Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 AM

71 posts, read 344,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthDallas40 View Post
Big whoop! Here's a Money magazine ranking showing Dallas 10 and Houston 12. It's all a matter of opinion.
Good work finding one that helps your cause.

AMERICA'S FINEST RESTAURANT TOWNS MONEY ranks the 15 greatest eating-out cities and guides you to their top tables. The best of the best: Los Angeles. - July 1, 1990
This article is almost 16 years old.

I totally agree with Turnburn, that it is a matter of opinion and what is important for your lifestyle. I grew up in Houston and have lived in Dallas for the last 7 years. It's like comparing an apple to an orange. They are in the same state and that is where the similarities end.
To answer the original post - are you looking to compare a specific economic area or demographic? To be fair the question was too broad.

Last edited by TXprincess; 06-20-2007 at 09:38 AM..

Old 06-20-2007, 02:21 PM

38 posts, read 180,305 times
Cantina Laredo didn't start as a chain. It began as a restaurant my husband and I went to in Addison a long time ago. The Mexican bobsled team used to work there as waiters. And chain or not, the food is STILL GOOD.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:34 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Well we have a bit of resentment around here because we had the oldest El Chico and the chain mgmt decided we were too upscale for that so they ignored the nearly 70 years of history and turned it into a Cantina Laredo. They doubled the prices and the food is not as good.

Most here call it "Cantina Latrino".

Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
I've lived all over Dallas & suburbs, and in several areas of Houston & suburbs. Houston is friendlier, has more trees, and slightly slower paced. More humidity, more traffic gridlock, and no zoning so parts of town are down right ugly. Dallas is easier to navigate in traffic (more alternate routes), has a better transit system, and less humidity. The city personalities are very different, so it's like comparing apples to oranges. You need to pick the city that best fits YOU. As to which did I prefer and why, it would be Dallas, hands down - traffic less stressful and (slightly) less pollution - there were days in Houston that it actually hurt me to breathe. I moved out of TX in 2001, so things have probably changed since I lived in both cities.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:18 PM

81 posts, read 237,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I was born in Houston, spent my childhood years near Dallas, my teen years near Houston, lived in Dallas for two years, and off and on in Houston for most of my adult life. This is the most right-on assessment I've seen on these boards. It comes down to preferences. The kooky creative types have a slightly more visible presence in Houston, people are friendlier, there's more of a philanthropic and community spirit, many activities are more centralized (inside the Loop or right outside it in Uptown Houston) than in Dallas, it's not landlocked, it's very green, a bit closer to other cities in Texas and to the beaches for road trips, and life feels much more organic and spontaneous here than in Dallas, probably because of the lack of zoning. I live in Houston now because I prefer it, but If I ever move anywhere else in Texas again, it would be to Dallas. I feel claustrophobic in small cities.
Then you probably won't feel too good in a smaller metro area like Houston.

DFW is now the 4th largest metro area in America. If Houston keeps annexing more and more land, maybe one day you will pass us!

Old 06-24-2007, 02:16 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
I'll leave that dubious distinction to those who seem to care about it.

I would like to take back one thing I said though. I can't think of any circumstances that would make me want to live in DFW again. Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:55 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I'll leave that dubious distinction to those who seem to care about it.

I would like to take back one thing I said though. I can't think of any circumstances that would make me want to live in DFW again. Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea.
I completely understand your motives, even if I don't agree with your choice. DFW and Houston are so different that one cannot replace another. It's like comparing Chicago to Miami. My choice is Dallas, and Houston would never suit me... not because of any defect in Houston, but because of my personal outlook on the kind of city I want.

The distinction of 4th largest metro is intended to confront and confound those who wish to ignore the stature of DFW in the national economy and demographic. Many people on the coasts wish to consider it as an insignificant town in the middle of nowhere, and to disregard the reality of its explosive growth. It is also a counter to Houston's disingenious claim to be the largest "city" in Texas.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:47 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I've lived all over Dallas & suburbs, and in several areas of Houston & suburbs. Houston is friendlier, has more trees, and slightly slower paced. More humidity, more traffic gridlock, and no zoning so parts of town are down right ugly. Dallas is easier to navigate in traffic (more alternate routes), has a better transit system, and less humidity.
Ok...Houston--more centralized (à la New York City et Chicago); Dallas--sprawl (à la Los Angeles et Baltimore-Washington)
Got it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I completely understand your motives, even if I don't agree with your choice. DFW and Houston are so different that one cannot replace another. It's like comparing Chicago to Miami. My choice is Dallas, and Houston would never suit me... not because of any defect in Houston, but because of my personal outlook on the kind of city I want.

The distinction of 4th largest metro is intended to confront and confound those who wish to ignore the stature of DFW in the national economy and demographic. Many people on the coasts wish to consider it as an insignificant town in the middle of nowhere, and to disregard the reality of its explosive growth. It is also a counter to Houston's disingenious claim to be the largest "city" in Texas.
DFW isn't really the 4th largest metro, SF-SJ and Baltimore-Washington are much bigger and no one can figure out where the Tri-State area ends and the Quad-state area begins. In fact DFW is only together because the Census bureau doesn't understand the culture of DFW. FW is very separate from the Dallas side. BTW coastal people like Houston since it's...well on the COAST!

I wanted to live in a bigger metro than Houston, but I wanted to experience living outside of Texas for once. That's why I chose Chicago and it doesn't hurt that I have a lot of family there.

Chicago and Illinois are much better because business is concentrated in Chicagoland, which means fewer business trips. Texas is too spread out with DFW, Houston, SA, and sadly Austin--too many business trips around TEXAS!!! At least I can sleep in my own bed in my own house more nights in Chicago than in Texas!!!

Last edited by KerrTown; 06-24-2007 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: sadly

Old 06-24-2007, 10:10 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post

That's great, and I think you've already stated that several times over. Dallas is third largest city in Texas now after San Antonio, I think, and Houston IS the largest CITY, but my point was I don't like small cities, which Houston is not. I didn't say a thing about metro areas. I'm completely justified in my choice w/o you guys turning it into another pissing contest, in which I'm emphatically not interested. We can go back and forth for eons, but really who gives a ****?

Old 06-24-2007, 10:24 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
DFW isn't really the 4th largest metro
According to the Census Bureau it is and I tend to believe that.

Quote:
Ok...Houston--more centralized (à la New York City et Chicago); Dallas--sprawl (à la Los Angeles et Baltimore-Washington)
Got it!!
Houston is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being as centralized as Chicago or NYC, yes there are some areas of Houston that are centralized (mainly downtown and uptown) but that's not even close to how centralized NYC or Chicago are. Yes, Dallas is a bit less urban that Houston is but not by much. To say that Dallas is a sprawl city and that Houston is centralized is a downright lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas