U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:15 AM

22 posts, read 74,601 times

Advertisements

(I already posted this in the FW forums, but maybe it really belongs here)

I just got a job in Burleson! My wife and I are coming from the SF Bay Area. We've already got some friends in Dallas, so we're looking for some place to live in between Burleson and Dallas. The goal is to keep the commute to Burleson to around 30 mins, maybe 45 mins max.

We've visited DFW only once for 3 days, so we couldn't get a feel for commute times. Would commuting to Burleson from Las Colinas/Irving or Uptown Dallas be crazy? Google Maps say about 45-50mins for both places, but is that really true? What's traffic like? Would this be a "reverse" commute? Which Freeways would be best to take/avoid?

What other towns would you recommend? We are looking for a diverse area that is a little upscale. We'll probably rent for the first year (2bd around $1000/mo). We're in our early 30s. No kids yet, so schools aren't a priority.

Can't wait to move to TX
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 11:09 AM

6,584 posts, read 23,639,417 times
Oh my, Irving to Burleson. Why would you do that to yourself? How about living in downtown Ft. Worth instead?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:23 PM

229 posts, read 558,821 times
too bad working in burleson pretty much prohibits you from living anywhere cool in dallas

Old 04-03-2010, 01:35 PM

12,433 posts, read 24,051,069 times
I would focus on Ft Worth itself if you want to live near nightlife/ entertainment/ culture. Check out the area around the Museum District (tons of new apartments & condos within a few blocks of the Kimbell Museum and the Modern Museum, along with fun neighborhood bars and restaurants), the area around TCU's campus, and downtown Ft Worth itself.

Uptown to Burleson would likely be 60-80 minutes, some stretches woudl be "reverse" and others would be with the flow of traffic. You won't be seeing your Dallas friends more than once a month or so unless everyone is really committed to driving back & forth.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:04 PM

13,402 posts, read 22,606,845 times
I would check out downtown Fort Worth. Its amazing!

Old 04-04-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codytravers View Post
too bad working in burleson pretty much prohibits you from living anywhere cool in dallas
I'm beginning to think this is the case Although we don't have to live in the middle of it all. We don't mind driving intto FW or D on the weekends.

As for downtown FW, we only saw Sundance Square and we were a little underwhelmed. It was an absolutely beautiful city: clean, organized and charming, but I couldn't see myself actually shopping at the shops, eating at the restaurants, etc. It seemed more like tourist day trip. And there seemed to be no one around. It looked a bit like a ghost town. Maybe we just visited the wrong parts of town at the wrong time.

The reason we considered Uptown was that we already have good friends living there (who are also new to Dallas). Being new to DFW, this would have been a great comfort. I think it would be cool to just hang out after work at a bar or restaurant nearby, or even just meet up and cook dinner for each other, etc. Proximity, choice and walkabilty is probably the most appealing part of living in Uptown.

If we can't live in an urban setting, we totally don't mind suburbs. We absolutely can appreciate the lower prices, larger apartments, less crime, convenience, etc. As for why we liked Irving... We only spent an afternoon there but saw a Pho restaurant, Boba store and Indian markets. I liked the diversity there, and we are so used to eating at these types of places regularly. Are there any suburbs around FW similar to Irving in these respects?

Old 04-04-2010, 04:06 PM

229 posts, read 558,821 times
Uptown is totally awesome. There are other cool neighborhoods though, I hope you can find somewhere else fun to live which is convenient Or just suck it up and make the crappy commute 5 night a week hah

Old 04-04-2010, 05:15 PM

4,184 posts, read 14,033,080 times
You may want to rent in Arlington. It would put you closer for the drive to Dallas on the weekends and evening. You will definitely find the diversity there and a lot of choices for dining for those days you don't drive into Dallas.

If you don't want to drive, you can take the TRE (Trinity Rail Express) from Hurst, just north of Arlington Trinity Railway Express (TRE) Map It won't save you time, but it's great for not worrying about parking etc, or if you drive to the AAC for sporting events or meet friends.

Naima

Old 04-04-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codytravers View Post
Uptown is totally awesome. There are other cool neighborhoods though, I hope you can find somewhere else fun to live which is convenient Or just suck it up and make the crappy commute 5 night a week hah
We might just suck it up and make the commute haha. At least try it out for the first month while we check out more of the downtown FW area or even Arlington. I know there's a ton we have yet to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Uptown to Burleson would likely be 60-80 minutes, some stretches woudl be "reverse" and others would be with the flow of traffic.
So would Las Colinas be any shorter of a commute to Burleson than from Uptown?

Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 PM

4,184 posts, read 14,033,080 times
Your commute would be a lot shorter from uptown because you'll be going against traffic. I think about 1 hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas