Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:51 PM

5 posts, read 17,508 times

Advertisements

I would definitely choose Hockaday over Greenhill. Congrats to your daughter!

We have narrowed our choices down to two. Does anyone have any insight on Lamplighter v Parish for a pre-k boy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 PM

269 posts, read 863,419 times
Lamplighter if you aspire to St. Mark's or Cistercian. Parish if you never want to have to apply to schools again.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 17,508 times
Right now all I want for him is the best pre-K experience he can get, without any aspirations toward other schools or dread about repeating this process.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:16 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtfuldallas View Post
Do you think most Hockaday Alums (who have given modestly to the school) have their girls accepted to Hockaday if they apply? Given the number of decades the school has been in Dallas, you would think that there would be very little room for non-connected girls to get into the school unless (1) cost has priced many Dallas-based Hockaday alums out of applying their children, (2) many Hockaday alums do not necessarily want to see their children go there, and/or (3) most Hockaday alums' children do not get in when applied.

I may be overstating the number of connected girls at Hockaday - but siblings and alums must be a large group of the pool of applicants each year (10%, 25%+)? It seems that Hockaday must turn away the Majority of connected applicants or there would not be new blood and many of the highest scores and new families entering each year?
The Hockaday alums and connected people have the best shot of getting in Pre-K. At pre-k, I would say 25-30% of the girls have some connection to the school (alumni, sibling). That number goes down as they expand the classes.

Also, I have a slew of stories of rich people (and alumni) that did not get their kids into Hockaday. It might help, but if your kid is not ready, they won't put them in. What is the point of admitting super rich kid if she is going to struggle? The school has special counselors for young kids that need help, but they don't want to utilize them. Moreover, these kids get weeded out anyway. No one is happy if they are struggling and at the bottom of the class in 5th grade.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDallasMommy View Post
Right now all I want for him is the best pre-K experience he can get, without any aspirations toward other schools or dread about repeating this process.
If you going to LL you are going to be surrounded by parents who are pushing their sons for admission to St. Marks. Same with Meadowbook and a lesser extent, St. Alcuin. It will be a discussion point, but most sane parents don't dwell on it too much.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:25 PM

263 posts, read 565,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgd08 View Post
Yes! We got accepted for Pre-K at Hockaday, K for Greenhill and Parish! I'm so excited! Decisions, decisions. Greenhill for K or Hockaday for Pre-K?? My 2 top favorite schools! My daughter is a july birthday.
Congratulations, that will be a tough decision. They are both good schools, yet different. Co-ed vs. all girls. Starting in pre K vs. K. With a summer birthday there is a possibility of going to primmer, but not a definite conclusion. Only about half of those eligible for primer go, the rest move on to 1st. The schools know what they are looking for when determining the placements. Did your daughter have a better feeling at one school over the other? Did you get a better feel from the other parents you met at the schools? There is a lot of support for Hockaday on this board, but don't let that deter you if you prefer Greenhill for your daughter.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndmom View Post
Congratulations, that will be a tough decision. They are both good schools, yet different. Co-ed vs. all girls. Starting in pre K vs. K. With a summer birthday there is a possibility of going to primmer, but not a definite conclusion. Only about half of those eligible for primer go, the rest move on to 1st. The schools know what they are looking for when determining the placements. Did your daughter have a better feeling at one school over the other? Did you get a better feel from the other parents you met at the schools? There is a lot of support for Hockaday on this board, but don't let that deter you if you prefer Greenhill for your daughter.
They are both great schools, and I agree, don't let this board influence you too much. Listen to friends and use your gut feeling on which school is best your family. I would consider the following factors (in particular order):

1) location- important for play dates, numerous trips to the school, etc.
2) single sex education- is that important to you?
3) uniforms. Yes at Hockaday, and no at Greenhill
4) academic success. Both schools have great success, perhaps a tad more at Hockaday (but can't go wrong with either one)
5) Diversity. Hockaday is diverse, but I would say that Greenhill is very diverse. My cousin had one other white Christian boy in his home room class. I am Asian and my wife is not, so we like diversity and our proponents of the emphasis by both schools.
6) Parents- pay attention to the other parents you meet. You will be spending 13-14 years with them.

Overall, you can't go wrong with either school and I wish you the best of luck.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 7,100 times
Our daughter got waitlisted for 7th grade at Hockaday. Any advice on what we could do to increase her chances of getting a spot now or in future?

Old 03-09-2014, 03:24 PM

21 posts, read 41,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
They are both great schools, and I agree, don't let this board influence you too much. Listen to friends and use your gut feeling on which school is best your family. I would consider the following factors (in particular order):

1) location- important for play dates, numerous trips to the school, etc.
2) single sex education- is that important to you?
3) uniforms. Yes at Hockaday, and no at Greenhill
4) academic success. Both schools have great success, perhaps a tad more at Hockaday (but can't go wrong with either one)
5) Diversity. Hockaday is diverse, but I would say that Greenhill is very diverse. My cousin had one other white Christian boy in his home room class. I am Asian and my wife is not, so we like diversity and our proponents of the emphasis by both schools.
6) Parents- pay attention to the other parents you meet. You will be spending 13-14 years with them.

Overall, you can't go wrong with either school and I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you. Could I PM you and get your thoughts about some things?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:51 PM

5 posts, read 13,253 times
Default worth the cost?

how do you decide private school is worth the cost? Is it really that much better than public school in all cases? Hockaday is incredibly expensive. My daughter was accepted and we are torn. We don't make a million a year to be able to comfortably pay for tuition, yet, we make just enough to where I fear we won't qualify for financial aid.

Also, do parents at Hockaday tend to be elitist? That's our other concern.

Last edited by TXMom10; 03-09-2014 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas