Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:40 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I can totally accept that. I dont find Dallas glamourous, but I do think it is hands down the most fashionable city in Texas and with the best shopping.
Glamour is all about perception. That is why it isn't just fashionable to buy the product, but it is also fashionable to show it off in a trendy sack afterwards. And, if you are going to show it off, then it is always better to do it in Dallas than in Houston.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Dallas may be fashionable, but it's not glamorous. There is a difference.
Being glamorous is all about perception. Marilyn Monroe was more than just glamourous. She was also supposed to have a sweet personallity to match. I wouldn't call the Queen of England glamourous. I'd just call her royalty.
One definition of glamour is "excitingly attractive." I would certainly call Dallas this. I do think Marilyn Monroe was excitingly attractive to her audience of men, just as Oprah was excitingly attractive to audiences of women, and just as Michael Jackson was excitingly atttractive to his audience of young girls.
As the young girls would be envious of Marilyn's attention, I do think that Marilyn would be envious of Oprah's attention, and Oprah would be envious of Michael Jackson. Likewise, Houston is envious of Dallas.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Likewise, Houston is envious of Dallas.
I have seen no evidence that is the case. In reality, Dallas and Houston people dont seem to be jealous of each other. They dont seem to think about the other city. Living in Dallas, I have never heard Houston come up in conversation unless its work related. Working in Houston one week a month, I have never heard Dallas come up in conversation unless its work related.

Houston has no reason to be jealous of Dallas. It has its own set of things it does well. Likewise Dallas has no reason to be jealous of Houston. The whole inferiority complex thing only seems to exist online. In reality both cities are too consumed with themselves to care what the other one is doing.

I'm sorry, but I dont buy it. Expect to get flammed for that last comment.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:49 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Considering the other things Dallas has going for it, 31st in the world is still impressive. Having more stores per capita than any other city in the United States backs up its status. Having the largest wholesale market center in one place in the world further backs up the status. Being home base for JC Penneys and Neiman Marcus doesn't hurt. Glamour to me is all about perception.
^ Good points.

It amuses me how some people are making it seem like Dallas promotes a 'Fashion Capital' status just for the prestige and glamour of it all. They must not realize that fashion is an over three TRILLION dollar worldwide industry that generates alot of positive activity and jobs for the local economy.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Oh please. A friend of mine was Miss Waco. She was a Baylor student from Fayettville Arkansas. Does that make Waco glamorous?

MetroMatt is to Dallas what Mister Nifty is to Houston. You'll find anything, however obscure, to attempt to prove your point.
LOL

Miss Waco & Miss Texas USA are two utterly different things. Miss Waco is what the Rose Queen is to Tyler.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:58 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Considering the other things Dallas has going for it, 31st in the world is still impressive. Having more stores per capita than any other city in the United States backs up its status. Having the largest wholesale market center in one place in the world further backs up the status. Being home base for JC Penneys and Neiman Marcus doesn't hurt. Glamour to me is all about perception.
D/FW, not Dallas has more shopping centers per capita than any other metro. Do a bunch of strip malls really make Dallasites that proud?

Last I checked JC Penny was in Plano, not Dallas & LOL at JC Penny even being remotely fashionable. Moderator cut: rude and racist

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-20-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
D/FW, not Dallas has more shopping centers per capita than any other metro. Do a bunch of strip malls really make Dallasites that proud?

Last I checked JC Penny was in Plano, not Dallas & LOL at JC Penny even being remotely fashionable. Moderator cut: rude and racist
You know, you have a few great points that are just 180 degrees off. What store do the super rich shop at more than any other? Who buys cadillacs the most? What is upward mobility? Who is trying to acheive the status of it? All these questions are important, but, in this case, they should be left unanswered.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-20-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 09:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: orphaned part of post
Did you ignore what we posted? Dallas has been ranked 31st worldwide and 5th in North America for fashion by an organization that is not based in Dallas or Texas or the South. You maintained that its just Dallasites running around talking about how fashionable they are. You were wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Now, you have two choices:

1) Continue to bring up irrelevant facts (like youre Miss America one) and hope that people forget what we were aruging about.
2) Just let it go and move on and give creidt where credit is due.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-20-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
How was that a direct insult to the poster? I fail to see it.
Fortunately for you, it wasn't a direct insult towards me, Metro Matt. I do have a lot of family who live in trailers and, yes, the trailers do have over ten children living in each, but they live indirectly from me down in Houston. So, I forgive you.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Dallas is a glamorous city. It's beautiful in its own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas