U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:20 AM

18,212 posts, read 25,908,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
DFW isn't really the 4th largest metro, SF-SJ and Baltimore-Washington are much bigger and no one can figure out where the Tri-State area ends and the Quad-state area begins. In fact DFW is only together because the Census bureau doesn't understand the culture of DFW. FW is very separate from the Dallas side. BTW coastal people like Houston since it's...well on the COAST!
They are together because they are close. MSA's are based on commutes and Tarrant County residents work in Dallas County. You do have suburbs that share the Tarrant and Dallas County lines. The westernmost city boundary of Dallas is only 10 miles east of Ft. Worth's easternmost boundary. They may be different. But they function as one. And DFW is the 4th largest metro in MSA. In CSA numbers, SF-SJ-Oakland, Boston-Providence, and Washington-Baltimore are all larger than Dallas-Ft. Worth. BUT with the growth DFW is having now. It won't be long until it passes the Bay Area.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:04 AM

81 posts, read 207,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Ok...Houston--more centralized ( la New York City et Chicago); Dallas--sprawl ( la Los Angeles et Baltimore-Washington)
Got it!!

DFW isn't really the 4th largest metro

From your comments about "Houston being centralized" and DFW not being the 4th largest metro shows you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Feel free to browse wikipedia or news articles if you don't believe me on my statistic.

I'd hardly call Houston more centralized. Just because you have more land mass and fewer suburbs, doesn't make it central. Understand the distinction.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:06 AM

81 posts, read 207,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
That's great, and I think you've already stated that several times over. Dallas is third largest city in Texas now after San Antonio, I think, and Houston IS the largest CITY, but my point was I don't like small cities, which Houston is not. I didn't say a thing about metro areas. I'm completely justified in my choice w/o you guys turning it into another pissing contest, in which I'm emphatically not interested. We can go back and forth for eons, but really who gives a ****?
You don't like small cities, but love a large "city proper," but a smaller metro area? That's convenient for you to pick which is a "dubious distinction," in your own words. Unbelievable.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:37 AM

2,231 posts, read 5,321,354 times
Quote:
DFW isn't really the 4th largest metro, SF-SJ and Baltimore-Washington are much bigger and no one can figure out where the Tri-State area ends and the Quad-state area begins. In fact DFW is only together because the Census bureau doesn't understand the culture of DFW.
An MSA is a group of counties that have an integrated economy and transportation system. Tarrant county (Ft Worth) is part of the Dallas MSA because 30% of its workforce commutes to Dallas county. Washington-Baltimore is not an MSA because there is not enough commuting or economic integration between them. They are seperate, independent MSAs. As is SF and San Jose.

Quote:
Chicago and Illinois are much better because business is concentrated in Chicagoland, which means fewer business trips. Texas is too spread out with DFW, Houston, SA, and sadly Austin--too many business trips around TEXAS!!!
That's the silliest thing I've heard this week!

Quote:
Dallas is third largest city in Texas now after San Antonio, I think, and Houston IS the largest CITY
You mean "municipal government", as in San Antonio is the second largest municipal government in Texas. That means nothing. It really doesn't matter whether the San Antonio municipality covers 10% or 100% of its small metro area. It doesn't matter if municipal Dallas covers 20% of DFW, or 100% of DFW.

Quote:
Yes, Dallas is a bit less urban that Houston is but not by much. To say that Dallas is a sprawl city and that Houston is centralized is a downright lie.
Dallas' Uptown and East Side neighborhoods just outside of its CBD are much denser and more pedestrian oriented than the areas immediately outside of Houston's CBD. Dallas is way ahead of Houston as a pedestrian city.

Dallas currently has 45 miles of Light Rail, 35 miles of commuter rail, and 50 or 60 rail stations, and is currently building another 45 miles of light rail. Houston right now has 7 1/2 miles of light rail, no commuter rail, and very iffy plans to expand its system... someday. Dallas is way ahead of Houston in urban transportation.

Houston does not have high density pedestrian oriented residential-retail neighborhoods such as Dallas' Uptown, Victory, West Village, Mockingbird Station, and its tiny rail system has not developed urban villages around rail stations.

Last edited by aceplace; 06-25-2007 at 09:50 AM..

Old 06-25-2007, 10:30 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,222,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Generation Dallas View Post
You don't like small cities, but love a large "city proper," but a smaller metro area? That's convenient for you to pick which is a "dubious distinction," in your own words. Unbelievable.
Unbelievable indeed! How did I pick which is a "dubious distinction"? It's a dubious distinction to be proud of such a large, sprawling city either way it goes, however I prefer large cities over small, either in population, land area, or both, simply because I feel trapped in smaller cities. Clear enough?

Old 06-25-2007, 11:28 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,456,541 times
The points have been made. Some like Dallas, some like Houston, some like both, and everybody likes to argue over technicalities and grammar.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or