Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:56 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Pardon my insouciance, but is that worth the cost of the citation? That ranks right up there with "But all those other cars were speeding too, officer, why don't you ticket them too?"
Since I thought no one got ticketted for this offense, I didn't think I would either. Now that I know it is enforced, I park in the correct direction. So no, it's not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
LOL lets also include driving too slow as a fine.

You already can get a ticket for driving too slow, though it's not commonly enforced.

For instance, interstate's in Texas have a minimum 40 mph speed limit. If you're in the left lane of any mulitple lane highway and not overtaking the vehicle on your right, you can get a ticket for that too, which would essentially be a ticket for driving too slow.

As with parking in the wrong direction, just because nobody gets a ticket for it doesn't mean they can't, or that ignoring the traffic rules is a good idea.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Since I thought no one got ticketted for this offense, I didn't think I would either. Now that I know it is enforced, I park in the correct direction. So no, it's not worth it.
And miss out on the fun, for both parties, of pulling out into oncoming traffic, while sitting on the opposite side of the car? Where's the challenge in that?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
This is nothing more than the city fleecing the residents for cash. How anyone can see it any other way is beyond me. Calling it dangerous is pretty funny in my book.

Grainraiser

Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
This is nothing more than the city fleecing the residents for cash seems to imply there is something illegal about what the city is doing...there is not...
while you may not agree that it is time well spent by the police...it is not something like a speed trap which is designed to not be noticed until the speeder has entered the trap and been caught/cited by the patrol officer...
the idea that you can't park the wrong way was part of the TX driver's handbook rules of the road when I got my license--I would assume it is still there if people bother to read it before taking their test (although many people don't have to take a test now to get a license)...

and there are times when parking the wrong way and pulling out from that direction can be dangerous--not most of the time--but sometimes...

Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Sure, its cool to be a jackass. I get it. Anyways...I hope Dallas continues to write more of these parking on the wrong side of the street tickets. Its only one of the oldest rules in the book & one of the first things they teach you in Drivers Ed & Defensive Driving.

All I know is if someone hits your car while parked its not gonna be their fault, but rather yours for parking like an idiot. This is the reason they have orange & red reflectors on cars - for night time safety.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Sure, its cool to be a jackass. I get it. Anyways...I hope Dallas continues to write more of these parking on the wrong side of the street tickets. Its only one of the oldest rules in the book & one of the first things they teach you in Drivers Ed & Defensive Driving.

All I know is if someone hits your car while parked its not gonna be their fault, but rather yours for parking like an idiot. This is the reason they have orange & red reflectors on cars - for night time safety.
It is not being a jackass, at all, for small residential streets. It's not about laziness either.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 AM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
I will be the first to admit that it has been 30 years since I looked at a drivers ed manual. I personally have never heard of parking in the wrong direction. Heck I don't even know what is considered the correct way to park on a residential street. The only rule my neighborhood has is not to block fire hydrants or mail boxes. This is clearly an attempt to generate revenue for a cash strapped city. I fear many other cities will follow their lead. If the city was realy concerned they would have gave residents warnings and then issued citations. Most residential streets are so narrow that parking either direction offers the same benefits. I personally have never heard of a person being involved in a accident because someone parked in the wrong direction. This would be a valid arguement if we were talking about downtown or Greenville ave. It does not hold water for your typical residential street IMHO. They are enforcing it for the money not the safety of the residents pure and simple.

Grainraiser

Old 03-13-2010, 09:07 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
The only rule my neighborhood has is not to block fire hydrants or mail boxes. ---
that is not a NEIGHBORHOOD rule--it is a STATE/FEDERAL rule--
NO neighborhood can allow residents to block mailboxes or fire hydrants...

of course they are enforcing it for the money---no one is arguing that--but the rule was put there for GENERAL SAFETY--so that every street did not have to be on a separate plan judging if it was/was not safe for people to park going the opposite direction...
there are times that individual streets in towns have special parking regulations (like NO PARKING during hours of X to Y) and when those are in existence the city public works puts out special signs to notify drivers that different rules are in force...

Dude--the cities are cracking down on drivers in many ways to bring in additional funding--lots of people have posted about more police using radar enforcement, doing registration/inspection sticker pullovers---so it was a logical thing to go to this enforcement...
frankly there are probably some neighborhoods where this problem is much more pervasive than others and having people get tickets might improve the overall appearance of the neighborhood...

don't do the crime, if you can't do the time...

Old 03-13-2010, 02:08 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I will be the first to admit that it has been 30 years since I looked at a drivers ed manual. I personally have never heard of parking in the wrong direction. Heck I don't even know what is considered the correct way to park on a residential street. The only rule my neighborhood has is not to block fire hydrants or mail boxes. This is clearly an attempt to generate revenue for a cash strapped city. I fear many other cities will follow their lead. If the city was realy concerned they would have gave residents warnings and then issued citations. Most residential streets are so narrow that parking either direction offers the same benefits. I personally have never heard of a person being involved in a accident because someone parked in the wrong direction. This would be a valid arguement if we were talking about downtown or Greenville ave. It does not hold water for your typical residential street IMHO. They are enforcing it for the money not the safety of the residents pure and simple.

Grainraiser
My thoughts exactly. There is nothing lazy or idiotic about parking either way on these kinds of residential streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas