Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,215 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can anyone tell me about Dallas for gay people in their 20s?

My company has an office in DFW and there is a possibility of transferring there in the future.

1) Describe Dallas day and night life. Is there alot to do? I'm not big into the whole "gay club" thing or whatever, just want decent night life where I can have fun with people my age. Is it a good place for gay singles? Are gays accepted in Dallas society? Also, is inter-racial dating a problem in the gay community?

2) Housing: What are some safe, fun, hip areas to live in? I'd really rather not be in the burbs

3) Are cops strict in Dallas? I have a bad driving record where I currently live but have a bit of a lead foot. Will it be a problem driving fast in DFW?

4) Is rush hour traffic really bad there? Will I spend my life in my car if I have a bit of a commute?

5) How's the economy? Is it easy to find jobs for someone in the culinary or law fields?

Thanks for your responses! I know that my questions are fairly specific...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 04:55 PM

88 posts, read 366,886 times
There is a good amount to do both day & night. Nightlife is pretty good in lower Greenville, West Village, Uptown areas. Googling any of these terms brings up more description. In terms of "day" life, there are tons of walking trails (among of the most popular are those associated with the Katy Trail and White Rock Lake - both of which are very enjoyable).
I am married myself, but I see TONS of gay people around Dallas, particularly in the Turtle Creek and Oak Lawn area. It's one of the first things I noticed when my wife and I moved here about a year ago - out in the West Village one night I was like "damn, there are a lot of gay people" - not that there is anything wrong with that.
Best areas to think about living would be the areas I mentioned before Uptown, West Village, Turtle Creek, Oak Lawn, maybe also Knox Henderson - a lot going on around these areas.
No experience with the cops, but they seem OK - don't see alot of people pulled over on the side of the road - except in school zones.
Live in one of the areas above and work downtown/uptown and you will have virtually no commute. Live up in Plano or Far North Dallas and you will - it's not as bad as Atlanta or DC, but it doesn't seem terribly pleasant.
Economy is good - lots of jobs.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:30 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,812 times
Recently Dallas has been in the rankings for most gay friendly cities. We are home to the worlds largest LGBT church. Gay rodeo is another thing that is catching on. We have a lesbian sheriff, and could very well end up with a gay mayor.

Nightlife here is pretty eclectic from local dive bars, to swank night clubs. Dallas is good city for night owls, we have lots of restauants and stores open late and some 24/7.

Uptown is a pretty hip district, though its rather pricey.

Dallas PD tend to have better things to worry about they petty BS. Out here in suburbia they will pull you over for no reason at all. I asked the cops for directions in Dallas once, and they were extremely rude. I've also dealt with rude cops in Garland.

Traffic isn't terrible, but it could be better. Most of the traffic ties up are caused by people gawking at wrecks, rather then heavy congestion. Certain roads are just problematic. In all my years of living here I've always found 635 to be the worst traffic wise.

Restaurants are big business in Dallas, so finding a job in the culinary industry should be no problem. I believe we have more restaurants per capita then any other city in the U.S.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I don't suggest dallas. I am gay BTW. The gay atmosphere in dallas is mostly snobbish and rude. It is called the Dallatude, that gay men have here, but I am sure any group of minorities will have this attitude...for obvious and irrational reasons. Do not expect welcoming and friendly gay people. I think the gay people here have had tough lives and the gay life style is tough, as most of texas is very conservative. Thankfully, Dallas is more of a moderate city than it is highly conservative and most gays probably grew up with very strict conservative christian parents. I see acceptance of gays from straight people in some parts. Straight people mostly do not care either way and leave gays alone for the most part. If that does not bother you at all then by all means move near the ceder springs/oaklawn area.

There are about 4 large main gay dance clubs in that area near ceder springs/oaklawn. There is a gay dance club for hispanics called Kaliente in another part of town. There is a gay dance club for blacks called the brick. They each cater to different gay sub groups. Some dance clubs/bars are for older men some are for the younger crowd and some are mixed. S4 is the most hip and is very large. The other ones are more vintage looking and less hip but still fun.

The gay crowds in dallas are mostly masculine or straight acting/dressing. You will not see colorful gays here, although there are dragqueens here and there. More effeminate men seem to be less accepted. From what I know most younger gays are very opposed to christianity, but I think the olders ones are accepting of christianity because there is some huge gay church there in dallas.

Last edited by artsyguy; 06-09-2007 at 06:22 PM..

Old 06-09-2007, 07:56 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I don't suggest dallas. I am gay BTW. The gay atmosphere in dallas is mostly snobbish and rude. It is called the Dallatude, that gay men have here, but I am sure any group of minorities will have this attitude...for obvious and irrational reasons. Do not expect welcoming and friendly gay people. I think the gay people here have had tough lives and the gay life style is tough, as most of texas is very conservative. Thankfully, Dallas is more of a moderate city than it is highly conservative and most gays probably grew up with very strict conservative christian parents. I see acceptance of gays from straight people in some parts. Straight people mostly do not care either way and leave gays alone for the most part. If that does not bother you at all then by all means move near the ceder springs/oaklawn area.

There are about 4 large main gay dance clubs in that area near ceder springs/oaklawn. There is a gay dance club for hispanics called Kaliente in another part of town. There is a gay dance club for blacks called the brick. They each cater to different gay sub groups. Some dance clubs/bars are for older men some are for the younger crowd and some are mixed. S4 is the most hip and is very large. The other ones are more vintage looking and less hip but still fun.

The gay crowds in dallas are mostly masculine or straight acting/dressing. You will not see colorful gays here, although there are dragqueens here and there. More effeminate men seem to be less accepted. From what I know most younger gays are very opposed to christianity, but I think the olders ones are accepting of christianity because there is some huge gay church there in dallas.
I am glad you shared that. I've always worked around a lot gay men, and just assumed the rude catty attitude was part of being gay.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 21,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Hello,

My company has an office in DFW and there is a possibility of transferring there in the future.
Check out the Dallas Rooms on GAY.COM: Gay Dating, Personals, News, Local Events and Information. and ask around. Sorry, the forum engine here forces a gay dot com advertisement for personals

I might visit the Gay clubs there perhaps three or four times a year and found them to be very hedonistic, although that's not a Dallas specific thing.

It might be nice place to live if you can't deal with not seeing another human being for a few days on end, or don't like driving on country gravel roads, or don't like seeing the stars at night.

HomoRodeo lists the Dallas rodeo dates each year.

Driving and finding a place to park is a nightmare, but then I usually have my truck with a horse or cattle trailer in tow for the rodeo.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Actually dallas is a mixed bag of people. I didn't mean to make it sound like an awful place. It can be fun.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:48 PM

117 posts, read 449,926 times
Dallas would be an awesome fit for you. You would never be made to feel weird or unaccepted anywhere in Dallas while out with a guy...seriously no one there cares. Most of my friends there are gay and everyone hangs out together. You don't have to go to "gay" bars. You can go anywhere you want and if your straight and want to go to a gay bar because you like the dj or are with someone who wants to go that's no big deal either. Also...great place for culinary arts! You should definitely live in uptown,downtown,oaklawn,or knox henderson if you want to avoid a commute. Plus it's just fun to live somewhere where you've got cool places near by to walk to.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Hello,

1) Describe Dallas day and night life. Is there alot to do? I'm not big into the whole "gay club" thing or whatever, just want decent night life where I can have fun with people my age. Is it a good place for gay singles? Are gays accepted in Dallas society? Also, is inter-racial dating a problem in the gay community?

2) Housing: What are some safe, fun, hip areas to live in? I'd really rather not be in the burbs

3) Are cops strict in Dallas? I have a bad driving record where I currently live but have a bit of a lead foot. Will it be a problem driving fast in DFW?

4) Is rush hour traffic really bad there? Will I spend my life in my car if I have a bit of a commute?

5) How's the economy? Is it easy to find jobs for someone in the culinary or law fields?

Thanks for your responses! I know that my questions are fairly specific...
Dallas regularly hosts the largest Black Tie Dinner event in the U.S. - yes, even larger than the one held in San Francisco. The Black Tie Dinner, Inc. is a nonprofit organization that raises funds for gay and lesbian supportive organizations. Although, I'm straight, I have attended the event to show support and many other "straight friends" do so as well. Dallas is a lot more accepting than people think.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 21,117 times
Hi - I've lived in a gay-friendly part of Dallas called Oak Cliff for almost 20 years. (it's an old part of town which has been remodeled and updated a lot, first by the urban pioneer types, then by realtors, etc. when it got more popular) The regular residents are mostly Hispanic. You might like to check it out, as the housing prices are lower than elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas