Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:02 PM

7,888 posts, read 11,400,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
So true. If cost was not an issue for me:
TX<CA<<Hawaii
But cost is an issue, a big one for 99% of the citizens. Disneyland is where you do not have to worry about reality like cost for things you need to live..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 PM

8,110 posts, read 3,661,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
But cost is an issue, a big one for 99% of the citizens. Disneyland is where you do not have to worry about reality like cost for things you need to live..
Agreed, that's why we are in Plano!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,330 times
Hi! I was just reading this thread and it it is very interesting. I currently live in the suburbs of the Sacramento Area in CA. Wonderful city with good schools. Cost of living is pretty decent in comparison with the big cities in CA (LA and San Francisco). Our company has giving us the opportunity to move to Dallas. We are struggling with the decision. It seems like cost of living is less but not a big difference than the area where we live. We love having Tahoe and San Francisco two hours away. We have nice lakes and the weather is pretty decent. Any suggestions? And from those of you that posted back in 2010, how do you like it now?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM

105 posts, read 289,956 times
Thanks for bumping this thread, because I forgot I started it! It’s really interesting to look back and see what my state of mind was prior to moving to TX.

Yes, we did eventually end up making the move from the Bay Area to the North Dallas Area back in August 2010, and have just passed our 2 year mark.

The verdict…?

WE LOVE IT... as someone else mentioned, best “life” decision we’ve ever made for our young family! No, it’s not CA, but we realize now that the fact that it’s not CA is both good and bad. Do we miss the weather, topography, breadth of activities, and family/friends over there? Absolutely! That’s the bad part. But I’m happy to report that those things DO NOT outweigh the benefits we’ve gained from moving here, and both my wife and I are proud to call TX our home now.

You can PM me if you want more details, but I’ll summarize it by saying that A) all of the positive things on paper that were discussed in the thread above have been true, B) all of the fears/concerns we had (i.e. ethnic diversity, access to different types of foods, adjustment to weather, adjustment to new culture, etc.) are now an after-thought, and C) my wife adjusted VERY quickly and well, and that was my personal main concern. There is way more diversity here than we expected, and the weather is pretty nice 9 out of the 12 months in the year. Our ethnic restaurant selections are definitely limited compared to the Bay Area, BUT as you search and explore (part of the fun), you will likely find those hidden gems that hit the spot… and then you’re set. The culture and emphasis on family here matches our priorities way more than what we experienced in CA, and we really feel like our lives have changed for the better.

Anyway, we are both SO happy that we moved, and for better or worse, a lot of people we know who were born and raised in CA are wanting to follow suit. As SpanielGirl posted above, there is so much going on in CA that even if you can afford to live there, people are starting to decide that it’s no longer worth it (in their personal opinions).

We will be going back on a family trip later this year to the Bay Area, which we are very excited about. We get to see all of the people and things that we’ve missed, and will have a great time vacationing and experiencing CA again, although for a brief moment. But I’m happy to say that this time we’ll be going back as visitors, and will be able to come back HOME to TX!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,330 times
Thank you so much for your response. We are so nervous right now. We are actually going this weekend to look for a ouse. My husband is a native CA guy, and I'm nervous about him. I hope our experience will be the same. Thanks a lot again!!!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
My biggest piece of advise is this. Do not move to Texas expecting it to be California. Move here expecting it to be Texas. .
Quote of the week!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 AM

105 posts, read 289,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaba5 View Post
Thank you so much for your response. We are so nervous right now. We are actually going this weekend to look for a ouse. My husband is a native CA guy, and I'm nervous about him. I hope our experience will be the same. Thanks a lot again!!!
Good luck! It's hot here right now, so make sure you guys mentally prepare for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Quote of the week!
Completely agree!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Do not move to Texas expecting it to be California. Move here expecting it to be Texas.
I wish we could put that on a legal document and make Californians sign it when they move here.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texafornian View Post
Thanks for bumping this thread, because I forgot I started it! It’s really interesting to look back and see what my state of mind was prior to moving to TX.

Yes, we did eventually end up making the move from the Bay Area to the North Dallas Area back in August 2010, and have just passed our 2 year mark.

The verdict…?

WE LOVE IT... as someone else mentioned, best “life” decision we’ve ever made for our young family! No, it’s not CA, but we realize now that the fact that it’s not CA is both good and bad. Do we miss the weather, topography, breadth of activities, and family/friends over there? Absolutely! That’s the bad part. But I’m happy to report that those things DO NOT outweigh the benefits we’ve gained from moving here, and both my wife and I are proud to call TX our home now.

You can PM me if you want more details, but I’ll summarize it by saying that A) all of the positive things on paper that were discussed in the thread above have been true, B) all of the fears/concerns we had (i.e. ethnic diversity, access to different types of foods, adjustment to weather, adjustment to new culture, etc.) are now an after-thought, and C) my wife adjusted VERY quickly and well, and that was my personal main concern. There is way more diversity here than we expected, and the weather is pretty nice 9 out of the 12 months in the year. Our ethnic restaurant selections are definitely limited compared to the Bay Area, BUT as you search and explore (part of the fun), you will likely find those hidden gems that hit the spot… and then you’re set. The culture and emphasis on family here matches our priorities way more than what we experienced in CA, and we really feel like our lives have changed for the better.

Anyway, we are both SO happy that we moved, and for better or worse, a lot of people we know who were born and raised in CA are wanting to follow suit. As SpanielGirl posted above, there is so much going on in CA that even if you can afford to live there, people are starting to decide that it’s no longer worth it (in their personal opinions).

We will be going back on a family trip later this year to the Bay Area, which we are very excited about. We get to see all of the people and things that we’ve missed, and will have a great time vacationing and experiencing CA again, although for a brief moment. But I’m happy to say that this time we’ll be going back as visitors, and will be able to come back HOME to TX!
Great post. I really enjoyed reading that.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:20 PM

167 posts, read 331,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaba5 View Post

We moved to Dallas from Roseville last year......I agree that San Francisco is amazing and has a lot to be missed....but Sacramento has NOTHING to do with the Bay Area. I thought Sac was a complete dump and is not representative of the "California" which is known for its popularity, i.e. LA, OC, SF. SD, etc.

We love Dallas...and consider it to be worlds better than Sac.....and this is coming from a Cali native, born and raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas