Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:17 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,230 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

Wondering if I could get some feedback on North Hills School. Is is well liked? Before and after school programs? Are the kids happy that attend there? Would you all send your kids there if you lived close enough? Waiting list?

Thanks for the help.

Are there any other charter schools or private schools in Las Colinas/ Irving area that are recommended (and affordable for private school)?

Old 06-06-2007, 02:14 PM

158 posts, read 659,451 times
Before I moved, three years ago, I had neighbors whose two boys attended North Hills and the parents LOVED it. They said it is very rigorous academically; that is the focus--not sports. In fact, at that time they only had soccer. The kids had about a 30-40 minute commute, so they started homework as soon as they got in the car and spent most evenings doing homework. We attended an orientation and it was packed. Admission is lottery, but once your in, your in (I think) until you leave. I haven't heard anything bad about it. I think it was on one of those "top 100 public schools in the US" lists recently. The boys seemed to like it too--they just said it was "hard".

Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,816 times
If you like worksheets and a school that claims they are private...which they are not . They are charter, then this is the school for you. I've had many parents take their kids out of that school because there was too much emphasis put on homework.

I personally want my son to have the best opportunities education can offer. Academics, fine arts, athletics, community service.... Universities look at more than just grades these days. I want my son to be able to experience a well balanced education etc. for this very reason. In my heart and soul I believe this can happen in a strong ISD.

Most of the districts around North Hills are very good if not excellent. I'm not here to start a debate on which school district is better as I have my opinion and many others on this forum have theirs . I'm just saying take a moment to to research what the school district in which you live has to offer. You might find that it isn't as bad out there as the media and some parents claim. I'm serious about this.

I'm also not saying that NH has a bad environment. I'm just saying I think there is more to life than what is perceived by many parents that have there children attend this school.

My nephew is on a full ride scholarship both academically and for athletics. I'd say he had a pretty strong foundation and preparation for the university system and he attended a local district. He just finished his freshman year and after the summer class he is taking currently he will be considered a junior. His A.P. exams allowed for this to occur. My son will begin public school in a district other than the one I work for and I have no reservations about the quality of education he will receive. I took the time to visit and meet with the school admin team at his school. I even got to meet some of the teachers and talk to them about their methods for teaching (this was done in an informal friendly manner and it was not me conducting an interview of the staff. )

I hope families continue to think it through before deciding on a charter school or any school for that matter. Research and find what is best for your family and your child.

Last edited by sonshinelife; 06-06-2007 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: revising

Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,230 times
Where is North Hills? I will check out public as well. Currently we are relocating to Dallas area from Minnesota where my child attended a private Christian school. He had a lot of homework and had 11 kids in his class mix of K and 1st graders. They had a lot of homework as well so he is used to it. He has ADD and made the A honor roll. He reads words like although and thourough very well. He reads equivelent to a 3rd grader and spells very well. Math is not his best subject and this frustrates him. I like the class size and am afraid he won't be challenged in Public School. More importantly he is tall and skinny and moves a lot and I know he will get bullied by others because of his kind heart. I am not sure he will do well in public school. That is why I am thinking about a Charter school. It would be nice if Charter school had a good theater and music program like some public schools do.

We are used to private school so public will be a huge leap. If I can get private school benefits at a public school cost...why not? When does the lottery close?

Old 06-07-2007, 09:30 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
According to their website it ended Dec. 1, 2006 for the 07-08 school year.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Oh, you know what, Dallas is lucky in that there are several private schools for kids with learning disabilities and/or ADHD should you ever have the need. They are for kids with average to above average intelligence and are expensive but worth every penny.

The Shelton School (largest LD school in the world, about 850 kids)
The Winston School
Fairhill
Dallas Academy
Oak Hill

Old 06-08-2007, 08:22 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
FYI, charter schools are NOT private schools. They are PUBLIC schools and still must do TAKS tests and all. A true private school does not do the TAKS tests that are required of public schools in Texas. There have been issues w/ many of the charter schools in the area so I would investigate any of them heavily before I put my kids in one. If your child is close to high school age then check with the Dallas ISD and their program at Booker T. Washington. This school has had MANY notable graduates that are well known for their muscial and theaterical accomplishments (Norah Jones for one). Just like Dallas has some very good magnets many other distircts do also. The district that I am in has a classical center for the arts starting in elementary and going on up thru high school. For elem. and middle school they have their own campus. I have a child in the gifted and talented magnet and has been since kindergarten and it is in our public school system. I could not find anything that even comes close in a private school to give her the challenge she needs to keep motivated. Do some looking around and you might be surprised that the public schools may be far better off than you think.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:24 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,816 times
momof2dfw... I agree 100% ... well put.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 9,138 times
I graduated from North Hills...it is an excellent school, with very strong academics. My first year of college was a breeze compared to my senior year at TNHS. The general social problems are very low there-- no drugs, little smoking, no drinking, no pregnancies. The teachers are truly amazing people. The only reason not to go to TNHS is if you don't want to be pushed really really hard academically. If you can cut it, though, it's very good.
Booker T, on the other hand, has very serious drug problems, etc. They do train their students well, and the shows they put on are very good, but the moral qualities of the school are seriously lacking. Just a heads up.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
schools don't have moral--people do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas