U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:12 AM

35 posts, read 115,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Hello,

Can anyone tell me about Dallas for gay people in their 20s?

My company has an office in DFW and there is a possibility of transferring there in the future.

1) Describe Dallas day and night life. Is there alot to do? I'm not big into the whole "gay club" thing or whatever, just want decent night life where I can have fun with people my age. Is it a good place for gay singles? Are gays accepted in Dallas society? Also, is inter-racial dating a problem in the gay community?

2) Housing: What are some safe, fun, hip areas to live in? I'd really rather not be in the burbs

3) Are cops strict in Dallas? I have a bad driving record where I currently live but have a bit of a lead foot. Will it be a problem driving fast in DFW?

4) Is rush hour traffic really bad there? Will I spend my life in my car if I have a bit of a commute?

5) How's the economy? Is it easy to find jobs for someone in the culinary or law fields?

Thanks for your responses! I know that my questions are fairly specific...

Don't know if you're still reading your responses, but here's my experience.

1.) The gay area is Cedar Springs. There are a few others sprinkled throughout the area. It's a few blocks. I'm a Mexican-American, and I've never felt uncomfortable or out of place and have actually been hit on quite a bit . I hear that people are snobbish and look you down in Dallas, but I've never experienced this (maybe once at Mickey's out of the gazillion times I've been there). It's definitely not as bad as the experiences I've had in Austin and San Francisco. Houston I think is one level more comfy, IMO.

2.) Stay north or northeast. Avoid south dallas unless it's the burbs.

3.) It's a race in Dallas. You'll be alright if you're going with the flow of traffic

4.) Haven't experience this enough

5.) Unsure

I'm not a native but I always visit one of my friends every summer for about a week or 2, sometimes on Spring Break. Personally, I love this city and maybe one day will move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,421 times
Ok.... I Dont Know What Part Of Oak Cliff You Stay At.... But For The Most Part That Is A Bad Area...... I Live In Rockall....its Not A "gay Area" But No One Really Cares If Your Gay Or Not And Its A Really Nice Area To Stay At....

Old 08-12-2007, 01:07 PM

791 posts, read 1,980,775 times
downtownnola... are you from New Orleans? If so you may have seen a multitude of gays from Dallas at Southern Decadence. OakLawn is the principle 'gay' area of Dallas but gays and gay friendly can be found all over. The usual party place is on Cedar Springs, a couple of blocks from Oak Lawn Blvd at Throckmorton, called the Crossroads. There's a bookstore/deli there called the Crossroads, hence the name. There are several shops and half dozen clubs in this area. If you can two step you're in. Also, 'the' original Black Eyed Pea. There's a 'pride parade', and the street closes down at nite for Halloween and Mardi Gras.

There's on online mag, dallasvoice.com and the proprietor of four big clubs has a website at caven.com. As an update to Mary mentioning the possibility of a gay mayor, he did not win but it was a run off election. However, the new mayor has appointed an openly gay reporter as his 'chief of staff'. Hmmm...

Old 08-12-2007, 05:21 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,319,343 times
Dallas is actually super cool for GAYS. THe last time I posted I was in a bad mood BUT the cedar springs area is filled with a mixture of gays and dallas is pretty gay friendly...even the Sherrif of Dallas is a lesbian.
S4 is a huge gay dance club,bar, and theater.
Catherdral of Hope is a big gay church in that area.

ALSO I think it is common knowledge that Oak Cliff is a bad part of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
downtownnola... are you from New Orleans? If so you may have seen a multitude of gays from Dallas at Southern Decadence. OakLawn is the principle 'gay' area of Dallas but gays and gay friendly can be found all over. The usual party place is on Cedar Springs, a couple of blocks from Oak Lawn Blvd at Throckmorton, called the Crossroads. There's a bookstore/deli there called the Crossroads, hence the name. There are several shops and half dozen clubs in this area. If you can two step you're in. Also, 'the' original Black Eyed Pea. There's a 'pride parade', and the street closes down at nite for Halloween and Mardi Gras.

There's on online mag, dallasvoice.com and the proprietor of four big clubs has a website at caven.com. As an update to Mary mentioning the possibility of a gay mayor, he did not win but it was a run off election. However, the new mayor has appointed an openly gay reporter as his 'chief of staff'. Hmmm...

Old 08-13-2007, 06:34 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior7604 View Post
Ok.... I Dont Know What Part Of Oak Cliff You Stay At.... But For The Most Part That Is A Bad Area...... I Live In Rockall....its Not A "gay Area" But No One Really Cares If Your Gay Or Not And Its A Really Nice Area To Stay At....
Hmm and he's calling Oak Cliff bad?

Old 08-13-2007, 07:17 PM

43 posts, read 197,196 times
wow, I wouldn't never Homosexual Bash, that's not my style, but dang why would you worry about the fact that a city is friendly towards one poor soul or another...I mean you either like the city or you don't, being homosexual should really not have a lot to do with it...

wow, also, that is the first I have ever heard of a homosexual church, do they study the bible there? They must pick and choose what to beleive and what not too..Sorry I just find that ironic...but I guess to each his own...

Bottom line, Dallas is a great city no matter what your hang up...LOL...

Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
Women wearing gold and pearls pick and choose which parts of the Bible to believe as well...

Old 08-13-2007, 07:38 PM

1,005 posts, read 3,308,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandylovesFrisco View Post
They must pick and choose what to beleive and what not too..
Nah... gay churches have just one more little contradiction than other churches. I have never seen a church that doesn't pick and choose. E.g. US churches usually don't advocate stoning people for trivial "crimes" like speaking in vain of your parents or they don't forbid shellfish...

And of course it is important for LGBT folk to know, if a city is tolerant before moving there. Duh!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 PM

43 posts, read 197,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Women wearing gold and pearls pick and choose which parts of the Bible to believe as well...
Unfortunatly I can't argue with that...Now would those be lesbians?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,319,343 times
It would be ironic if homosexuals were also the same as devil worshiping monsters that decided that they want to also be Christian Since gays are just like anybody else they can accept Christ and worship God like any other person. The bible never said a homosexual cannot worship God and accept Christ and live as a Christian...never once said that, it briefly warned against that lifestyle is all and was mentioned as sinful behavior and if you look in the bible practically EVERYTHING is a SIN...so check out the Cathedral of Hope sometime and have fun with the gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandylovesFrisco View Post
wow, I wouldn't never Homosexual Bash, that's not my style, but dang why would you worry about the fact that a city is friendly towards one poor soul or another...I mean you either like the city or you don't, being homosexual should really not have a lot to do with it...

wow, also, that is the first I have ever heard of a homosexual church, do they study the bible there? They must pick and choose what to beleive and what not too..Sorry I just find that ironic...but I guess to each his own...

Bottom line, Dallas is a great city no matter what your hang up...LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or