U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 08:35 PM

137 posts, read 237,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
So I guess it comes down to In-n-Out being better with quality control, which will of course lead to higher customer satisfaction over the long term.

I guess, in the end, to me, the taste of all three burgers really were in the same ballpark. That's why I'm always left kind of stunned with how over-the-top these arguments can get. But that's true of any number of categories, so I guess I really shouldn't be that surprised!
Youre very correct about taste. Ive not had a Whataburger in years but have to admit I enjoyed some of my visits to Five Guys. Unfortunately the inconsistent quality turned me off.

The fact that all In n Outs are company owned gives them the control and will necessary to maintain their quality standards. I also think their very slow measured growth over the years has helped them attract, train and retain good employees with a focus on their standards. Another plus is that all their store managers have worked their way up from hourly positions. Hourly employees start at $10 an hour. The store managers are paid surprisingly well compared to their competitors.

Its an interesting paradox that they pay so well and use quality fresh ingredients, yet the cost for a Double Double, fries and a drink is currently only about $6.

As you can see, a lot of passion is demonstrated here, for In n Out as well as other burger restaurants. Its kind of funny that something as simple as a burger can draw so much attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:43 PM

5,962 posts, read 8,392,511 times
Have enjoyed this thread and look forward to my first In and Out when the Frisco location opens. Hope you guys haven't hyped it too much.

From what I am gleaning from the descriptions here, I would think the closest chain to In and Out as far as quality, service and company mindset would be Chick Fil A. As an Atlanta native, I know their dedication to excellence, to consistency in product, to service minded employees and clean restaurants. The Christian ethic and faith of the founder is evident in both as well.

Will report back after I have tried it to let you guys know what I think.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,691,207 times
^ I'd classify In-N-Out as the Chick-Fil-A of the hamburger world.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,109,334 times
so someone explain the secret menu

Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
In-N-Out

Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,109,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
thanks

Old 04-20-2011, 07:57 AM

3,031 posts, read 6,234,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
^ I'd classify In-N-Out as the Chick-Fil-A of the hamburger world.
But hopefully, they'll be open on Sundays.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
thanks
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
But hopefully, they'll be open on Sundays.
They will be.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:26 PM

137 posts, read 237,264 times
Quote:
Its really not a secret. The simplest way to think about it is they are popular variations in the preparation of the items on the menu in the store. Because the secret menu is not posted, its only through word of mouth that anyone knew about it, however it is now on their website.

It all started many, many years ago and I guess at the time probably was more secret than today. Its become sort of an urban legend and today the items are frequently ordered by customers.

Examples:
Animal Fries: Fries topped with grilled onions, cheese and spread. (spread is similar to Thousand Island dressing)
Animal Style: Burger patty cooked with mustard.
3x3, 4x4: Three burger patties/three slices of cheese; four burger patties/4 slices of cheese. (Variation on the Double Double which is double meat/double cheese)
Grilled Cheese: Bun and toppings without the meet patty.
Protein Style: Lettuce replaces the bun.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 PM

35 posts, read 47,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdflyer View Post
3x3, 4x4: Three burger patties/three slices of cheese; four burger patties/4 slices of cheese. (Variation on the Double Double which is double meat/double cheese)
I'm sure everyone knows this already but you can order how ever many patties and cheese slices (and anything else presumably) you want in your burger. My friend once got a '5x5' back in the Bay Area years ago and that was one really thick (and rather repulsive in its massiveness) burger...

Anyway, I just found out today about In N Out opening in DFW which I'm excited about, being a 'expatriate Californian' (out of the State for for the past 11 years now, yikes!). So, when exactly is the one on 75 opening?

As for Whataburger and Five Guys, let's be serious, they don't even compete. Shake Shack, now, is a different story...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas