Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 09:14 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,224,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I just think Texas has other good burger places (like Whataburger). It isn't the home of In-N-Out like the West Coast. I think the novelty will wear down and it'll be like the other burge places. We'll see. The transplants from the West Coast help.
And CA doesn't have other good burger places? Counter Burger, Fat Burger, Father's Office, Apple Pan, Bob's Big Boy, Hodad's, Tommy's, Pie n Burger, etc...

So you are basically saying that any non Texas based business is a novelty and should die out?

I'd like to know what you think about the novelty of Waco based Fat Ho Burger...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 09:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Maybe in Cali. Not in Texas. But you're right, that special sauce is optional. They have the usual ketchup and mustard if you want some.
Nope, it will do just fine here in Texas and will be a HUGE success. I've talked to the In-n-Out rep several years ago at a trade show convention. We have a lot of customers in the food and bar industry............ In-n-Out will be just as big of a hit here in Texas as it is in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
Absolutely correct MOM...as usual. I have seen IN-N-OUT locations in California in the middle of the desert (Barstow, CA location) and they ALWAYS have a line.
I know I mentioned this one location in Sacramento once before when the whole In-n-Out thing first came up and they announced the Garland location first...... The Firewheel location has more population around it 24/7 than that one Sacramento location has at any time during the day or night and they had to have someone standing out in the parking lot going down the drive-thru line taking orders. It was a MADHOUSE!!!!!!! Then let's not forget the one in Reno. The city of Garland alone is way larger than Reno. Throw in the surrounding area of Garland and you beat the Reno-Sparks area by a long country mile. For some reason all of their newer locations are on the fringes of the city that they locate them in. This goes for Las Vegas, PHX, Reno, Sacramento, etc.

Quote:
Well, now wait. You can't say that yet. IN-N-OUT's track record says otherwise. They aren't here yet so there is no way to know that a location in BFN definitely wouldn't do well. Locations in BFN, Arizona and BFN, Nevada do well. Both states only have a hand full of branches. Shoot, within the next year the Dallas Metroplex alone, will most likely have more IN-N-OUT locations than the entire state of Nevada does now. We'll see. With FRESH ingredients and made to order burgers I believe they will be welcomed with open arms.
In-n-Out is not going to be a Krispy Kreme or Krystal's and there are several reasons why. Being that we deal w/ the food and bar industry and see the reasons why some places make it and some don't........ In-n-Out does not have franchises and that is going to make a HUGE difference. I can go down a long laundry list of places that have had to have corporate take over locations to make a go of it or the franchise owner just poorly mis manages it and it has to close up. It gives the whole company a bad name but it really was poor management on the local level. With no franchise owners and proper training of their managers and employees it is not going to matter WHERE In-n-Out locates....... they WILL do well.

Yes, with all of the DFW locations announced I do believe it easily passes the total in Nevada and in Arizona as well.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:28 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
And CA doesn't have other good burger places? Counter Burger, Fat Burger, Father's Office, Apple Pan, Bob's Big Boy, Hodad's, Tommy's, Pie n Burger, etc...

So you are basically saying that any non Texas based business is a novelty and should die out?

I'd like to know what you think about the novelty of Waco based Fat Ho Burger...

After seeing the video of that Fat Ho Burger in Waco. Unless they manage it a lil bit better it's not going to last long. Something else I noticed in that video is the meat patty........ just before they put it on the griddle....... it sure looked like a patty that you buy frozen in a pack of 30 at a discount club.

Yes, California does have other good burger places besides In-n-Out. And they ALL do just fine there.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:57 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
You three are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I never said it wouldn't be a success. In fact, I'm glad they are coming. Mr. Bungles, In-N-Out came from California, so of course it'll be very successful there, regardless of other chains. In Texas, we grew up with chains like Whataburger. I'm not sure In-N-Out is going to be the end all, be all chain here like it is at home on the West Coast. You're not going to put In-N-Out in BFE in Texas and expect it to have long lines. The towns local DQ or Whataburger is nearby. I've had many friends from Texas that have visited California and said In-N-Out is not all that (for those that even knew what In-N-Out was before visiting Cali).

Old 03-26-2011, 01:28 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,224,810 times
Quote:
You three are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I never said it wouldn't be a success. In fact, I'm glad they are coming. Mr. Bungles, In-N-Out came from California, so of course it'll be very successful there, regardless of other chains. In Texas, we grew up with chains like Whataburger. I'm not sure In-N-Out is going to be the end all, be all chain here like it is at home on the West Coast. You're not going to put In-N-Out in BFE in Texas and expect it to have long lines. The towns local DQ or Whataburger is nearby. I've had many friends from Texas that have visited California and said In-N-Out is not all that (for those that even knew what In-N-Out was before visiting Cali).
I understand what you're saying: that TX folks in "BFE" are pro local/anti-California. Only time will tell but in the mean time In n Out's market research making them confident enough to branch out here is a pretty good indication that they will be successful. No one said that they will be the "end all be all" burger chain in TX.

Here are my thoughts on them being so successful in "BFE" California. Folks from CA often travel either out to AZ, NV, BFE or home to CA from somewhere. In n Out is often the better quality/tasting choice over some truck stop or McD's, etc... While the restaurants are way the F out there, they have been strategically placed along major travel routes. The same could possibly be done here. For example if I am forced to visit the in laws in AR, and have to drive the 5+ hours to Little Rock, I would totally love to stop and grab a good In n Out burger somewhere along I30 over McDonalds or Taco Bell or even Carl's Jr. at a Love's truck stop. It may be in a town of 4,000 people, but they almost always place their restaurant in a location that can be seen from a major highway. That is why they are so successful in small random towns in the middle of nowhere. Farmer Joe in some town of 600 can have his DQ. He is not the customer that is going to patronize in n out and they know it. Or at least I believe they do.

I can also go on record and say that I don't think Whataburger is "all that". I still eat there occasionally and it is better than other fast food chains but I don't think frozen fries are that good and their burgers are just ok imho. But I still eat there...

Old 03-26-2011, 02:51 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,756 times
Quote:
Krispy Kreme sells excessively sugary (yuck) doughnuts and they do so around the clock. They would be smart to have their hours cut back to 5am-12Noon. They are a doughnut place and doughnuts are a very common breakfast food. A doughnut shop that sold ONLY doughnuts and coffee for 24 hours? Nothing else to offer throughout those 24 hours? Does not sound like a recipe for success. They became too profit driven. Their mistake was to have the ONLY product they sold, doughnuts, spread out all over grocery stores, convenience stores/gas stations, Wal-Mart and Target. If a company sells only one product they should keep it in THEIR store so people have a reason to go. They sold out and as a consequence the consumers took their product for granted. It was no longer special.

Mr. Bungle is absolutely correct. IN-N-OUT is very careful and they simply don't expand without knowing they have at least a 99% chance of survival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
In-n-Out is not going to be a Krispy Kreme or Krystal's and there are several reasons why. Being that we deal w/ the food and bar industry and see the reasons why some places make it and some don't........ In-n-Out does not have franchises and that is going to make a HUGE difference. I can go down a long laundry list of places that have had to have corporate take over locations to make a go of it or the franchise owner just poorly mis manages it and it has to close up. It gives the whole company a bad name but it really was poor management on the local level. With no franchise owners and proper training of their managers and employees it is not going to matter WHERE In-n-Out locates....... they WILL do well.

Yes, with all of the DFW locations announced I do believe it easily passes the total in Nevada and in Arizona as well.
Yup. I absolutely agree MOM and for the reason above. I copied and pasted a post I wrote earlier this month regarding Krispy Kreme. I am a little tired of people trying to say IN-N-OUT will be like Krispy Kreme. They are literally comparing donuts to burgers...HAHAHA

Old 03-26-2011, 03:11 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,756 times
And yes, did everyone see what momof2dfw posted? I know quite a few of us already knew this but for those new to IN-N-OUT:

IN-N-OUT DOES NOT FRANCHISE!!! ALL LOCATIONS ARE COMPANY OWNED!!!

From the IN-N-OUT website:
In-N-Out remains privately owned and the Snyder family has no plans to take the company public or franchise any units. All Associates are treated like family. Many Associates have been with In-N-Out for over 20 years, some even worked with Harry and Esther in the early years. These relationships and the commitment to the company's philosophies continue to make In-N-Out a very special place to work.

That is key to the preservation of quality. Okay. Just wanted to get that important detail out loud and clear.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:51 PM

137 posts, read 328,995 times
Default Catching Up

I finally decided I need to join in after following this forum since just before the D Magazine article was published.

Having spent most of my life on the west coast, there were three things I really missed when I moved to Dallas in 1995: Ikea, Starbucks, Costco and In-n-Out. Although the first three have come since I moved here, I thought it was only a dream to see In-n-Out come to Texas. Ive devoured a Double-Double on just about every one of my frequent trips to AZ and Cal since then.

In-n-Out has earned our passion for many reasons but simply put, its a quality, fresh product served efficiently and friendly in clean surroundings. In-n-Out has adhered to mostly the same values and quality standards since Harry and Esther Snyder opened the first one some 60 years ago. Those standards have been held as this family owned business was handed down through three generations. That is the reason for their success. Its always been less about growth and more about quality product and taking care of their people.

All their stores are company owned and their management is promoted from within. All this contributes to their consistent adherence to company standards and as such, their wild success. The ground beef is fresh and so are the buns, lettuce, onion, tomato and fries. All their hourly employees and management are paid a significant premium over normal fast food wages.

Sure we can banter about what burger is maybe better. Not everyone loves In-n-Out, in fact I have friends in SoCal that drooled when Five Guys opened near them. But they are back at In-n-Out now.

After my recent Five Guys experience in Las Colinas, I can assure everyone I will never go back there. I was served a dry, crusty overcooked burger on a cold bun with unmelted cheese and cold toppings (An $11 hit with fries and a drink) The real issue was the manager's lack of interest in fixing the problem.

On a trip to Cal a week ago, myself and three friends visited the In n Out near LAX airport. The place was packed and the drive thru lane was backed up all the way through the parking lot and out into the street. In n Out has spent years earning that type of loyalty.

They have a reputation for bringing mobile cooking trucks in to help serve the crowds when opening new stores in a new market. There is no burger chain I know of that can boast this kind of effort or need for it. It will be interesting to see if it goes the same way here.

Either way, Im confident In-n-Out will be successful here. And as much as anyone, Im glad I will be eating there in a very short time.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:39 PM

568 posts, read 2,419,908 times
I'm not a California transplant. I was born and raised in Texas and am proud of it. I like Whatburger. I like DQ. But if you give me a choice of those 2 and throw In-N-Out into the decision, I'm sorry, but it wouldn't take me a microsecond to decide that I'm choosing In-N-Out. Whataburger, DQ or any other fast food burger I've ever had just do not compare at all in my eyes. I just have my fingers crossed that they'll do well in D/FW and decide to spread out into other areas of Texas and maybe into some of the smaller cities, like maybe mine.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:04 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
I like In-N-out, but I think there is too much hype for their burgers. They're good, but not that good (obviously by fast food standards).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas