Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 AM

9 posts, read 40,523 times

Advertisements

This really sucks! I think all the old buildings along Lower Greenville should be restored and upgraded to modern technology as far as fire safety. Those old buildings are very vulnerable to fire. One of the fire fighters said the tenant walls only went up to the ceiling, so the attic was just one big attic over all the tenants, the reason why it consumed the whole building. I hope Snuffers never catches fire, I would lose my mind if it did. I love that place. Screw all those other locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 01:20 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Although I have no history with these establishments, I feel the loss. Just driving through I can see how this area is obviously a cultural center in Dallas. Losing such places is never good. My sympathies to you all.

It seems like all my favorite places are going up in smoke lately. Last year a similar and possibly more devastating event occurred in my old Boston Fenway neighborhood. The entire restaurant row on Peterborough St burned down - that and our favorite Thai place closed down - like 7 restaurants suddenly gone all at once!

Then last week a whole block of my favorite New England beach - Hampton Beach - went up in smoke. Not to mention I had plans to take the wife to the Windows of the World in October 2001!

And if that's not enough just this past weekend I discovered Fair Park - well the part with the pool and Egyptian style plaza that I had never seen before.

I was very impressed but then became rather depressed when I found the anchor museums are bailing out for Victory Park!

Some victory! VP has nothing in the way of park/garden pleasures that FP has. I don't even see anyplace where they could build it if they chose to. But even if they solve that they can never move the rich history FP has over to VP. That, and I worry if you yank the foundation attraction out of FP that that teetering oasis might just implode. And then I wonder so what's the point of providing rail service then removing the destination?

Any Bostonian witnessing this can't help but shudder with thoughts of WestEndization.

Oh Dallas, what are you doing?!

Maybe you guys have some comforting backstory or insight on this apparent Fair Park apocalypse?

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 03-03-2010 at 01:44 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Bostonian, I haven't kept up much with what is moving to Victory or when, but my guess is that maybe the museums don't get as much traffic as they could. I adore Fair Park and visiting the museums there, but I talk to so many people who won't go there. If I could figure out what has happened to my settings of this page, there would be <rolls eyes> right here. I mentioned in another thread, when I've told friends from the suburbs that my daughter and I have spent many a day out at Fair Park, from the time she was in a stroller, they tell me people get shot out there or they know someone who knows someone who was stabbed. Scariest thing I've ever seen during one of our visits were some police trying to catch a loose dog.
It's such a shame because Fair Park is a Dallas treasure.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
TXGNL -- When I get that response I always say, "well I live right next to Fair Park". I love the look on their faces - usually they are speechless!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:01 PM

They're probably confused, Lakewooder! LOL

Old 03-03-2010, 05:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Bostonian, I haven't kept up much with what is moving to Victory or when, but my guess is that maybe the museums don't get as much traffic as they could. I adore Fair Park and visiting the museums there, but I talk to so many people who won't go there. If I could figure out what has happened to my settings of this page, there would be <rolls eyes> right here. I mentioned in another thread, when I've told friends from the suburbs that my daughter and I have spent many a day out at Fair Park, from the time she was in a stroller, they tell me people get shot out there or they know someone who knows someone who was stabbed. Scariest thing I've ever seen during one of our visits were some police trying to catch a loose dog.
It's such a shame because Fair Park is a Dallas treasure.
Yeah I love FP. I would go there every day if I lived down there. It's a shame it's so neglected. But cities and neighborhoods go through phases and transitions. Central Park in NYC started out as heaven, went through a hellish eras of muggers, junkies, and freaks for a while, and is now back to posh. I wish (hope) the Museum folks at FP get this perspective so it doesn't end up as a needle park or a parking lot. Honestly I think they are making a huge mistake. watching all those brownstones popping up all over that neighborhood makes me think that neighborhood is on the brink of a major renaissance - one that the Museum will entirely miss if they completely bail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
TXGNL -- When I get that response I always say, "well I live right next to Fair Park". I love the look on their faces - usually they are speechless!
Yeah it's baffling LW - so much rumor about FP. I've been there twice - three times including the state Fair - and I have seen nothing of concern - no needles, no rubbers, no bottlecaps. Am I naive? Did FP used to be rough? Times Sq was too - and look at it now.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
People are leaving flower tributes:

Old 03-08-2010, 12:03 PM

326 posts, read 961,972 times
Regarding comments of Fair Park (which is off-topic from this thread)...

The Perot Museum of Nature and Science will be opening their new main museum in Victory Park, but they will keep the old museum open or use them for education facilities. There will still be plenty of museums and activities in Fair Park even as others depart. The aquarium is in the middle of an expansion, a new butterfly house just opened, there are talks of an auto museum, new festivals are taking place in the park and the City is restoring the Art Deco features (the Esplanade and fountains just finished in December, and Hall of State is being restored). Fair Park also has future plans to open the Midway for the summer. With the new DART Green Line stations, Fair Park is looking better than it has in a long time. View the activities here: Fair Park and the Master Plan here: http://www.dallascityhall.com/FairPa...sive_plan.html

Of course, you could join the Friends of Fair Park to ensure the great cultural attraction becomes even better!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Oh I totally forgot about the new butterfly house. I've been dying to get there! Thanks dfwcre8tive! Sorry for OT.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
would probably be better to create a fund to rebuild and have people donate to that vs leaving flowers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas