U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 10,353 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are considering a move to Mesquite. Would a lesbian couple be accepted there? She is a teacher; would her orientation be a big issue if someone found out?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 01:32 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,378,491 times
I've had and still have lesbian neighbors in Far North Dallas and it's no big deal to anyone. I don't know about Mesquite. A lot of gay folks live in Uptown or North Oak Cliff.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:38 PM

Thanks. She has an offer from the Mesquite ISD, and we would prefer to live close by. I think some of the other areas you mentioned might be a bit of a commute.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:41 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,912,286 times
Default Mesquite

I honestly don't know. My mother lives in Mesquite and I have lived in Mesquite in the past. Mesquite, I will say, is probably a lot more conservative than a lot of Dallas. Mesquite is IMO a pretty conservative suburb.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:29 PM

I always have this image of Mesquite being very redneck. I don't know if that's true or not. I know two families who moved out of Mesquite in the last year because they said home values were not going up and Hispanics were moving there in droves.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:34 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,236,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I always have this image of Mesquite being very redneck. I don't know if that's true or not. I know two families who moved out of Mesquite in the last year because they said home values were not going up and Hispanics were moving there in droves.
Ehhh. Kind of. What the deal is w/ Mesquite is you have this one mall, Town East that serves just about the entire eastern half of Dallas County. The stores there regularly boast of having the most sales dollar wise as their competitors across town. You have people that come from miles and miles to shop in Mesquite. Being it is so close to places like Pleasant Grove, Balch Springs, Wilmer-Hutchins, etc you see a lof of this in the area. Does not mean they live IN Mesquite but they DO shop there.

As for being a lesbian teacher there...... should be fine. There are a few round here too. As long as they don't push their agenda no one else will be pusing theirs back at them.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:38 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,031,908 times
First of all, a teachers sexual orientation in an isd personally to me is nothing. That should not be up for discussion. I have had gay teachers in the past and did not really know it till later on, they taught me and did a good job. I am not sure about the socio aspects of neighborhoods around there though. Mesquite is a blue collar town and one of the few areas that is not inundated with people moving in from out of state. I am not sure and can't answer that but do know that north oakcliff, uptown and areas close to downtown are going to be more gay friendly.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:03 PM

Thanks for your input. We (and especially my partner) would not at all be in anyone's face about our orientation, and live a pretty mellow, low-key lifestyle. In fact, I'm divorced with 2 kids. The only concern would be whether there would be some segment of parents or school district officials who might get freaked out or cause problems if it somehow became common knowledge that my partner was a lesbian.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:29 PM

16 posts, read 53,972 times
Smile Mesquite resident

I recently moved from Mesquite and I would say it is pretty blue collar and conservative. It is a hugely growing Hispanic area and I wouldn't think the Catholic influence would be a benefit to you. Dallas is growing north and the more progressive areas are downtown and north. Property value is plummeting there but you could buy in Rockwall or Rowlett and still have a reasonable commute.

Unfortunately Texas still has a long way to go in accepting gays and I'm afraid Mesquite is more like "small town Texas" than most of the rest of Dallas. Don't get me wrong, not everyone there is a moron but I would keep your orientation very quiet at least until your partner has had time to be loved and respected at school without that clouding people's judgement. If I were gay though, I think it would tick me off pretty bad to have to hide it and I might choose another place. Frankly I don't want to know anybody's sexual business gay or otherwise but these things do have a way of becoming grist for the gossip mill.

If you do decide to move there please remember the best way to convert people to being more accepting of you (especially older people in Texas) is to let them like you for you before you give them a reason to make a snap judgement. And remember, "pretty nice for a lesbian" really is a compliment to them!!!

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:34 PM

Dallas elected an openly gay sheriff (a woman) a couple of years ago and one of the run off candidates for Dallas mayor is openly gay (a man).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or