Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:25 PM

136 posts, read 843,288 times

Advertisements

I have finalized a house in Frisco and am searching for a good Home Inspector. My realtor made 3 suggestions:

1. David Isbon (Isbon Engineering & Home Inspection -* Foundation Inspections (Engineering Reports), Home Inspections & Foundation Designs)

2. DFWinspector (We inspect for YOU | Home Inspection Company)

3. Peter Hughes (Dallas home inspections from an insurer Certified Home Inspector for your house.)

I have asked for sample reports, etc but they are almost all alike .

Does anybody on the forum have experience with these Home Inspectors? Any recommendations?

Thank you

Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:49 PM

44 posts, read 116,236 times
We used David Isbon. He was very thorough.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 PM

48 posts, read 172,012 times
We recently used an inspector on your list. I sent you a private message.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:36 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroldixit View Post
I have asked for sample reports, etc but they are almost all alike .
They would be the same format because they are promulgated by the Texas Real Estate Commission.

Congrats on your new home.

Naima

Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times
Paige, I sent you a direct message.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:18 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
They would be the same format because they are promulgated by the Texas Real Estate Commission.
In lay terms, what shes telling you is the state has put together about a 14 page standard inspection report that all inspectors will use. It covers everything TREC feels should be addressed for homes built in this state. By having a standard form it prevents an inspector from neglecting to inspect for certain items and reduces liability on their end.

Keep in mind they constantly update the Inspection Report. A home built 10 or 20 years ago was not be built with items included in todays reports. When they tell you this home does not have something, it does not mean the house must be updated. They are telling you it just does not exist in the house.

A very good example is Arc Fault Breakers which even my 1 year old home was not built to the way the inspection would report.

The most important thing I would encourage you to do is be at the end of your inspection with your agent to go over the report with the inspector. That way the inspector can answer your questions if there is something you don't understand and show you visually if you need a better understanding.

The inspector I use has a laptop & printer. We leave him alone to do his work but show up at the end. He will print out 3 copies of his report and we will spend as much time as needed going through the report with me and the buyer. Part of my job as someone who's been through hundreds of inspections is to make sure the client understands his Inspector language and interprets into normal English for the client.

A very large part of how good an inspector does his job is how well he communicates when something is a problem or not. Many inspectors make small issues sound like serious problems when they are not.

If these are the 3 inspectors your agent is recommended, I'd bet they are all good. Contrary to what some believe we agents want the most complete and accurate inspection possible.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 PM

48 posts, read 172,012 times
"A very large part of how good an inspector does his job is how well he communicates when something is a problem or not. Many inspectors make small issues sound like serious problems when they are not."

EXACTLY. And some find a problem where there isn't one (mistakes happen) and refuse to back off in spite of evidence to the contrary. This (naturally) enrages a seller and causes mistrust in the buyer who (naturally) trusts the inspector. Good communication ... sufficient time to go over the findings .... are very important.

We didn't use an inspector from our realtors list of inspectors. I think that was not very wise. The inspector rushed the inspection and didn't want to wait for our realtor (who showed up exactly on time) I guess he wasn't worried about being kicked off her list since he wasn't on it to begin with.

Btw Rakin, I want to thank you very, very much for the rec you gave us back in spring for a buyers agent. She was excellent. AND we love the house.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige2 View Post
We didn't use an inspector from our Realtors list of inspectors. I think that was not very wise. The inspector rushed the inspection and didn't want to wait for our Realtor (who showed up exactly on time) I guess he wasn't worried about being kicked off her list since he wasn't on it to begin with.

Btw Rakin, I want to thank you very, very much for the rec you gave us back in spring for a buyers agent. She was excellent. AND we love the house.
Your welcome, I'm glad it worked out well for you.

That inspector rushing may be the reason he was not on her list. As I mentioned in the earlier post, good agents really do want the most accurate and complete inspection possible with good service.

When we give our clients a recommendation it's because we do want the best. We want you 100% satisfied so you'll send us referrals & let us help you sell in the future. A great inspection can also reduce the chances of lawsuits over someone buying a defective home.

Can't say every agent is this way, just the good ones.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:17 PM

46 posts, read 161,846 times
Hello! I know this is a weeks-old post but I'm going to piggy-back with some questions. We are looking for an inspector for our one-year home inspection before warranty is up.

To OP, Carol, did you end up using one of these inspectors? Can you recommend him to us?

Also, is it absolutely necessary for the inspector to climb the roof? In our first inspection before closing, the inspector did not, only did a visual.

The prices for home inspection varies any where from $200 to >$500. What is a reasonable amount to spend on a one-year home inspection?

What about termite inspection in Texas? When and who should get this done?

Thanks much!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:12 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homehunter09 View Post
Also, is it absolutely necessary for the inspector to climb the roof? In our first inspection before closing, the inspector did not, only did a visual.
ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT, YES! Regardless of the homes age, from brand new to existing, if the roof is accessible and safe to climb it should be walked and inspected from the roof's surface. Many issues can only be seen from the surface of the roof and can easily be missed while looking from ground level or even with a ladder at random points at the eaves.

The key here is if the roof is accessible and safe to walk. I've been on some really steep roofs even partly just to get at areas such as chimneys where we tend to find flashing issues and other problems. If you check Google and Yahoo maps and your home has an aerial and/or ground view (or you have a picture and want to email it) and want to DM me the address I'll tell you if I would climb it.

Quote:
The prices for home inspection varies any where from $200 to >$500. What is a reasonable amount to spend on a one-year home inspection?
Inspectors use a variety of methods for calculating their fees. I would stay away from the price issue on your first contact with Inspectors. Instead focus on what the Inspector claims they will do, how you "click" with the Inspector, and any other specific criteria you must have in an Inspector. Pick at least three Inspectors you are comfortable with and then call them back for price.

I know at least three Inspectors here that will quote you $200 for your one year warranty home inspection. I can also tell you that you are not going to get much for that $200. If you want to discuss more of the pitfalls of picking the right Inspector feel free to contact me. I'm a staunch consumer advocate and am happy to assist you in learning more if you desire to.

Quote:
What about termite inspection in Texas? When and who should get this done?
First let's talk about the "Who should do it" question, even though I know you did not ask that. Plenty of licensed Inspectors have obtained their Wood Destroying Insect (WDI/Termite/other damaging pests) applicator/tech license just for the purpose of providing the inspection service as either an add-on to the home inspection or separately. Most all of those Inspectors do not own and operate a pest control company. I always advise clients that out of all the people you can pick to perform that inspection, I would have only a professional pest control company perform the inspection. A good pest control company, with good employees, does nothing but pest control day in and day out. They get to see many things that these Inspectors do not. They develope a sixth sense for rooting out pest problems. This might sound strange, but they also have something to gain from finding the pests and that is more business. You don't have to use them if they claim to find pests but they want the business and will do a lot more looking than these Inspectors would normally do.

As for the question of when and who should have this performed is dependent on each situation. New homes here are generally required to have the soil treated before the foundation vapor barrier is laid or the concrete poured. I believe you are in Allen and they most likely require it of new construction. Even with a pre-treatment such as that issues can arise that are unexpected and allow termites to still reach the home. You also need to be concerned about other potential pests these treatments are not necessarily designed to stop, i.e. wood boring bees, the new invasion of raspberry ants that actually eat and damage rubbers and plastics, and others pests. It all becomes a matter of comfort level as to when you have a pest inspection. Speak with the neighbors and see if they have experienced any issues. Call the pest control companies in your immediate area and they can most likely tell you if there have been particular problems noted in your development.

Many of the pest control companies will come out for free and check your home if you suspect issues. This is not accompanied by any formal and recorded pest inspection report (usually same as required by many lenders when buying an existing home). It winds up being the same inspection though and usually just as thorough. If you feel it is important to have a WDI inspection give them a call.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas