U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 11,661 times

Advertisements

We are a California family looking at a possible relocation to TX for my husband's job. He would be working in Denton and would love an easy commute. The most important things to me are: excellent schools (we have two kids, 5 and 9...best case scenario would be to walk to school), a safe neighborhood (we actually like planned communities where everything is neat and tidy), easy commute for hubby and shopping nearby. Looking at prices around $1 million. I have seen lots of different views on this forum and am looking to hear from people who live in these and surrounding areas to get a feel for a community which does not feel cookie-cutter, but rich in families, family events, beautiful and cozy. It is hard when looking at moving to another state and trying to decide the best place to live! At some point, I will make a trip there to drive through the areas to get a "feel" for the communities, but I have learned from our last move that locals know ALL the details that may take years for a newbie to learn the hard way!
Thanks so much for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,980,702 times
Real estate in Texas is considerably cheaper than in CA, so you might not need to spend as much as you think you do. Frequently people from the Northeast or CA get shocked by how much they can get in TX or southern states for how much less. Look at some RE web sites to see if you can save money (always a good idea).

Old 02-28-2010, 06:46 PM

86 posts, read 213,895 times
I rarely visit the following two areas, but I would look into Flower Mound or Highland Village. Both are very nice, safe, family-friendly, affluent areas with lots of big homes to chose from, and the commute wouldn't be so bad for your husband. You can use google's street view to check these areas out, and remax has a great website where you can get a map view of what's for sale. I think Southlake, Frisco and West Plano would all be quite a haul for your husband, especially during traffic. I would first recommend Highland Village. Even Flower Mound might be a little too far - You might check out Lantana, a master-planned community west of Highland Village - it might be just what you're looking for actually. Dallas Area Location Maps (http://www.lantanatx.com/location.php - broken link) Best of luck to you and your family! The DFW area is a great place to be - think you will love it!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:04 PM

11,957 posts, read 22,265,407 times
All of those commutes (even going against traffic as your husband's commute would be a reverse one) will be 45 min each way, at the least. It is about a 40-60 mile round-trip drive, depending on which suburb you pick.

For your price range and school preferences, I'd pick Southlake. Schools are much stronger than Frisco ISD and West Plano, quite honestly, is just too far a drive to have a tolerable commute to Denton.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,861,463 times
You might look at Argyle.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:40 PM

9,823 posts, read 20,508,296 times
I'd recommend living in Denton County, such as Highland Village, Argyle, etc. Lantana is a very good suggestion! This will dramatically shorten Dad's commute. I cannot imagine having to drive an hour a day for work. That might be the norm in California, but it is FAR from it in North Texas. There just isn't a reason to live that far away from your work (unless you work in a horrible neighborhood!).

Old 02-28-2010, 08:56 PM

4,142 posts, read 13,473,931 times
If those 3 were your only choices, I would pick Southlake because of the commute. We lived there and we loved it. Prosper is another place I would suggest that would make his commute not too bad. There are several high end communities and the schools are excellent. It would put you close to Frisco for other activities, shopping and dining.

Naima

Old 03-01-2010, 12:29 AM

801 posts, read 1,947,514 times
At 5 in the morning, it's about 60 minutes from NW Plano to Denton.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:48 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,660,119 times
with a 1mil budget you might also look at Westlake. definately not cookie cutter!

Argyl, and Lantana are good suggestions. (I have heard very good things aobut Argyle schools
Also Highland Village as others have said is worth a look.
as others have stated of the three you mentioned... Southlake would be the best commute option.

What about Cooper Canyon? It beautiful up there but I have no idea about schools etc...

Old 03-01-2010, 07:53 AM

30,071 posts, read 47,312,423 times
1M is pretty much bargain basement in Westlake but the Westlake Academy --totally IB school--has lot of positive press eventhough some the shenanigans with the admin/past head make you wonder about the hand on the tiller

Southlake does have a great ISD--Carroll--small, good ratings, but it is maybe overrated for what it produces since the kids going in have so many advantages that other districts don't---it would be very difficult NOT to get good scores with students with Carroll's demographics--
and lately the district is seeing some budget problems because the tax revenue in Southlake was down significantly last year--hopefully it will bounce back but the state itself is cutting funding to schools and already has a draconian Robin-Hood-funding realignment that was not helped appreciably by the last legislature's court-ordered readjustment...

Denton itself has some good schools (not as good as Carroll ISD or probably Lewisville's best or Grapevine-Colleyville ISD)--but it is smaller district than say Lewisville (Flower Mound) and some people like that
Denton is university town -- UNT is hugh and Texas' Women's has good rep for some of their programs-there are some high dollar homes in Denton area--but not so many high dollar subdivisions...

from 114/377 to Denton/UNT area takes about 30 min--
North Keller around 377 has some nice $$$ neighborhoods in the 700+ range--Larry Cole, a former Dallas Cowboy, has a long-time development company that started one just south of Dove Rd

the only draw back to that area is that roads are still pretty rural, and shopping is not that available--
even a grocery store can be a pretty good drive
Keller ISD in Roanoke city limits is what I believe part of that area is...

will PM a great MLS site for the Metroplex--4 counties with great organization by county/city/neighborhood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or