U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-07-2010, 09:37 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,044,723 times
My info is a bit dated since my son is high school aged now. He has had friends in a lot of those neighborhoods. Generally, the kids don't hang out with neighborhood kids. They tend to make friends at their private schools and then play with those kids. In late 1990s, early 2000s there were a lot of kids in Preston Hollow - public, private and boarding. My son went to preschool there and later was in private school. (His in public school now.)

There is plenty of wealth in all of North Dallas. Some of my son's friends live behind gates, fences and security which does not lead to playing with other neighborhood kids who are also behind their gates.

Bluffview is so pretty and my son has had a couple of friends in that area. These are really private families. Wealthy. They aren't bonding with the neighbors.

Agree about Devonshire (my mom grew up there) in that it's young couples just starting out and then they have babies and they eventually leave as the kids get older.

My son has one friend who lives in a child-filled 'hood and the kids do play together even though they are in different schools. It's the 'hood bounded by Park, Boedecker, Walnut Hill and Hillcrest. It's walking distance to North Park mall. I know a couple of those kids are at ESD and another at St. Monicas.

It seems like most of childrens' friends are developed through their schools. Kids they want to play with versus kids who happen to be around.

Personally, I found having the neighborhood kid thing to be very overrated. We had Kid Central years ago when the neighbor kids were all ages 4-8ish - 12 or so neighborhood kids - and none of these kids play together anymore and they haven't for years.

There was so much drama, so many disagreements, so many issues and problems and fighting and parents arguing - your kid did that, your kid said this, we don't approve of that, this kid isn't allowed to play with that kid and that kid isn't allowed to play with this kid but the older sibling is okay, and your kid made a bad Pokemon card trade with my kid, we don't allow TV watching and you do so my child can't play with yours anymore...ugh.

One mom actually said to me, "Neighbor kids aren't real friends so you can treat them worse." Just wait until some neighbor kid who practically lives at your house has a birthday party and doesn't invite your child to it. "Neighbor kids don't count," says the mom "You understand." Another family just abruptly moved away for the sole purpose of getting away from aggressive neighborhood kids (and these are all private school kids so moving didn't impact schools).

So, I would just buy whatever house you want and not try to find a house specifically for the [potential] neighbors.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 AM

4,937 posts, read 4,655,450 times
Wow FND! I don't think I like your neighbors too much!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Wow FND! I don't think I like your neighbors too much!
Oh, I could tell you stories, but I don't think it's that unusual. One of my son's good friends lives about 8 streets over and their end of the street was also child-filled and the kids all played together - until it all just blew up. One neighbor kid hated my son's friend and they ended up in a really crazy fist fight inside a play structure and that was about it for everyone - the final straw. The kids were about 7 years old. And these are nice families!

Another story - a couple of streets over two new families moved in - one with 2 kids and one with 3 kids. The one with 3 kids moved from North Dallas. When these two families moved in, the neighbors with kids went to go meet them and give them the Welcome to the Neighborhood basket. In both cases the families said they were not interested in "getting to know the neighbors." My guess is they got burned in their last neighborhoods. Well, small world, I know someone who knows the family with 3 kids - old neighbors of theirs - and sure enough they were escaping their old 'hood because their middle child was aggressive and not liked by the other neighbor kids. Neighbor parents were always at the family's door complaining about what their middle child did to their children. The family told the old neighbors they needed to move to be in public schools, but it wasn't true. They have been and still are in private school.

I'm sure people have good stories about neighborhood kids playing together fine and becoming life long friends. We had that growing up (in this exact same neighborhood where I am now), but the parents weren't involved in kid disagreements and they didn't seem to care if parenting styles and beliefs were different.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Oh, I could tell you stories, but I don't think it's that unusual. One of my son's good friends lives about 8 streets over and their end of the street was also child-filled and the kids all played together - until it all just blew up. One neighbor kid hated my son's friend and they ended up in a really crazy fist fight inside a play structure and that was about it for everyone - the final straw. The kids were about 7 years old. And these are nice families!

Another story - a couple of streets over two new families moved in - one with 2 kids and one with 3 kids. The one with 3 kids moved from North Dallas. When these two families moved in, the neighbors with kids went to go meet them and give them the Welcome to the Neighborhood basket. In both cases the families said they were not interested in "getting to know the neighbors." My guess is they got burned in their last neighborhoods. Well, small world, I know someone who knows the family with 3 kids - old neighbors of theirs - and sure enough they were escaping their old 'hood because their middle child was aggressive and not liked by the other neighbor kids. Neighbor parents were always at the family's door complaining about what their middle child did to their children. The family told the old neighbors they needed to move to be in public schools, but it wasn't true. They have been and still are in private school.

I'm sure people have good stories about neighborhood kids playing together fine and becoming life long friends. We had that growing up (in this exact same neighborhood where I am now), but the parents weren't involved in kid disagreements and they didn't seem to care if parenting styles and beliefs were different.
I had that too. I think what's happening now is the result of "helicoptor parenting." I can only think of one family with kids in my neighborhood who freak out over other peoples parenting styles. Apparently they don't have a problem with dh's and mine, so I guess that's good!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Here's a funny story. We had a family move in - 3 kids - they came from Lakewood. I know the family across the street from them quite well and their youngest was the same age and gender as the new family's middle child -they were 4th or 5th graders at the time. So, I say to my friend, "So does your daughter have a new friend?" And the mom made this ugly face and said, "Oh no. We don't want anything to do with families who make their school age kids go to bed at 7:30."

Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 AM

15,960 posts, read 25,173,018 times
I don't think I ever went to bed that early! Always a night owl..but I was not allowed to cross the street until first grade and not allowed to play in the creek for a couple more years -- although there is another great creek behind Lakewood Elementary (adjoins Stanley Marcus Estate) and we managed to get in a lot of exploring there..

Just went to our WW school choir gala and got all choked up about the seniors being recognized - you can really see the friendship on their faces --poignant and heartwarming. Some of them were really hamming it up in the last couple of numbers. I posted some pics on the Best Public School for Education and the Arts thread. Lifelong friends are the norm around here - went to another gathering of such who graduated in the 1980s at Snuffer's on Saturday night (and there's a "Facebook Party" Friday night at Lakewood Tavern). There are a lot of people who know each other or are related in some way so I don't think some of these parents and kids are going to get away with too much bickering. I think it can be difficult for 'helicopter parents' to take the leap of faith to trust Dallas public schools so maybe that's why we don't have many - and the ones we have are WELL-KNOWN to all!

Last statistics I saw showed 20% of Park Cities kids in private with 25% of Lakewood kids in private. We lose about 75 per grade in high school to privates and magnets. However, I talked to our principal last week and we have about 35 kids from private schools applying to be in the ninth grade pre-IB classes this fall.

I don't know if Lakewood is convenient for you but you can choose public or private there vs just private in some other areas. If you are set on N. Dallas private schools of course it will add 10-15 minutes to your trip.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:13 PM

Going totally off topic now (forgive me!), but I wonder if kids are even allowed to play in creeks anymore? We don't have one close to us where we are now, but I grew up on Bachman Branch and spent much of my childhood covered in poison ivy from exploring that creek!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 PM

15,960 posts, read 25,173,018 times
Fortunately poision ivy does not affect me - I was more afraid of snapping turtles in the creek/lake south of Yosemite which goes up to Ridgewood Park. One family even had a zip line that was about 300 feet back there! Also I was good friends with a bank president's son who really liked to fish off the bridge at Sperry - there's still a "NO FISHING" sign that was put up there because of us..

I know Lakewood Elementary kids still play in the creek - they actually raised a lot of money and created the Lakewood Outdoor Learning Area (LOLA) -- see website below and scroll down - pics and a site plan:

Science Safari Gallery

Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 PM

48 posts, read 165,473 times
Thanks again for all the input. A few quick reactions

- I was not trying to be insulting about the Park Cities. But I also dont want you to think that our opinions are purely anecdotal about it, either. We have spent time there. We have friends there. We know people there. And we know that our impressions dont universally describe everyone that lives there...but OVERALL, we wouldnt be comfortable there, even though our income would probably allow for it.
- It seems to not make sense to move into Park Cities if we arent going to use HPISD, which is why we were looking and asking about North Dallas.
- We havent decide whether we will go with an Independent school or a Parochial school yet. We have friends/know families at both types. And for the schools where we know families, I can guarantee you that there is a fair amount of geographic and economic diversity from the North Dallas suburbs of Plano, Addison, Richardson, etc. We know more than one family at St. Mark's that drives from the Grapevine/Colleyville area. So we may be right, we may be wrong, but our experience has been with a more diverse set of students and families OVERALL at some of the private schools that what we have experienced in HPISD.
- Lakewood would be a dreamy place to live, but feels like a bit too much of a commute from some of the North Dallas private schools we are considering -- St. Rita, CKS, St. Mark's, Greenhill, etc.

thanks again!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:38 PM

The neighborhoods near St. Rita have lots of kids, and according to a friend who has school aged kids, they play together outside even though they have a mixture of private and public school kids. She lives on Myerwood, sort of southwest of St. Rita. There are tons of Catholic families in that neighborhood.

adding- that zipcode is 75244

Last edited by TXNGL; 03-08-2010 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas