eastern countries, I would feel lucky if my worst experience was heightened scrutiny at an airport, or suspicious treatment from potential victims of my fellow countrymen.

I think that's a legitimate question. What if American paramilitary hate groups begin killing people terrorist-style in Middle Eastern countries in retaliation for Al Quaeda? Would not many countries simply restrict or ban Americans?

Last edited by aceplace; 07-19-2007 at 10:03 PM..

Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
You seriously need to chill out. I am not going to go into a discussion about constitutions and history and education and xenophobia and immigration policy in this thread because in order to do this in a meaningful manner, it would require a lot of time and an open mind. To me, you sound way too prejudiced to allow such a discussion, so I won't bother.

The only thing that I wanted to point out is that you shouldn't make a blanket judgement that "Europe" is xenophobic to the point that integration of Muslims is impossible. Which you did and which in my own experience is false, at least where I grew up. You are more than welcome to believe what you believe but you are dangerously close to ignorance.

That said this thread has run its course for me because it is becoming aggravating for me to read your contributions.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
You seriously need to chill out. I am not going to go into a discussion about constitutions and history and education and xenophobia and immigration policy in this thread because in order to do this in a meaningful manner, it would require a lot of time and an open mind. To me, you sound way too prejudiced to allow such a discussion, so I won't bother.
Perhaps you're not used to defending your opinions to people who are skeptical of them. You're not going to discuss it because I've raised issues you have no answer for.

For example, you claim that an anti-immigration wall is "Hitleristic". But you were unable to explain when Hitler did something like that. In reality, you don't know one way or another... you're just making up claims as you go along.

Quote:
The only thing that I wanted to point out is that you shouldn't make a blanket judgement that "Europe" is xenophobic to the point that integration of Muslims is impossible. Which you did and which in my own experience is false, at least where I grew up. You are more than welcome to believe what you believe but you are dangerously close to ignorance.
Since I never said any such thing, I have no problem in denying it... assimilation is not impossible. However, assimilation of Turkish Muslims, albeit secular they may be, is unlikely in the near term. A corollary phenomenon is the reluctance of the European Union to admit Turkey as a full member.

On the other hand, the United States had no problem admitting Mexico into NAFTA. It was quite willing to admit Turkey to NATO as well.

Quote:
That said this thread has run its course for me because it is becoming aggravating for me to read your contributions.
That means I've confronted you with issues you cannot answer. Yes, it's time for you to slink into the night. Give more thought to your beliefs and think about how to defend them in an open forum.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:47 AM

30 posts, read 111,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc560 View Post
Hi every one,

I would like to ask about the culture in Dallas and racism? ( I know that TX is conservative how bad for people like me could be?)
Cheers
Back to the OP... I just want to point out to you that regardless of what you might have been told, being "conservative" does not mean you are racist. I have heard people from other countries say this before and I want you to know that the kind of people you are talking about who would be racist against you just because you are Middle Eastern are NOT CONSERVATIVES!!
Those people you are worried about are very stupid and myopic and I can assure you they have neither a specific political affiliation or social conservative affiliation. They are just your average morons and "conservative" has nothing to do with it.

I hope you enjoy Dallas!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:30 PM

Hello, NC560, I'd like to respond to your original post...

I'm sure you would get along well in Dallas. I can't think of any reason why anyone would treat you unkindly or be hostile to you. Dallas has traditionally been a welcoming and hospitable city.

Dallas has a very sizable international community, and much of its Anerican population has migrated here from other cities and states. So the chances are that they are newcomers, just like you.

There is a website that has a lot of info about Dallas' international community, including people from the Middle East. You can link to it at http://http://www.dfwinternational.org/ (broken link)

Old 07-20-2007, 09:48 PM

12 posts, read 51,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masalamomma View Post
I only said "Don't shoot the messenger" because my husband says that one thing you never do with a Texan is say ANYTHING bad about Bush. It was more tongue in cheek.
Not THIS Texan. Bash away. As Dorothy Parker once said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me."

Old 07-20-2007, 10:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger At Heart View Post
Not THIS Texan. Bash away. As Dorothy Parker once said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me."
LOL!!! As for this Native Texan and my family we did not vote for him. YIKES! I can proudly say that I have NEVER voted for a Bush

The only ones in my family that did vote for him are the ones that are pretty irresponsible when it comes to finances and are actually the ones you DON'T see in church on Sunday morning. The rest of us good Texas Baptists did not though and we are in church every Sunday

Old 07-22-2007, 03:00 AM

367 posts, read 1,023,514 times
you will find that there are more tolerant folks than intolerant..at least in my travels. i do know my sister-in-law and brother-in-law have a muslim family living across the street from them in richardson..they did not even know it until they got a visit from their parents and saw their neighbors all of a sudden in strict muslim dress. all i know is that my brother in law asked the neighbor about it and that because his parents were old school that they dressed out of respect for his family. nothing was ever said and i believe they are friendly with others on the street. hope this helps.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 PM

8 posts, read 36,286 times
Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
I am originally from the middle east and I take great exception to your post.

Let me tell you what racism actually is.

RACISM is when you are not even allowed into the country to begin with like the Jews not being ALLOWED to enter saudi arabia...thats RACISM.

RACISM is not being allowed to worship as a Christian in muslim countries and being whipped or stoned to death if you are discovered.

RACISM is when your property is taken away from you because you are not a muslim.

RACISM is when you are convicted of a crime and sentenced to die, without the benefit of a lawyer because you are a Christian Philipino maid in Saudi Arabia.

Instead of being worried about racism in the U.S, you should be thankful that you are being allowed in to LIVE and WORK and make MONEY here,DESPITE the attacks on the US on 9-11. Isn't that why you are coming here instead of staying in the middle east in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas