Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 11:02 PM

146 posts, read 437,592 times

Advertisements

My husband and I visited Shoal Creek this weekend and really liked the plethora of floorplan options and quality construction and the location was excellent. It's not Richardson, but definitely more convenient than the neighborhood we're considering in Wylie. My only sticking point is the monthly maintenance fees. Almost $200 a month. My hubby says it's worth it to not have to spend time each week on yard work (we're on a heavily-treed acre lot now), and it's only 10 minutes to his office. Does anyone have any knowledge/words of wisdom to share about this development or builder (Landstar)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 11:38 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
It is a townhome community so that is why your HOA dues are higher. The entire exterior is covered in the $195 a month, this will make your homeowners insurance lower too. I have a second contract there right now building the biggest floorplan that they have (The Fairmont) and it's on the creek. I think it's an excellent floorplan and doesn't give you the feel that you are in a townhome.

If you are not familiar with this builder, they've been around for a long time. They are the ones that developed the big neighborhood off Renner Road and North Star by Breckenridge with single family homes in the late 90s. They build office buildings too.

Naima

Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 PM

Ah. Thanks, Naima! Truly appreciate your feedback! Yeah, I know that's why the fees are high, just never paid that much and wonder if it's the best fit for us. Seems like it, though. Anything that allows us to spend more time together seems worth it. Soooo, that was your client's beautiful view we saw. We loved the Fairmont, but don't want to spend that much. We may consider a smaller plan on the creek. We didn't think we'd be able to find a creek/tree view in our new budget. I'm trying not to get too giddy (LOL) about the possbilities there, since I'm s'posed to be focused on the little details we need to wrap up before our current home hits the market next week.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:00 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
I live across from Shoal Creek, they do have beautiful floor plans, however they are not selling well. The subdivision has been under construction for over two years and is still not complete. Sometimes they go months on end without any new constructions. They also dropped the starting price of the units from $200k to $175k.

Also the dead end street that leads to Shoal Creek is part of Naaman School Road, and construction has already begun to connect it to the arm over by Walmart and Target. I would expect a lot of construction noise in coming months, and eventually increased traffic.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
I live across from Shoal Creek, they do have beautiful floor plans, however they are not selling well. The subdivision has been under construction for over two years and is still not complete. Sometimes they go months on end without any new constructions. They also dropped the starting price of the units from $200k to $175k.

Also the dead end street that leads to Shoal Creek is part of Naaman School Road, and construction has already begun to connect it to the arm over by Walmart and Target. I would expect a lot of construction noise in coming months, and eventually increased traffic.
Mary, thanks so much for the on-the-ground feedback, especially about the road extension! I do see that's NF and it's set to be extended, which is surprising because I thought that treeline was part of the Spring Creek Forest Preserve?? Also, the property manager said they're half-way through the build and expect to be there two more years before build out. That doesn't concern me as much since it sounds like they began the community just as the economy trended down, plus they've been building homes since the 70s. That's a good indicator, right?

Old 03-14-2010, 01:01 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
It really comes down to a matter of lifestyle too. Because of the price range they are in, being a luxury townhome, you can drive a few miles up to Wylie and get a single family home in the same price range. That is their biggest competition I think.

There is a new development in Richardson by Spring Valley and Greenville by David Weekley has SFR if newer construction is important to you.

Naima

Old 03-14-2010, 10:46 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgreenmover View Post
Mary, thanks so much for the on-the-ground feedback, especially about the road extension! I do see that's NF and it's set to be extended, which is surprising because I thought that treeline was part of the Spring Creek Forest Preserve?? Also, the property manager said they're half-way through the build and expect to be there two more years before build out. That doesn't concern me as much since it sounds like they began the community just as the economy trended down, plus they've been building homes since the 70s. That's a good indicator, right?
The economy is definitely a big factor in the units not moving, in addition to how hard it is to get approved for a loan right now. Because single family dwelling are so cheap here townhomes and condos aren't as popular as they are in more urban cities. Resale would be only long time concern. Personally I think it would be great not to have to deal with yard work, and Shoal Creek is much nicer than other townhome developments in the area. There is another one just a little further up 190 closer to the mall and they look a it cheap.

The location here is great, you have Kroger right here and a Tom Thumb down the road. You can be at Firewheel and and number of restaurants in minutes. There's a lot of great stuff going up in Richardson at Campbell and 190. You can also get to Plano in minutes. Just about anything you can think of is within a 15 minute drive. There's even a nice park across the way.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
The economy is definitely a big factor in the units not moving, in addition to how hard it is to get approved for a loan right now. Because single family dwelling are so cheap here townhomes and condos aren't as popular as they are in more urban cities. Resale would be only long time concern. Personally I think it would be great not to have to deal with yard work, and Shoal Creek is much nicer than other townhome developments in the area. There is another one just a little further up 190 closer to the mall and they look a it cheap.

The location here is great, you have Kroger right here and a Tom Thumb down the road. You can be at Firewheel and and number of restaurants in minutes. There's a lot of great stuff going up in Richardson at Campbell and 190. You can also get to Plano in minutes. Just about anything you can think of is within a 15 minute drive. There's even a nice park across the way.
Mary, all those good things are factors weighing on the "go for it" side of the scale. That location is awesome. When my husband and I were courting, I was out of state. He would visit that Kroger to buy dry ice for Blue Bell Moo-llenium Crunch care packages. ;-) We plan to stay put for seven to 10 years and then re-evaluate. If the house is still working for us then, we'll stay put. We've narrowed the search to Woodbridge and Shoal Creek, unless our realtor finds a renovated, older place in Richardson. We'll see. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas