Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Dangerous? At least on my street, I'm going to call you on the carpet. You technically have to drive on the wrong side of the road every time you make a turn, and usually you're going faster than when I park on the wrong side of the road.

I'll give you the lazy point. Cause it's absolutely true, but to say it's inconsiderate is stretching it. In fact, one could argue that lefting the curb to park in front of YOUR house is more considerate than parking the correct direction and parking in front of someone else's house.

I recently got a parking ticket in front of my house. I'm not upset about it, I knew I was doing something technically illegal, but thought my neighbors would appreciate me not parking in front of their house and since everyone seems to do the same thing, I figured the city didn't hand out tickets for it. I've let my neighbors know, since it appeared that the tickets were handed out after regular commuter hours (since I was home, as I work from the house, I got the ticket). They've all started parking in the right direction now. About 1/3 the folks on my street park the wrong way. I hardly think that they are all inconsiderate. Lazy? Yup. We're all a bit lazy sometimes.

Brian

If there's room to park facing the wrong way in front of your house, there's room to park facing with the flow of traffic.

Why not just turn around and do it right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If there's room to park facing the wrong way in front of your house, there's room to park facing with the flow of traffic.

As stated in the response you replied to... laziness. The way I come home, I pull up to my house, check my mail and then pull forward 10-20 feet and park. This is what I see a good 50% of the folks on my street do.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:

Thank you!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:15 AM

806 posts, read 2,883,614 times
Quote:
As stated in the response you replied to... laziness.
Pardon my insouciance, but is that worth the cost of the citation? That ranks right up there with "But all those other cars were speeding too, officer, why don't you ticket them too?"

Old 03-10-2010, 02:40 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Pardon my insouciance, but is that worth the cost of the citation? That ranks right up there with "But all those other cars were speeding too, officer, why don't you ticket them too?"
In Dallas at least, it was $45. Count me with the people who don't mind parking the ''wrong way'' on a residential street. For the 20 years I've lived in this neighborhood, everyone has been doing it, and it has never, ever, been remotely dangerous. (Again, on a residential, suburuban street. Not talking about larger roads.)

But I understand that Dallas (and every city) needs some moneys, and hey, 45 bucks can help fill a pothole or something, so that's fine, even though I hope things go back to normal when the economy is doing better and Dallas doesn't need to up citations to pay for things.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm talking about a road like this.

Edit 2: The more I think about it, the more I find the whole thing silly for a street like the one I have linked to. We don't park the wrong way on these kinds of streets because we are lazy or inconsiderate, we do it because it genuinely doesn't matter. Because there are people parked on both sides of the street, there is only one driving lane, practically speaking, the ''center'' lane. So regardless of which direction a person is parked, he or she is going to have check both directions, and pull out into a lane that has no real direction anyway. It is effectively a dual direction lane. Bah.

Last edited by Fillmont; 03-10-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 05:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
people park the wrong way more times than not because they want to park on the side of the street where they know the people whose house they are parking in front of
and so they don't have to circle the block or come from different direction

and the cops are pulling out all stops to raise revenue...
$45 is not going to fill many potholes I am afraid though---

Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
people park the wrong way more times than not because they want to park on the side of the street where they know the people whose house they are parking in front of

You're right. I'll bet if they upped it to $200 or $300, more people would decide maybe it's not really a good idea.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Quote:
You're right. I'll bet if they upped it to $200 or $300, more people would decide maybe it's not really a good idea.
Why don't we just get the death penalty for that horrible crime?!

And let's include nose picking and farting for high fines.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Why don't we just get the death penalty for that horrible crime?!

And let's include nose picking and farting for high fines.
LOL lets also include driving too slow as a fine.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:53 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

Just make up for it in volume. I would rather police get the revenue that way rather than raising my city property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas