Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,252 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

My family and I just relocated from Boston to Keller near Fort Worth last summer. We are VERY unhappy with our commutes to work, but VERY happy! where we live. Unfortunately, our primary reason for moving is our 7 year old son goes to school/daycare in Keller, I work in Dallas, my husband in Plano and we share a vehicle. Our commutes are over an hour each way and our poor son get's home really late, even though he is very accustomed to daycare life, I certainly don't want it to be a large part.

We moved here very blind and jumped at jobs. Now that we know our way around and know what we like/don't like......we want to move to Plano. My commute would be 20min and my husbands practically nothing.

I've been reading www.apartmentratings.com which I know I shouldn't but I can't help it and I'm disappointed in every apartment/townhome community I look at! It's discouraging! Problems with slobs for tenants, loud music, dirty grounds, rude management...

1. What communities (apartment/townhome) would you recommend that is family oriented/friendly, price range $1200-$1500 on a good part of town ? I am not the drama type and I don't want to live where there is any. We are quiet and clean! Some of the reviews I've read make my skin crawl! Any personal experiences?

2. We like the more "upscale" living atmosephere. We don't want to pay an arm, but are willing to pay, close to shops/dining, modern and newer apartment homes (hardwood floors, 3br, 1500+ sqft and good amenities). We share a car so convenience would be nice

Any advice will be very helpful. I want only the best for my son and we will not settle. Any advice??? Thank you!!!

Last edited by Lrobie80; 03-02-2010 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,380,591 times
Yikes, that is some insane commute times. Definitely I'd say move to Plano and be closer to work. You could easily find good schools in Plano.

Why rent an apartment? For your budget you could rent a nice home in Plano. With a child I wouldn't chance apartment living...

Old 03-02-2010, 02:26 PM

Default Response

We aren't crazy about renting houses because Mortgage Mitigation is what my husband does for a living for a major bank. What he sees at work is our worst nightmare with landlords using rent money to pay their "primary" homes and going into foreclosure. The renters have no recourse. Also, Having the bank take a property if they own multiple to pay for the primary. It's all confusing, he's tried to explain it to me... We are trying to rent for two more years to continue our savings and get to know the area.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:50 PM

225 posts, read 518,732 times
Lrobie80-I hear you on apartment reviews. You will ALWAYS have some good reviews and then some blistering negative novels as well. I would recommend focusing your search for apartments in the West Plano area along Preston/Park. There are some new apartments along Preston as well farther North near Spring Creek on the East and West side.

Also, check out Legacy Village as well. Newish apartments within a master planned shopping development. If you have any questions about specific areas, feel free to ask. Austin Ranch is another one to check in on. I've had friends and family live at both of these and liked their experiences there.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:30 AM

75 posts, read 244,668 times
Legacy/Alma area has a nice community. Spring Creek/Jupiter area has another(gated). Drive by one day and stop in if you like them.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:48 AM

THANK YOU!!! any reviews on Sequoia ? It is over by Legacy. THank you so much for the suggestions. We did see Austin Ranch and have been told by co-workers and friends that they are full of college kids and it gets very loud during the summer. Any input?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:36 AM

225 posts, read 518,732 times
I used to live over there near Custer and McDermott. I'd go over Russell Creek park and run from time to time. All in all a good location as far as safety probably. Traffic might be a nuisance depending on where you work in Dallas because there aren't a lot of easy escape routes yet. Even with 121 opening up, you will eventually have to head south somewhere. A question I like to ask leasing agents is if they have insulation in the exterior walls of their apartments. (This should be there as it saves on energy bills) Many times you just get a blank stare, but it's fun to see their expressions.

Good luck Lrobie80!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas