U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:07 PM

313 posts, read 1,569,525 times

Advertisements

we actually drove through SBR today, just to see it again..

I keep reading about lakes, parks, walking trails, but when I drive through there.. I dont see it, Partly because I think it's just SOOOO big.

I will say on a positive, it as a very nice "feel" to it, I think due to the bigger trees, it's really pretty. Overall after driving through today I felt that it was a very pretty place.

I guess living in Frisco it's just what I have come to like and one of the selling points of SBR is it's proximity to Frisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 08:27 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,021,868 times
We all have different requirements, tastes and priorities when looking for housing. If not, we'd have 6 million people living on top of each other (and it would feel like Sao Paulo Brazil).

I told you Mckinney wasn't bad, it's just enormous and most people judge all of Mckinney by what they see off the access roads on the 75. That area is 8 miles away from me.

As for SBR, it was designed in the 80s (then it went bankrupt, thenwas reborn) so the large streets and copious amounts of open space are very indicitive of that time. Designed today, things would be alot tighter (like SW Frisco).

If you want to see the best lake, get on 121 and go east, turn left onto Custer. About 3 miles down, turn right onto Stonebridge Parkway. Take SB Parkway to Virginia, then turn right, then turn right again into the Starbucks parking lot - get beverage - then drive back behind Starbucks. That's where Adriatica is being built. Very classic European architecure which includes a host of cool places like a chocalate factory, outdoor ampitheatre, victorian hotel, 2 wineries, an Irish Pub and more I can't recall. That's Kings Lake (check out the houses across the lake - SIC). They are actually going to comission a huge boat of some kind and moor it right there on that lake as well, so it will be a harbor of sorts. If you look across to the other side to the left, that's the SBR beach club....you can rent small fishing/paddle boats over there. It's also where the beach club is, which is really just another Texas man-made lake (shallow and cleaned/drained once a year) filled with white sand and shaded by a bunch of trees.

Now if you jump back on Virginia and head west, then take a right back onto Stonebridge (your not done yet), go to the end of SB Parkway...as you reach the end, look to your left and that's lake La Cima. That's where I'm going to teach you how to fish :-) From here, turn left onto the 380 and head West. The tollway is 5 miles down (huge shopping center like Stonebriar will be built there soon) and you'll know how to get home from that point. Frisco is really my next door nieghbor and I planned it that way. Frisco is a great town. Prosper to the north, northwest Allen and Plano to the south. Not bad company at all.

Most of the other lakes are hidden in communities (some gated), so you wont see them driving through, but I believe total there are like 14. Many of them are stocked with fish (hopefully not gar). The sad thing is that it's a catch and release policy...so we wont be grilling any of em up in a pan with some butter.

Last edited by socketz; 06-09-2007 at 08:42 PM..

Old 06-10-2007, 07:27 AM

313 posts, read 1,569,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
We all have different requirements, tastes and priorities when looking for housing. If not, we'd have 6 million people living on top of each other (and it would feel like Sao Paulo Brazil).

I told you Mckinney wasn't bad, it's just enormous and most people judge all of Mckinney by what they see off the access roads on the 75. That area is 8 miles away from me.

As for SBR, it was designed in the 80s (then it went bankrupt, thenwas reborn) so the large streets and copious amounts of open space are very indicitive of that time. Designed today, things would be alot tighter (like SW Frisco).

If you want to see the best lake, get on 121 and go east, turn left onto Custer. About 3 miles down, turn right onto Stonebridge Parkway. Take SB Parkway to Virginia, then turn right, then turn right again into the Starbucks parking lot - get beverage - then drive back behind Starbucks. That's where Adriatica is being built. Very classic European architecure which includes a host of cool places like a chocalate factory, outdoor ampitheatre, victorian hotel, 2 wineries, an Irish Pub and more I can't recall. That's Kings Lake (check out the houses across the lake - SIC). They are actually going to comission a huge boat of some kind and moor it right there on that lake as well, so it will be a harbor of sorts. If you look across to the other side to the left, that's the SBR beach club....you can rent small fishing/paddle boats over there. It's also where the beach club is, which is really just another Texas man-made lake (shallow and cleaned/drained once a year) filled with white sand and shaded by a bunch of trees.

Now if you jump back on Virginia and head west, then take a right back onto Stonebridge (your not done yet), go to the end of SB Parkway...as you reach the end, look to your left and that's lake La Cima. That's where I'm going to teach you how to fish :-) From here, turn left onto the 380 and head West. The tollway is 5 miles down (huge shopping center like Stonebriar will be built there soon) and you'll know how to get home from that point. Frisco is really my next door nieghbor and I planned it that way. Frisco is a great town. Prosper to the north, northwest Allen and Plano to the south. Not bad company at all.

Most of the other lakes are hidden in communities (some gated), so you wont see them driving through, but I believe total there are like 14. Many of them are stocked with fish (hopefully not gar). The sad thing is that it's a catch and release policy...so we wont be grilling any of em up in a pan with some butter.

thanks man! we will check out that lake, I did want to see Adriatica.

I have to come scout where I'll be reeling in the big un's

Old 07-16-2007, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,855 times
Default We picked Frisco

Going back to the original thread, we picked Frisco after looking at McKinney and Allen as well. It really had the best potential for home appreciation in 5 years as infrastructure cathes up with growth, a common problem in many North Texas communities.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - Dallas View Post
The only community I liked was Pearson Farms but the floor plan wasnt a great fit. Also in my price range my options were limited unless I decided to consider panther creek or greyhawk.
What was wrong with Greyhawk ? I am planning on buying a house here and hence was curious

Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 AM

549 posts, read 1,972,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsawant View Post
What was wrong with Greyhawk ? I am planning on buying a house here and hence was curious
Too many homes, I don't like these huge master planned communities. Also I didn't like it while driving around, I cannot explain it but I wasn't "feeling it" Also if you go to Frisco Online, I read too many issues within the community.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:45 AM

77 posts, read 305,830 times
I grew up in Plano, have lived in Mckinney for the last 4 years and am moving to Allen next week. I don't care for Frisco and don't think it will have the appreciation people think it will. It's very cookie cutter, traffic is terrible and construction will be going on for a long time. The city has lots to offer but you have to like the feel of the town. There are some really nice neighborhoods but driving in traffic around town was enough to make me want to look elsewhere.
Stonebridge Ranch in Mckinney is really the best spot in Mckinney. We didn't live there and perhaps if I did, I wouldn't have wanted to move away so quickly. Mckinney can be a bit of a drive but is pretty easy to get access in to and out of. Taxes are on the high side and I've been disappointed in the cities mgmt. and planning.
We chose Allen because it brings me a little closer to work in Richardson, has great access to Frisco, Plano, and Mckinney, has lower taxes than Mckinney, and we like the feel and # of parks. Star Creek, Twin Creeks and Waterford are all pretty nice. We bought in Waterford but Twin Creeks is my favorite. Star Creek is nice as well but you pay a premium for the name and the splash park. My house would have been $100k more in Star Creek.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:34 AM

43 posts, read 197,157 times
Wow, so many opinions!! LOL... Here is our story... WE, wife and two sons moved to Plano in the summer of 01 (job) I worked in Allen, Tx...We did the apartment thing for 2.4 years (Yikes) and then built a new home in Craig Ranch, (McKinney with Frisco ISD) We love North Texas, Frisco, McKinney, Allen, even Plano...all nice places to live, with lots to offer depending upon your taste. IMO Frisco has the best schools ever...

Last year we moved to Charlotte, NC (job) and Miss Texas like crazy, We are planning a move back there later this year.. I will be looking into homes in Frisco (Denton County for taxes) Love that area...

Yes you must be smart about the home you purchase, and the area in which you want to live, but at the end of the day it is a house...Like a job, if your not happy with it move on...just my .02 worth...

And for what it's worth, most new home builders are pretty good, noone is perfect, some are better than others just depends on what you can afford..Too many folks come in with cavier taste on a tuna budget..Deal with it... I like having a warranty on my house, not buying someone elses issues...unless they want to give it away and if it has a pool...lol..

Old 08-16-2007, 02:07 AM

5 posts, read 23,840 times
Default Parker won out

Thank you for all your feedback. After looking at lot sizes, Parker Village won out in Parker (David Weekley homes). 5013 sq ft home on an acre for less than it cost for much smaller lots in McKinney (which was beautiful with its trees and hills and has great shopping). Hubby is less than 5 miles from work with no freeway driving which makes for a very happy spouse. We are out in the country, but very accessible to shopping, have a brand new elementary school, and have a nice little plot of land.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:48 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,313,389 times
Frisco has just about everything you could ever want. Even its own stadium for soccer and concerts. It is a more conservative city though. Mostly white republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or