Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 02:35 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Southlake but don't see much diversity when I shop there. Dallas is a minority city and I truly believe in general the DFW area is accepting of African Americans. Your kids might be somewhat challenged by the lack of diversity but there are many ways -- thru school, church or clubs -- to find friends, as you are well aware.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNC View Post

Though the DFW metroplex is racially segregated in terms of neighborhoods, suburbs on a larger scale % wise, things have improved over time in the past 10-20 yrs. I remember a time when you didn't hardly any blacks in Coppell or Flower Mound versus say Lewisville. Today, it's not a huge %, but you do see them, on the athletic teams, etc. You don't have to go back too far when you could count on a hand the # of black students at the high schools in those 2 burbs. So things have improved. I remember when W. Plano too had VERY few black families (back when the tollway stopped prior to the Plano city limits). If you were black, you got stares. The % was very small. N. Carrollton had few blacks & minorities as well. And now, W Plano is a major draw for upper middle class blacks and Carrollton is full of diverse ethnicites. Still to this day I laugh at myself when i think back to these areas when they were smaller, bedroom communities. And Frisco was considered redneck, hillbilly, trailer park territory NOBODY (middle & upper middle classes) dared not drive to let alone live. I remember when the sign going to Frisco said "700 pop"...LOL....it was the farm. And look at it today! LOL. Territory changes as do images & reputations.
I think this highlights on a very important point. DFW and its suburbs have changed DRASTICALLY in the last 10-20 years. At one time, it might have been unthinkable for black families to move to west Plano, Carrollton, or Southlake (for example). The times are changing. Plano's dynamic is changing so fast that its no longer the hotspot for white families to move to. Its a HUGE destination for Chinese, Indian, Korean, and middle class Latino families. North Dallas is now home to a very large black population when 30 years ago, North Dallas was almost entirely white. As of 2007, the city of Dallas was 43% hispanic when it was mostly white as recent as 1998.

So I see no reason why a black family would hesitate to move to Southlake, Frisco, or wherever. Remember that DFW as a whole is 53% non-native (meaning not from Texas at all). The biggest contributors are LA, Chicago, Mexico, India, Korea, Vietnam, and El Salvador. This is having a huge impact and frankly, its for the better. DFW (along with Atlanta) is becoming more diverse faster than any other metro area in the US.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Territory changes as do images & reputations.

as well as mind sets and opinions...hopefully...

Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 AM

164 posts, read 501,944 times
I think they qualify as "African Americans" since America means all of North America. So black Mexicans are also "African Americans". You see, Americans should not just means citizens of United States but residents of all North American countries. That is what students have been taught by "educated and smart" teachers for over a decade now. LOL

Originally Posted by DaveG99
just curious and since lots of black people are interested in this thread I thought Id ask.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 03-12-2010, 07:25 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
My only experience with Southlake is the football team. I know for certain there were a few blacks on the team. I have have a co-worker from Kenya that lives in Southlake. No Southlake is not diverse. This does not mean that it is racist. It is a great community with great schools. The question becomes diversity vs quality education. I personally would move to Southlake if I could afford it. I just know that I would have to take a more active role in teaching my kids about the black experience. Just about every ubber affluent area is going to lack diversity. You would be the first black family and you certainly want be the last.

Grainraiser

Old 07-02-2010, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,854 times
I built a home in Southlake 17 years ago. Over this period of time our population has grown from approximately 8K to 27K. As noted in the city's demographics, Southlake is predominately white. However, I know of Indian (Asian), Hispanic and AA families to be comfortable and successful residents. Also, Southlake has a history of being attractive to AA professional atheletes and their families.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:05 PM

101 posts, read 289,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I am a black American and I urge you don't listen to these posters. They are offering bad advice simply put. Southlake is one of the least diverse areas in DFW. Why on God’s green earth would you encourage an African American NEWCOMER to the area Southlake. Downright foolish if you ask me.
I'm sorry I normally don't comment but I have to agree with kdogg817. You all are telling someone who has never lived in Dallas before to move to a place where there is 90% whites. That doesn't make sense. For one you really don't know what the other 10% is made up of. IT could all be asians or some other totally different race. Blacks could end up being only 1%.

For 2 it is harder to accept another kind in some of these neighborhoods if they don't know you from the community. What I am saying is that if you were from another city or community around Southlake they might be more accepting of you.

Also your chldren are already going to go through an emotional change when you move, so putting them in that kind of environment might not be advicable. I would suggest possibly choosing a community that will be more diverse for the children. Also buying a house straight out without knowing whether people are going to accept your not isn't the best idea IMO.

Also just because one resident in Southlake would accept you doesn't mean they all will. Trust me if they all start talking about the new resident, it's a possiblity they will fly with their current neighbors.

Lastly in my daughter's school they also ask that they give invitations to all the students to a party so as to not offend anyone. That doesn't mean it has anything to do with diversity. In fact it has more to do with courtesy.

This is just my opinion. I understand what you are trying to do, but at the same time it could do more damage then good.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:22 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
^^^The age old argument that predominately white cities and racist cities are one and the same.

And people wonder why segregation still exists. Its by choice.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,720 times
I am a single African-American living in the grapevine/southlake area. Whites, Hispanics, asians, and others have been very accepting towards us. This area has a lot to offer grade school kids. Lots of parent involvement. everything you need....shopping, schools, bowling, movies, skating, water parks are within 10 minutes....also auto repair, restaurants, mall, in between two large cities....dallas and fort worth....it's a great place to live!

Old 08-29-2010, 01:53 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Southlake isnt a racist place, but dont expect to be around alot of other African Americans.

The easiest way to say it is that if all youre looking for is for you and your family to be accepted, then Southlake will work fine for you. If you want to be in a places with a decent sized African-American community, it wont work for you.
I lived in Frisco another upscale suburb in the DFW area. I recently moved out of state. Here's my take, if you carry yourself in a manner that is worthy of respect and treat people with respect and decency then you should have no problems. Southlake has some very nice schools and some former Dallas Cowboys that happen to be African-Americans have children that attended Southlake schools. If these children were treated badly it would have been newsworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas