U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:19 AM

709 posts, read 3,117,381 times

Advertisements

I too think the Tyler area is charming and I hear the housing is quite affordable. I however have an ex sis-in-law who lives there with small children and she is quite concerned about the public school system. I've never asked her why in detail so really that is the only 2 cents I have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 11:11 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,021,868 times
I think that the schools are typically one of the trade-offs when you move to more rural settings, unless it's an area that began new and was built up from scratch as a 'rural oasis'....However, my co-worker lives out in Wells Point (near Mineola) and she thinks the schools there are 'fine'.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:10 PM

709 posts, read 3,117,381 times
socketz.. I think you are right on target with this one. My ex sis-in-law can be on the negative side at times... I'm sure there are some good schools out there as you mentioned.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:12 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,021,868 times
I think the advantage is that the class sizes are smaller and your kids have a better shot at sports, graduating in the top of the class, etc.

In schools like Plano/Allen, that's really tough because there are just soo many kids. That's why in Collin County, people like the Lovejoy ISD....it's small.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 PM

17 posts, read 111,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Out in the Rockwall area there are several new developments that are underway that have community horse stables and trails. The homesites I believe are from 2-5 acres.
Any ideas as to where I can get information on this?
I'll be in Dallas next week looking around.

Thanks,

Old 06-09-2007, 08:11 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,313,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettin' Out of Cali View Post
Any ideas as to where I can get information on this?
I'll be in Dallas next week looking around.

Thanks,
There is a brand new one that is in the city of Heath, and served by Rockwall ISD. Heath is a very expensive area, and in the $200k-275k range lots are around an acre or two. They don't seem to have a website unfortunately. The whole development seems to center on an equestrian center.

I found the site below that has listings of horse friendly developments in Dallas and surrounding areas.

Horse Property in the Dallas Area

Old 06-09-2007, 10:40 PM

6 posts, read 14,515 times
Shadow Lakes has some really nice ones.
Shadow Lakes – Rediscover Texas Living – Acreage Homesites near Dallas Canton Forney Terrell Wills Point Lots Waterfront Real Estate Land for Sale in TX | Rediscover Texas Living | Home Page

Also, I found these. We are also looking for something similar.

Equestrian Index, Homes on Acreage with Equestrian facilities including Horse Barns

Last edited by SAHMof2; 06-09-2007 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: links aren't working on here

Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 PM

28 posts, read 116,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnyder98 View Post
This may be too far out for you but it is lovely country and big enough to have everything you need but there are tons of horse farms and great rural houses with land for half what you would pay near Dallas. It is a great area to raise children and the way I drive only an hour and thirty minutes from Dallas. There are actually still tons of communities there that have a crime index of 1. Also they have an airport with inexpensive hops to Dallas so you could fly out of Tyler without having to drive to Dallas at all. Tyler is referred to as "little Dallas" because it has all of the things you like about a big city but is still quaint, safe, and small; and if you live in the country to the North you are only an hour from Dallas (not during rush hour) Welcome to Tyler, Texas My parents live just south of there and are getting ready to retire and move to town for medical reasons. They are selling their house with pool and five acres for 165,000. Your dollar goes a long way in the Tyler area and I wouldn't trade growing up there for all the lights in Dallas!!

Hi! Just wondering how your parents moved turned out. We are looking for small acreage in the Tyler area. JD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or