U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 AM

1,444 posts, read 2,303,698 times

Advertisements

You want to live in southlake, do it It time to live outside the box. You might be the catalyst for other blacks to move out to Southlake because it is a nice community.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 AM

930 posts, read 1,731,176 times
Naima is right though, most people who live in Southlake are not native Texans anymore, they are mostly transplants. Most of the "natives" have moved out. I know, I am one of them. I don't think people being unfriendly is an issue, but if the OP is asking if there are alot of blacks in Southlake, then no, there aren't, there never have been.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 AM

848 posts, read 1,470,573 times
As a general rule for living in the US, I've found that for affluent places to live, like Southlake, there is less racism because it's all about socio-economics. Even if the white people there have some racist tendencies, they don't hold it against the AA's who live there because they are affluent and don't fit the stereotypes or prejudices they hold.

Contrast that with a white dominated area that is poor. Like the place we all suggested that one racist troll go to, Argyle, TX. Not exactly a place I would recommend non-whites to move to. Poor people are generally less educated, and the less educated you are, the less likely you are to be worldly and if you are poor and grow up in a town that is 90%+ your race, you might have issues with other races.

Most wealthy areas in the US are going to have large white populations. But usually in those areas it's all about money, not skin color, so you can look different but if you are an executive, CEO, doctor, lawyer, pro athlete, whatever that makes you rich, it's all good...you and your family will be accepted.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,798,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
As a general rule for living in the US, I've found that for affluent places to live, like Southlake, there is less racism because it's all about socio-economics. Even if the white people there have some racist tendencies, they don't hold it against the AA's who live there because they are affluent and don't fit the stereotypes or prejudices they hold.

Contrast that with a white dominated area that is poor. Like the place we all suggested that one racist troll go to, Argyle, TX. Not exactly a place I would recommend non-whites to move to. Poor people are generally less educated, and the less educated you are, the less likely you are to be worldly and if you are poor and grow up in a town that is 90%+ your race, you might have issues with other races.

Most wealthy areas in the US are going to have large white populations. But usually in those areas it's all about money, not skin color, so you can look different but if you are an executive, CEO, doctor, lawyer, pro athlete, whatever that makes you rich, it's all good...you and your family will be accepted.
that is so true. well said

Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 AM

16,005 posts, read 26,111,246 times
Still, that's easy to say..when you are living in a virtually all-white environment.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:49 PM

10,263 posts, read 11,034,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

I think this is dead on. Southlake is a very affluent community and if you are allfuent, they will welcome you regardless of your race.

Its not about race, its about money.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:51 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,303,698 times
Dont let white flight or ay type of social race crap like that, determine your decision where your living. Because I promise you I want to live in University Park/Highland Park if people want to move, let em move.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:51 PM

16,005 posts, read 26,111,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Its not about race, its about money.
I've heard that one before, too..

Old 03-09-2010, 01:15 PM

3,596 posts, read 4,310,459 times
I am a black American and I urge you don't listen to these posters. They are offering bad advice simply put. Southlake is one of the least diverse areas in DFW. Why on God’s green earth would you encourage an African American NEWCOMER to the area Southlake. Downright foolish if you ask me.

Last edited by kdogg817; 03-09-2010 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-09-2010, 02:25 PM

164 posts, read 285,617 times
I live near Southlake and shop there often. I see very few blacks. But many rich soccer moms with attitudes. I am sure that the attitudes are even more exaggerated towards people of other races. Consider more diverse affluent areas such as Castle Hills, North Carrollton, Plano and Coppell if you are looking for good schools and neighborhoods. Western Dallas suburbs such as Flowermound, Grapevine, Colleyville and Southlake are unfortunately not as welcoming for someone conscious of race issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas