Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 AM

6 posts, read 15,852 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I've just discovered this awesome forum and want to ask some questions regarding starting a business.

I have been thinking of opening a ladies boutique and do not want it in Dallas proper. Our family is wanting to move to the country and since my husband works out of Terrell, I've thought about opening my shop in Tyler. I've looked at some spaces there but haven't really decided.

I'm thinking either Tyler, Greenville or ???? I would prefer something not too close to Dallas but I'm not sure where. If anyone can help me with this I would be most appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 11:08 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMof2 View Post
Hey guys,

I've just discovered this awesome forum and want to ask some questions regarding starting a business.

I have been thinking of opening a ladies boutique and do not want it in Dallas proper. Our family is wanting to move to the country and since my husband works out of Terrell, I've thought about opening my shop in Tyler. I've looked at some spaces there but haven't really decided.

I'm thinking either Tyler, Greenville or ???? I would prefer something not too close to Dallas but I'm not sure where. If anyone can help me with this I would be most appreciative.
I like Tyler, why not there ?

Old 06-09-2007, 02:15 PM

Socketz,

Yep, Tyler is beautiful. I've been leaning towards Tyler because of the size of it and because of the opportunities for new businesses there.

That means I would have to find a house between Tyler and Terrel. Decisions, decisions!

Old 06-09-2007, 03:07 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
I'd look at downtown McKinney for the shop and you can live in Anna or Melissa or somewhere in northern Collin Co... it gets nice and rural up there.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:10 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Downtown Mckinney is undergoing alot of growth and rebuilding.

That's a good idea....you could tailor your business around that small/old fashioned feel that is prominent in that area.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
If you buy in Terrell you could also consider Rockwall. There is a nice square in Rockwall and lots of new developments going in all around town. The new harbor area down on the lake w/ the movie theater and restaurants is nice. The Goliad area of Rockwall has cute little yellow wooden houses w/ white trim. There have been different little shops come in there including a wedding cottage. I wish the restaurant there would not have burnt down a few years ago, they had the BEST bread pudding around. There is a small ladies boutique in Heath but not that friendly.

In Greenville they have one small ladies boutique but the rest is your mainstream standard small town stuff along w/ their small mall w/ a JCPenney's. I'd pick Tyler over Greenville.

Downtown McKinney is going to be high rent district and you might have too much competition. It is nice but sadly I can find the same things that the stores there carrry for less money in other parts of the metroplex and save on gas too. A little farther south in the Stacy Furniture location in Allen they have a few stores inside w/ one carrying Brighton.

Terrell is okay and has some neat older homes. It is growing out that way and you would not be as far from Dallas as Tyler or Greenville.

Since your husbands job is in Terrell I'd start w/ looking in Rockwall and the immediate surrounding areas there. Tyler and McKinney would be a long drive to be the business owner and run a store. Those last minute calls that the person opening won't be there will not be fun.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:52 PM

Socketz,

Sounds good but Mckinney is too close to Dallas for my taste. It's almost like it's just far, far north Dallas, know what I mean? Tyler has this really nice space that is in the Arts/Historic District that is like 3,000 sq ft and the rent is very reasonable. It used to be an antique store.

I just don't know anyone in Tyler to pick their brain that's why I'm posting on here in hopes that someone from that area will be able to help me on locations there. I don't want to set up shop in what would be the equivalent of Oak Cliff in Dallas. Not for the products I will be carrying anyway. Don't mean to bash Oak Cliff, so please, no hate mail.

momof2dfw,

I've looked at Terrell but don't really like it around there. It's beautiful in the historic homes area but the rest looks pretty trashy to me. Oh, before I forget, I loved your pics of Garland. You really made me see this area in a whole different light.

Also, Terrell, I don't believe, would have enough people for my shop to do well. I wish I could just move to Tyler but that would be a far drive for my hubby. I'm thinking maybe Canton or Edgewood or well, I don't know for sure. I want peace and quiet. Hey, where is that Boutique that is in Heath that is not very friendly? See that's why I want to open my own, I was treated poorly at many shops around the DFW area. Also, I make jewelry and love, love it when people buy it and makes me feel like "wow, they like something I created"...I also make natural soap, which I plan on carrying in my shop, leather handbags, you know girly stuff.

Last edited by SAHMof2; 06-09-2007 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: forgot to ask question

Old 06-16-2007, 03:09 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
You might like to have a shop at Canton and have to work only a few days a month....you could still make as much as lots of people make in a month! It has the largest flea market in the U.S. and lots of classy things there....not just farm tools and antique glass by any means!! Vendors and customers come from all over the country.....thousands every month.

First Monday of Canton, TX

Old 06-18-2007, 06:16 PM

38 posts, read 180,305 times
Don't overlook Denton. The Rayzor Ranch development is going to really change the demographics there. Currently it is a largely young professional population with two universities and many students. But once the new development is under way they expect to cater to a Southlake type of clientele. Right now prices are moderate in the central area, but that could change in the next two years. Just a thought.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:48 AM

Gayle,

I'm going to look into that. Thanks for the headsup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas