U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:24 AM

109 posts, read 175,139 times

Advertisements

It seems that many people have preconceived notions about Texas and or Dallas. I find it really odd. Ireland has about 1% the diversity of Dallas. Seriously. Not concerned about Ireland, but Dallas? Dallas is a major metropolitan city and has one of the most diverse sets of people in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,012,154 times
This thread is nearly 4 years old.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,487,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
This thread is nearly 4 years old.
this has been happening a lot lately.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
I am so suspicious of threads like these that get restarted--always by posters with no credible history on the boards--
and then they never come back--
why go to all the trouble to dig in history of these threads to make some innane remark

it just drives up posting count

Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 537 times
i personally can vouch for Plano being a great place for people of every religion, race ,color, sexual orientation and ethnicity. by the way we have two pakistani muslim families on our street and they are treated no different than rest of the families. One family is very conservative and lady covers her head while husband visits mosque at least once daily even if he has to miss golf. Other family is casual about religion but both are popular among neighbors. Both husbands are physicians and one lady works for Verizon. Their children hang out in our homes all the time. Many parents encourage their kids to hang out with them as kids are top students and in good activities. I personally feel safer to leave my kids at their place than any where else since stay at home mom is always there for all kids alike, loves to feed everyone but is very strict about study and rules. There is no chance of kids going near alcohol, drugs or sex so safer than our own home. They always comment on DFW being one of the best area for muslims to settle since there is no discrimination and muslim community has everything they need from mosque to asian grocery. verizon lady who covers head had a bad experience after 9/11 in down town but never in Plano.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:33 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,282,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisapril View Post
i personally can vouch for Plano being a great place for people of every religion, race ,color, sexual orientation and ethnicity. by the way we have two pakistani muslim families on our street and they are treated no different than rest of the families. One family is very conservative and lady covers her head while husband visits mosque at least once daily even if he has to miss golf. Other family is casual about religion but both are popular among neighbors. Both husbands are physicians and one lady works for Verizon. Their children hang out in our homes all the time. Many parents encourage their kids to hang out with them as kids are top students and in good activities. I personally feel safer to leave my kids at their place than any where else since stay at home mom is always there for all kids alike, loves to feed everyone but is very strict about study and rules. There is no chance of kids going near alcohol, drugs or sex so safer than our own home. They always comment on DFW being one of the best area for muslims to settle since there is no discrimination and muslim community has everything they need from mosque to asian grocery. verizon lady who covers head had a bad experience after 9/11 in down town but never in Plano.
We have been looking hard at Plano to live. It sounds strange because I know it wasnt always like that, but Plano is turing into quite a tolerant melting pot.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:45 PM

85 posts, read 135,114 times
seems like an old thread but just in case there are interested people out there -dfw is quite diverse and we have lots of muslims from arab, africa & asia and everyone i know feel very safe here and like it very much ... pisd has thousands of muslim children and provides liberty to pray, fast or take off on religious days . we have at least two mosques and many eating and grocery places that i know of. muslim community here is peaceful, educated and well to do so locals have no problem with them. things are same in most dfw cities. so no need to feel nervous coming here because we welcome people of all religions who can invest their skills and money in local economy.... temp is hot like middle east so you'll feel right at home ... just with more freedom to live as you may please.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:17 AM

7,283 posts, read 8,112,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post

Dallas proper does have a high overall crime rate, for a couple years in a row the highest in the nation sadly. However, the violent crime rate is not the highest in the nation. It all really depends on the area. Crime can and does happen anywhere, but yes the 'burbs tend to be safer.
Could you direct me to a source that show Dallas has the highest overall cri
e rate?

Dallas is way down the list for violent crimes per 1000 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or