U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Dallas
452 posts, read 1,195,152 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

My husband and I have tried and tried to find out what to do with our sharps. I have asked every doctor I have and none of them know. I have called the fire department, the hazmat department, the sanitation department, the hospital... no one knows. It's been two years and we have quite a few needles! Anyway, anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 PM
 
26 posts, read 56,909 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaZelda View Post
My husband and I have tried and tried to find out what to do with our sharps. I have asked every doctor I have and none of them know. I have called the fire department, the hazmat department, the sanitation department, the hospital... no one knows. It's been two years and we have quite a few needles! Anyway, anyone know?
Hi SepiaZelda,

I would suggest you go into your search engine and type in "Dallas Medical Waste Disposal." When I did it, I got several in Dallas and surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Dallas
452 posts, read 1,195,152 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow rose View Post
Hi SepiaZelda,

I would suggest you go into your search engine and type in "Dallas Medical Waste Disposal." When I did it, I got several in Dallas and surrounding areas.
I did that but it appears that all of those companies only service medical professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Topeka, KS
1,560 posts, read 6,455,179 times
Reputation: 487
Have you checked around with the local hospitals? We take our daughter's needles to Scottish Rite for disposal. Also I know that both my mother-in-law and father-in-law (divorced) order their needles online. The companies they order from offer, for a nominal fee, a bio-hazard container for a disposal. Once the container is full you slap the return label on it and ship it back to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Dallas
452 posts, read 1,195,152 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
Have you checked around with the local hospitals? We take our daughter's needles to Scottish Rite for disposal. Also I know that both my mother-in-law and father-in-law (divorced) order their needles online. The companies they order from offer, for a nominal fee, a bio-hazard container for a disposal. Once the container is full you slap the return label on it and ship it back to them.
Hmmmm! I wonder if they would notice that the majority of the needles in their boxes are prefilled seringes we didn't order from them? I did check with Baylor and they couldn't tell me anything. Isn't this the oddest thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Topeka, KS
1,560 posts, read 6,455,179 times
Reputation: 487
I doubt they'll inventory the contents. I hear it's not safe to handle those things once they're used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Dallas
452 posts, read 1,195,152 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
I doubt they'll inventory the contents. I hear it's not safe to handle those things once they're used.
I've heard that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 07:25 PM
 
Location: la hacienda
2,259 posts, read 8,629,194 times
Reputation: 1146
How about asking at a Walgreens or CVS pharmacy? They might be able to point you in the right direction. It does seem strange that this info is not readily available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 08:40 PM
 
Location: White Rock Valley - Dallas
197 posts, read 1,045,147 times
Reputation: 81
Too bad you don't live in Houston. Hobby Airport has sharps' disposal boxes in every men's room.

Don't ask me why.

The other alternative is this: slap a hazmat sticker on the box and walk into your nearest hospital with it it a grocery store bag. Leave it on the floor outside the nearest lab. I guarantee it will be disposed of, quickly and correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Topeka, KS
1,560 posts, read 6,455,179 times
Reputation: 487
Of course if the security guards see you, there might be an interesting story to embarrass you kids down the road too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top