U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 03:36 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,798,822 times

Advertisements

I love Mom's posts but I'm wondering what she thinks the agenda is...

I would say try North Oak Cliff (a lot of couples) or Old East Dallas/Lower Greenville Ave. (closer to the job). Most of Oak Lawn seems to be singles from what I know.

The city is very accepting - in the suburbs you might have to be careful:

Dallas has been making news for being gay friendly (even PRAVDA featured the news) see:

Dallas can have gay mayor - Pravda.Ru

The Lavender Heart of Texas | TIME
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 03:36 PM

43 posts, read 105,125 times
I don't think you'll have a problem. I grew up in Mesquite. I had gay teachers or coaches and it didn't seem like a big deal to anyone. At least not that I knew of. My best friend just got a teaching job in Mesquite too, and she student taught in the district last year. I'll ask her what she thinks.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:43 PM

The areas I mentioned would be mostly single family but they are getting a bit pricey, certainly at least 2-3 times what a house would cost in Mesquite. They are appreciating while Mesquite is not. You can also find places to rent in these Dallas neighborhoods but it will most likely be from individual Landlords (I don't know of anyone who would give you a problem in my area) and they would be single family, duplexes, fourplexes and very small apartment complexes.

Downtown, Southside and Deep Ellum have a lot of lofts and converted office buildings which are really cool to rent also...

Old 06-07-2007, 08:09 PM

43 posts, read 105,125 times
This is from my friend who has taught in Mesquite.

"As far as Mesquite goes, it is a very conservative district. We do not talk about cohabitation or being pregnant and unmarried or any of that kind of stuff. So I would suggest that the teacher keep it under her hat until she gets a feel for the culture of the school. I am sure it would be fine for her coworkers to know, but not her students. I still would wait to see what the vibe is like in the school before making it known to the public. Let people get to know her before hand that way they don't prejudge her. On the living stuff, it just depends of what school she is at. Mesquite is pretty spread out and it depends on if they are looking for an apartment, buying a house or renting a house."

HTH

Old 06-08-2007, 11:16 AM

26 posts, read 152,749 times
i dunno mesquite is kind of country.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:19 PM

New Article on Dallas:

washingtonpost.com (broken link)

Old 06-15-2007, 04:41 PM

434 posts, read 1,562,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The areas I mentioned would be mostly single family but they are getting a bit pricey, certainly at least 2-3 times what a house would cost in Mesquite. They are appreciating while Mesquite is not. You can also find places to rent in these Dallas neighborhoods but it will most likely be from individual Landlords (I don't know of anyone who would give you a problem in my area) and they would be single family, duplexes, fourplexes and very small apartment complexes.

Downtown, Southside and Deep Ellum have a lot of lofts and converted office buildings which are really cool to rent also...

The areas Lakewooder mentioned previously are the "Dallas" referred to in the Post article. Mesquite is NOT Dallas. I would try to live as close to those areas as possible and commute to Mesquite. Unfortunately Mesquite is still pretty conservative.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:06 PM

5 posts, read 14,086 times
I have lived here in Mesquite for 40 years and I think I know a lot about the place, people, schools, etc.
I don't like the label "blue-collar" community because there's also thousands of professionals and higher-educated workers here. Mesquite has very little industrial companies; it's mostly just a place a place to live, shop, and sleep.
Yes, it is historically more conservative, but it is definitely not exclusive. I've heard no anti-gay talk lately. I think the gay population here is small and quiet, like most Mesquiters are.
I wouldn't be honest, though, if I said Mesquite will roll out the red carpet for you. Many of us old-timers remember the too-recent days when Mesquite was a White Protestants-only town and nobody challenged the local Ministerial Alliance. Mesquite has lost much of its "religion" and I think you should give it a try. It's been over 20 years since the last fire-bombing of a Mesquite abortion clinic and we now have a Catholic church here. Why, you can even have a beer with your brisket now!
The "country" image of Mesquite is only the Rodeo media hype. The Mesquite Rodeo is just an entertainment business owned by non-Mesquite investors. There are no horse ranches or real cowboys in Mesquite. A few years back, a local man got in trouble here for keeping a chicken in a cage at his home. No farm animals allowed in this city!

Old 06-23-2007, 05:13 PM

1,005 posts, read 3,309,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrowning1 View Post
A few years back, a local man got in trouble here for keeping a chicken in a cage at his home. No farm animals allowed in this city!
Really ???

I am living in Dallas/Lake Highlands on a good size lot and am seriously considering a little chicken scoop. Dallas does allow chickens (no roosters), goats, sheep, horses etc. I am surprised Mesquite doesn't.

Treatment of LGBT in the areas I know (Garland, Plano, Richardson, Dallas) is neutral, except when there is a ballot initiative against LGBT, then the ministers usually whip up a frency and their followers tend to skew the results against LGBT. Like for prop 2, where only about 8% of eligible voters bothered to vote but it passed by 70%. This would make you think that LGBT folks are outright hated here but considering the turnout, it doesn't really look that bad.

Most of my lesbian friends live in Garland (two are teachers) and I don't think that Mesquite is very different in this regard from Garland. I never heard about outright discrimination. It will be a better atmosphere in Oak Cliff, Oak Lawn, Lakewood than in Mesquite but Mesquite is probably ok.

On a side note: I can recommend to visit the Alan Ross Parade and Halloween in Oak Lawn to get an idea of the LGBT population here. Those two events are _massive_.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:01 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,310,828 times
Why hide it? You are what you are so just be who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or