Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:41 AM

26 posts, read 179,786 times

Advertisements

thanks everyone
im going to lake whitney next sunday

i just with there was something closer so i could go every weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 06:34 PM

14 posts, read 51,192 times
There is a place to cliff dive on Lake Ray Roberts, just NE of Denton. If you go north on I 35 north of Denton to FM 455 in Sanger, Tx., then go east. You'll cross the dam. Just as you cross the dam, on the east side, there is a park/lookout to the left. It is marked. You can hike down to the cliff from there. Have not been to the cliff from there, came in from the lake, but was nice jumping. Did NOT dive myself cause I was there alone and no one else was around to be diving for me to know it was ok. About 10-12 ft. up if I remember correctly.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 AM

77 posts, read 226,861 times
Default R u kidding me? Hells Gate.

I have read some replies from apparently non-Texans.
Lake Possum Kingdom. Hell's Gate. It always get's fences built around it but they are easily bypassed and obvious trails exist. Let us know how it comes out. The bridge jump at Tin Top road on the Brazos is nice.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,571,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsez View Post
I have read some replies from apparently non-Texans.
Lake Possum Kingdom. Hell's Gate. It always get's fences built around it but they are easily bypassed and obvious trails exist. Let us know how it comes out. The bridge jump at Tin Top road on the Brazos is nice.
This is because it's both illegal and unsafe. PK is a pretty shallow lake, I absolutely would not recommend cliff diving there.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,435,315 times
The lakes here in DFW do not have rocky cliffs. But if you go north up to Tenkiller in Oklahoma or south to Lake Travis in Austin you will find what your looking for. Possum kingdom has some cliffs too.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 26,941 times
There is a tall enough rock at Lake Grapevine.. there is also a place in McKinney where there is a mock Cliff Dive. I know the one at Lake Grapevine because my brother took my neice and nephew there to jump, you have to run and jump out far enough not to hit any of the other rocks and to get deep enough but it works

Old 07-28-2010, 06:06 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,570,470 times
I'm pretty sure that you will not find anything both legal and safe in the DFW. When I was a teen, we used to jump off the trestle below the dam on Lake Lavon, but it was dangerous. A friend of mine died doing that back around 1972.

Try Cancun or Jamaica. Or at least some place with actual cliffs, since DFW really has none to speak of.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 PM

912 posts, read 1,880,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupbrepis View Post
with all the lakes around the metroplex i could not find a place where i can cliff dive.
it doesnt matter how high the cliffs are as long as its a clean, cool hangout spot where its deep enough to dive.
does anyone know of such a place?

it doesnt matter which lake is it on, as long as its in dfw.
Hellsgate at Possum Kingdom has some really high cliffs but it is illegal to dive off them. I had two family members jump off anyway with both of them landing in such a way that they smacked their hindsides red. It was one of those odd incidences when the perps didn't have to be disciplined as the lake had already given both a stern spanking.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
This is because it's both illegal and unsafe. PK is a pretty shallow lake, I absolutely would not recommend cliff diving there.
PK is not only extremely deep as in 200 feet, but it is known to be the clearest lake in Texas. The dam is huge and actually started moving down river at one time. They had to let all the water out of it by drilling thousands of little holes beneath it. They then spent many years filling it full of rock. It was built during the Great Depression and produced electricity. I don't know if it still does or not.
Hey, if you desire to practice mountain climbing, stop off at the little town of Mineral Wells. They have fifty foot granite cliffs surrounding a lake at Mineral Wells state park that are nationally famous.
And, if I might add, there is supposed to be a 200 foot tall cliff somewhere out in the vicinity of Cedar Hills state park in southwest Dallas county. Now, that isn't something to jumb off of as it isn't any where close to Joe Pool Lake, but it does show that there is a lot more to the geological formations around DFW than in Houston.
The city of Houston does have the West Mount Houston area however.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 07-28-2010 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: add some stuff; and then other stuff; and then some other stuff

Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I'm pretty sure that you will not find anything both legal and safe in the DFW. When I was a teen, we used to jump off the trestle below the dam on Lake Lavon, but it was dangerous. A friend of mine died doing that back around 1972.

Try Cancun or Jamaica. Or at least some place with actual cliffs, since DFW really has none to speak of.
Hey, when I was a little chitlin, we had the 30 foot diving platform at the swimming pool at Sandy Lake amusement park to jump off of! Try going up to Turner Falls in Oklahoma. It is right off Interstate 35 on the old highway before you get to Oklahoma City. It is gorgeous. There really are a lot of hidden paradises in and around the Dallas - Fort Worth area with Possum Kingdom being one and Turner Falls being another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas