U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 11:16 AM

24 posts, read 67,483 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Dallas, but have am wondering which neighborhoods I should visit during my next trip out...

1) CREEPY CRAWLIES - I am phobic of bugs, etc. I read that there are some huge palmetto bugs, tarantellas, & scorpions in Dallas but that if I live in a newer home, away from mature trees, I should be safe from the creepy crawlies. Is that true? If so, can you suggest any areas that keep me pretty safely away from these critters?

2) CITY / NEIGHBORHOOD - I'd like to live in a (possibly downtown) safe place that's ideal for a 33yo female (with 2 Chihuahuas) to be within a short walk or drive to jobs as well as socializing (nightlife, restaurants, etc - since I won't know anyone I don't want to be bound to the burbs where I can't meet people). Hopefully downtown Dallas isn't one of those cities that shuts down at 5pm when everyone retires to the burbs.

Thanks so much everyone for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 11:52 AM

3,350 posts, read 5,167,133 times
Quote:
1) CREEPY CRAWLIES - I am phobic of bugs, etc. I read that there are some huge palmetto bugs, tarantellas, & scorpions in Dallas but that if I live in a newer home, away from mature trees, I should be safe from the creepy crawlies. Is that true? If so, can you suggest any areas that keep me pretty safely away from these critters?
It's hit or miss. For example, Flower Mound (newer nice homes) has a huge rat problem because the city was built on their natural habitat. Every place is going to have something, but if you take care of it and don't freak out about it too much, you'll be fine. Your best bet is just to get the property sprayed and look for signs of roaches before you move in. I've been in Texas 7 years and never seen a tarantula, scorpion, or huge palmetto bug. Texas is no more "creepy crawly" than anywhere else--it's just warmer here.

For places to live, I'd check out Uptown, Oak Lawn, and the areas around White Rock (M Streets, Junius Heights, Lakewood, Knox Henderson)

Old 03-27-2010, 12:20 PM

24 posts, read 67,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
It's hit or miss. For example, Flower Mound (newer nice homes) has a huge rat problem because the city was built on their natural habitat. Every place is going to have something, but if you take care of it and don't freak out about it too much, you'll be fine.... Texas is no more "creepy crawly" than anywhere else--it's just warmer here.
I know what you mean about hit or miss. Our condo newsletter mentioned a snake problem for a few of the buildings (since we back to a state park). I've been here over a year, and with 2 dogs, get outside often, and I've never seen anything more gross than a worm or a slug (not even a mouse). Since we're near a state park, though I've never seen either, I do know that mice and snakes *could* be here, so I'm mentally prepared (and my home is prepared as well).

What makes relocating scary is the unknown - you don't know the city so you don't know which areas are "prone" to which critters and what to do if you do cross paths.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:30 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,896,437 times
Downtown "sortof" shuts down at 6:00, but Uptown doesn't. I say "sortof" regarding downtown because it's not as bad as it used to be. There are more full time residents in downtown now and the shows at in the Arts districts keep it more alive later and there are a few restaurants serving dinner and some bars. The underground tunnels close at 7pm.

Uptown is really just across Woodall Rogers freeway and soon Uptown and downtown will be joined by a "deck park" that is being built over Woodall Rogers frereway, which is sunk down a bit. Uptown is more alive at night since it has pubs, bars, restaurants, retail, grocery stores and more residential.

I have never seen a scorpian in Dallas. I saw quite a few in Austin. I have not seen a recent tarantula in Dallas. They seem to be in more rural areas. I recall seeing them in Dallas when I was a kid and this area was first built upon. I'm talking 30-40 years ago. I see them a lot at our lakehouse.

Yeah, there are roaches and those palmetto bugs. I don't know what's downtown and Uptown bugwise. I have worked downtown before and don't remember seeing anything except for fruit flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or