Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:23 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times

Advertisements

The Bridge Homeless Shelter is over there in that part of town, too.

Everytime I drive along that part of the freeway and I see those apartments just right there - the 3rd floor windows just so close to the highway I think, there is no way I would live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 02:02 PM

229 posts, read 606,978 times
yeah OP needs to just go to uptown

Old 03-20-2010, 10:54 PM

22 posts, read 66,271 times
Quote:
Where is the job going to be located? Why/how did you choose Camden Farmers Market? The location is of course entirely your option but if I were going for an apartment, this wouldn't be it.
My job is in the 2700 block of Stemmens(spelling?) Freeway. I chose Camden because I heard great things about this complex and they appear to offer more bang for your buck. It's not final yet because I haven't seen it in person. I'll be in town either next week or the following week to visit some places in person and make a decision. Thank you for this information! I will definately keep all of this in mind when I come. I also have some apartments in Uptown that I plan to visit

Quote:
congratulations.
I"m in Maryland and i'm tryingto leave myself. Why did it take you two years??
Thanks!! It took me 2 yrs because I had to wait and then compete for an opening at our Dallas office(long story...). I hope it doesn't take you that long lifesprecious09

Old 03-20-2010, 10:58 PM

Also, is Uptown safe??

Old 03-20-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
You're not going to find anything that is remotely as interesting as the Baltimore Harbor area. Not even a pool of water. There will be dozens of buses daily, roaring by.
WillysB, do you mean near the Camden apartments or Dallas in general?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Uptown is as safe as anywhere you will find in near town Dallas - yes. I think you'll find more of interest in Uptown than the Camden or Deep Ellum or downtown. Given the rents shown in the link you'll be glad you kept looking.

Right next to Uptown is Oak Lawn, just across Turtle Creek. Rents will be higher in Uptown than other areas. Careful with Oak Lawn as the Love Field jet path is directly over head. Some say it's the gay area but it's more a trendy area. It is where the gay gather but so do some high dollar dwellers.

I've hung out around Baltimore Harbor a few times and thought it was fairly cool, there on biz for the telco. Dallas does have the West End (west end of downtown) which is kind of touristy and may be like the harbor... I've only been there a coupla times. If I lived in Baltimore I probly wouldn't hang out at the harbor either. Not to worry, you'll find plenty of entertainment.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:35 PM

Oh ok! Im checking out the link now! Thanks!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:26 AM

326 posts, read 962,232 times
There's nothing wrong with the Camden Farmers Market. They have an active community of residents and have started their own Crime Watch to address some of the crime issues from the past. It's right next to the Farmers Market (which is greatly improving and a busy place on weekends) and Deep Ellum (bars, nightclubs, restaurants), but kind of on the traditional edge of the downtown freeway loop. A few blocks over you'll find the Main Street District, which has a lot of historic older lofts mixed with newer luxury high rises. From the Farmers Market you'd probably have to drive to Uptown, but from the Main Street District you could walk to the M-Line Streetcar or take DART to Cityplace/West Village. It depends on what kind of place you want... if you want to be right in the middle of the trendy action within walking distance of bars and shopping but don't mind paying a high price for it, Uptown is the place to be. If you want something cheaper without the trendy neighborhood, Farmers Market is a good deal. If you want something in the middle, Downtown is a good option. I've lived in the Main Street District for the past 3 years and love it (especially with the brand new park and restaurants/bars opening), and I can easily walk to the Farmers Market, Arts District, Uptown, Deep Ellum, and I'm right near the DART line. There is a smaller community of residents but it has come a long way from being a pure business center over the past several years. I've also never had any crime issues in the area. There's an official list of all the downtown/Uptown residences here: Residences | Downtown Dallas

Last edited by dfwcre8tive; 03-21-2010 at 01:35 AM..

Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 AM

This is good to hear! Thank you! I was online all night checking out the apartments in uptown. It's a great area, but the apartments seem really expensive. This wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so tiny or had nicer amenities. I'm still going to check out all of the areas mentioned during my visit. Although I would love to live right in the heart of a happening place, sacrificing a short drive to get more of my money's worth won't be so horrible....as long as it's safe. My apartment search agent also sent me some listings in lakewood/east dallas. He said it's not in the middle of the action but still a nice area.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:01 PM

32 posts, read 57,419 times
I would definetly recomment Uptown if you can fnd something. Its a much triendier, more exciting, and safer area than the Farmer's market. Its also right along dart lines to get into downtown. If you can find something, GO THERE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas