U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:55 AM

264 posts, read 1,055,769 times

Advertisements

Ace:
For me, personally, the DART rail system doesn't matter much, although I would like to try using it to take the kids to to zoo and to lunch with dad some time. I agree that Dallas has a nicer greater downtown area with a lot more to do (hence my comment on the cleanliness, city services, and better zoning). However, I don't have much opportunity to hang out in Uptown these days, so that doesn't matter much to me, either (although I did just go to the House of Blues on Friday, which is a very nice new venue to see live music). I have no idea what the OP's circumstances are, so those things may or may not matter to her/him. The OP asked for personal observations, so I gave mine.
Please don't challenge my comments. City preference is a very personal subject. Things that matter to one person may be completely irrelevant to others. Circumstances are everything. If I were single and had no kids, my views would be very different than they are now. I'd be living in Uptown, taking the DART rail, going to the store in Prada, and partying my butt off if I were single, but I'm not. I am just stating my personal opinion from my own experiences and circumstances. I don't prefer one city to the other. You take the good, you take the bad....It's a fact of life.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,222,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post
I have lived in both cities. We actually just moved from Houston to Dallas a month ago. I grew up in the Dallas area, went to East Texas for college (Stephen F Austin), then west Texas for law school (Tech), then to Austin for several years--I miss it!!! , then to Houston for two years and back to Dallas. I have enjoyed every city I have lived in. They all have their good qualities and some not so good qualities.
I will say that Houston does seem quite a bit friendlier than Dallas. I had such an easy time making friends with neighbors and people in my kids' school in Houston than I have here. I was invited to "girls night out" and several other functions within a week of moving to Houston. People just seem very inclusive in Houston. I have met some really nice people in my neighborhood here, but Dallas people seem a bit more stand-offish and less likely to include newcomers in their circle of friends (which is consistent with the way it was growing up here as well). Thankfully, I have friends here from high school and college as well as my mom. If I didn't have friends here already, I think I'd be a bit lonely. Houston is also much more laid back than Dallas. People dress much nicer here and make-up is a very important part of daily life in Dallas. In Houston, I was never self conscious going out in sweats with no make-up. In Dallas, I feel pretty trashy if I go out like that.
I would say that Dallas seems quite a bit cleaner than Houston and I find it easier to get around in Dallas (maybe because I grew up here?). It is nice to have some zoning and I find the city services (trash, recycling, water, sewer, etc.) are better in Dallas than in Houston.
I don't find one city better than the other. Just different. I do miss the friendliness of Houston, but I love being in a city that feels cleaner and has better zoning.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I don't think you can go wrong in either city. Good luck with your decision!
I was born in Houston, spent my childhood years near Dallas, my teen years near Houston, lived in Dallas for two years, and off and on in Houston for most of my adult life. This is the most right-on assessment I've seen on these boards. It comes down to preferences. The kooky creative types have a slightly more visible presence in Houston, people are friendlier, there's more of a philanthropic and community spirit, many activities are more centralized (inside the Loop or right outside it in Uptown Houston) than in Dallas, it's not landlocked, it's very green, a bit closer to other cities in Texas and to the beaches for road trips, and life feels much more organic and spontaneous here than in Dallas, probably because of the lack of zoning. I live in Houston now because I prefer it, but If I ever move anywhere else in Texas again, it would be to Dallas. I feel claustrophobic in small cities.

Last edited by houstoner; 06-12-2007 at 08:19 AM..

Old 06-12-2007, 12:12 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,321,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post
Please don't challenge my comments. City preference is a very personal subject. Things that matter to one person may be completely irrelevant to others.
Much regrets, turnbun... I didn't mean to offend you. Just wanted to point out that the things that matter to much of Dallas may not matter to everyone.

The points I mentioned... urban pedestrian neighborhoods, rail transit, and some other things, seem to me to be major differences in the Dallas mindset, as opposed to the Houston mindset. Everyone who contemplates a choice between the two metros must be aware of this difference in order to properly evaluate them.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 AM

150 posts, read 636,168 times
Houston was named the 6th best restaurant city in America, and Dallas was not even in the top 10, im sorry but i had to point it out. heres the link

10 best restaurant cities - Luxury Travel - MSNBC.com

Old 06-19-2007, 01:53 PM

108 posts, read 494,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
Houston was named the 6th best restaurant city in America, and Dallas was not even in the top 10, im sorry but i had to point it out. heres the link

10 best restaurant cities - Luxury Travel - MSNBC.com
Big whoop! Here's a Money magazine ranking showing Dallas 10 and Houston 12. It's all a matter of opinion.
Good work finding one that helps your cause.

AMERICA'S FINEST RESTAURANT TOWNS MONEY ranks the 15 greatest eating-out cities and guides you to their top tables. The best of the best: Los Angeles. - July 1, 1990

Old 06-19-2007, 05:23 PM

38 posts, read 165,617 times
Believe it or not, traffic is easier to take in Dallas than in Houston. I can always tell when my husband's been driving in Houston due to the tenseness and general rage. Houston and Austin both have huge traffic issues and if you are trying to get out of either going north, you have to leave by three. I also think that Houston is more spread out, making it harder to participate in activities. But Houston does have more cultural activities, more in line with Ft. Worth than Dallas. I think there are more viable choices on places to live in Dallas than Houston based mainly on the way deed restrictions and gated communities play out. Just my opinion as a native Texan who has been pretty much everywhere in this state.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 PM

38 posts, read 165,617 times
Wow....restaurants. I have been in some restaurants labeled as "the best" and it all comes down to what you like. For example, there's a gourmet Mexican food place, that shall remain nameless, on McKinney, whose food is IMHO horrible. If I want really good Mexican food, I go to Cantina Laredo. Now if you want to discuss barbecue, you might have a fight on your hands. And since when has there ever been a really good Mexican food or barbecue place in New York City? I'm just asking.....

Old 06-19-2007, 05:59 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
Cantina Laredo is a chain.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:03 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,456,541 times
What's wrong with a chain?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:05 AM

11,878 posts, read 32,924,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
What's wrong with a chain?
LOL! I know where you're coming from and agree. There's nothing wrong with chains if they are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or