Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 PM

21 posts, read 56,257 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I want to move to Texas, specifically the Dallas area (eventually) and I need your help. I am looking for work as a pharmacist in a hospital setting. I am not too picky about the area if there is a great job in a city an hour or two away. I did a quick search and saw that there are a lot of hospitals in the area, but I just want to know which hospitals are good to work for since I know absolutely nothing about them. And by "good", i meant a place that treats their employees right and has decent benefits.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:09 PM

42 posts, read 164,762 times
I recommend Medical City. It's located in north Dallas at the junction of 75 and 635 and is a top-notch facility. From personal experience, I can tell you that it has some of the rarest, most cutting-edge technology in the nation. This is primarily because Medical City thinks differently than other hospitals - it risks millions of dollars in the investment of new technologies. So far, this policy has paid off pretty well.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
The good hospitals in DFW are IN town, not "an hour or two away." Honestly, places that close don't have a decent hospital because their patients just go to the hospitals in DFW. When you get further away, you are working with the more rural/regional hospitals.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 AM

21 posts, read 56,257 times
The Texan,

That is exactly what I am looking for! Cutting-edge technology...I can't believe I forgot to mention that. Do you have your top 3? I don't want to just apply to one place, especially in this economy. From my quick search, I saw that there are a lot of private hospitals. I am not sure how I feel about that. But I'm open for anything right now.

Thanks again!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Look for a Level I Trauma Center if you want a lot of options in assignment.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
a pharmacist's wouldn't be looking for options in assignment would he--like a nurse might?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
My bad! I missed the pharmacist part. I see so many "nurses looking to move" posts that I assumed it was for nursing.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:19 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,456 times
Baylor University Medical Center!

And to the poster above, pharmacists have lots of "options" too, especially in larger medical centers. There are 7 on, 7 day off, flexible shifts, etc, including weekend options.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 PM

42 posts, read 164,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emgaivn View Post
The Texan,

That is exactly what I am looking for! Cutting-edge technology...I can't believe I forgot to mention that. Do you have your top 3? I don't want to just apply to one place, especially in this economy. From my quick search, I saw that there are a lot of private hospitals. I am not sure how I feel about that. But I'm open for anything right now.

Thanks again!
No problem! The only other hospital I have extensive experience with is Harris Methodist, but that's in neighboring Fort Worth. Also, it's a great hospital with beautiful facilities, but it is very timid when it comes to new technology. There is little new, cutting-edge technology there since the hospital is run so conservatively, so although it's a great place to work, if you want high-quality technology it's probably not your best bet.

My top three in the Dallas area would be:
1. Medical City (far North Dallas)
2. Baylor University Medical Center (East Dallas)
3. Presbyterian Hospital (North Dallas)

If you're looking for cutting-edge technology, I'd recommend Medical City enthusiastically.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:09 PM

168 posts, read 573,346 times
surprised to hear that UT Southwestern isnt up there in terms of the technology. I am not in the medical field, but teaching hospitals usually tend to be on the edge of things, right? technology, research, etc.? no? when you read the rankings lists nationally, seems that UT Southwestern is always at the top
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas