Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times

Advertisements

I dunno if Dallas is "Glamorous" because very few places actually are, but I will say its very clean and polished with an upscale feel to it that lends to an overall cosmopolitan atmosphere. Theres a big cultural emphasis in Dallas on the arts, fashion/shopping and cuisine. I think these things all lend to the Dallas reputation.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:20 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I dunno if Dallas is "Glamorous" because very few places actually are, but I will say its very clean and polished with an upscale feel to it that lends to an overall cosmopolitan atmosphere. Theres a big cultural emphasis in Dallas on the arts, fashion/shopping and cuisine. I think these things all lend to the Dallas reputation.
The heart and sole of Dallas is its Commercial Shopping Districts. This is a dirty little secret around Dallas. Its Arts District aside, the central business district in Dallas has been losing its office market for twenty-five years. That's right! Ever since the mid-eighties energy depression back when Texas lost most of its major banks, the office market in downtown Dallas has shrunk.
Where is the premium office market in Dallas - Fort Worth today? Try the commercial shopping cistrict of Preston Center. While Preston Center is a tiny market in comparison, it is still a market nonetheless.
Now, to contrast what I stated above, what is the heart and soul of Houston? You don't have to think real hard to come up with "The Port of Houston." Is the Port of Houston glamorous? No. Are the 100 chemical plants surrounding Houston glamorous? No. Are the many pipe yards strewn about the area glamorous? No.
Dallas is glamorous. Houston is not.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
The heart and sole of Dallas is its Commercial Shopping Districts. .

Yes, there's a Jimmy Choo at Highland Park Village.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yes, there's a Jimmy Choo at Highland Park Village.
I assume you are addressing the question of this area being considered to be the most upscale shopping district in Texas? I don't know. I do know that the Arts District in Dallas is becoming the prime area of central Dallas. Think about it for a second. If when they were building Victory Park there existed no true prime area in central Dallas, with the question being in a state of flux, so to speak, then why not attempt to develop it as the prime real estate and do so around American Airlines Center? Unfortunately for it, the area developing to become the true prime area in central Dallas is centered more around the Arts District.
So, if the Arts District is developing to become the prime real estate of central Dallas, then why wouldn't it become the prime shopping district as well? I think it will become that.
When it does, I will add that area to the Preston Corridor.
Houston actually has more upscale shopping than just the Galleria. It also has an impressive area around the Memorial City Mall. Still, there is nothing like the Preston Corridor in Texas, and in the southwest, or in all of the south for that matter.
I do realize it is difficult times, beloved forum members. Either people don't have jobs or the jobs they do have are at risk. Most of us are just barely hanging on. As many are living under a bridge, most of us have a foot in poverty. But cheer up! Things could be worse. You know, when it gets right down to it, there is nothing any more healthy than eating grass, unless tyranny mows it all down first.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
The heart and sole of Dallas is its Commercial Shopping Districts. This is a dirty little secret around Dallas. Its Arts District aside, the central business district in Dallas has been losing its office market for twenty-five years. That's right! Ever since the mid-eighties energy depression back when Texas lost most of its major banks, the office market in downtown Dallas has shrunk.
Where is the premium office market in Dallas - Fort Worth today? Try the commercial shopping cistrict of Preston Center. While Preston Center is a tiny market in comparison, it is still a market nonetheless.
Now, to contrast what I stated above, what is the heart and soul of Houston? You don't have to think real hard to come up with "The Port of Houston." Is the Port of Houston glamorous? No. Are the 100 chemical plants surrounding Houston glamorous? No. Are the many pipe yards strewn about the area glamorous? No.
Dallas is glamorous. Houston is not.
The heart & soul of Houston is its burgeoning performing arts theater district, which happens to be 2nd in the nation only to NYC.

The heart & soul of Houston is its cultural diversity. Over 90 languages are spoken throughout the Houston area & many, many foreign consulates call Houston home.

The heart & soul of Houston are its thriving urban parks; Discovery Green, Hermann Park, Memorial Park, Sabine Park.

The heart & soul of Houston is its medical center district, the largest of its kind in the world.

The heart & soul of Houston is its gay & lesbian community. Houstonians unanimously elected the country's first openly Lesbian mayor.

The heart & soul of Houston is its quint Gulf Coast setting.

The heart & soul of Houston is its Uptown/Galleria, the largest upscale indoor shopping mall in Texas.

The heart & soul of Houston is its ethnic neighborhoods; Old Chinatown, Little Saigon, New Chinatown, Korean Town, Little Manila, & Harwin where you'll find anything you could ever imagine from India & Pakistan.

The heart & soul of Houston is NASA. Houston was after all the first word spoken from the moon.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-13-2010 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 04:22 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The heart & soul of Houston is its gay & lesbian community. Houstonians unanimously elected the county's first openly Lesbian mayor.
I like your mayor, but she was not "unanimously" elected.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:25 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Out of all the big Texas cities, Dallas has the more modern, cosmopolitan, ritzy feel imo.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:50 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Quote:
The heart & soul of Houston is its burgeoning performing arts theater district, which happens to be 2nd in the nation only to NYC.

The heart & soul of Houston is its cultural diversity. Over 90 languages are spoken throughout the Houston area & many, many foreign consulates call Houston home.

The heart & soul of Houston are its thriving urban parks; Discovery Green, Hermann Park, Memorial Park, Sabine Park.

The heart & soul of Houston is its medical center district, the largest of its kind in the world.

The heart & soul of Houston is its gay & lesbian community. Houstonians unanimously elected the country's first openly Lesbian mayor.

The heart & soul of Houston is its Uptown/Galleria, the largest upscale indoor shopping mall in Texas.

The heart & soul of Houston is its ethnic neighborhoods; Old Chinatown, Little Saigon, New Chinatown, Korean Town, Little Manila, & Harwin where you'll find anything you could ever imagine from India & Pakistan.

The heart & soul of Houston is NASA. Houston was after all the first word spoken from the moon.
Dude. If Houston was a woman, she would need a restraining order.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 AM

Default The heart and soul of something narrows it down.

Quote:

I would say DFW airport is the heart and soul of the whole DFW metropolitan area while shopping is the heart and soul of the city of Dallas.
Energy is the heart and soul of the Houston metro while the Port of Houston is the heart and soul of the city of Houston.
I am sure those attributes you mention above are important to the city of Houston.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:28 AM

6 posts, read 21,540 times
Hi,
I have lived in Dallas Chicago, Miami, and am now in Boston (for the 3rd time.) Based on my experience...Dallas, to me, is most similar to Chicago, from a mindset basis. People in Chi and Dal mutually seem to have a "can do" attitude, which makes both areas entrepreneurial. Both are friendly areas where people are generally nice and helpful, and both GENERALLY have the "Midwest morality/Southern Bible-belt" mentality toward dealings with other people and life. Doing the "right" thing really means something in both Chicago and Dallas. Boston has a harder "edge." (From a topography basis, Boston and Chicago are similar... although the weather is actually BETTER in Chicago!)

In Boston, people tend to keep to themselves more, and you will rarely have a conversation in the grocery store check-out line unless instigated by a Southerner. In Boston you can go years without speaking to your neighbors... with no argument or basis for not talking. People just tend to do their own thing in Boston. That said, Bostonians are very proactive politically, and as a social consciousness. I have had people drive a wet dog (in the backseat of their car) home during a rainstorm, because it was obvious the dog was lost and apt to wander into major traffic areas. I have seen perfect strangers walk up to a car to make sure the man inside talking to a 10 year old girl on a bike was her dad. (Her Dad appreciated it very much, BTW!) I live in Newton, and that is the way it is in our town.

Every major city mentioned has its Highland Park/University Park (TX), Wilmette/Winetka/Lake Forest (IL), Newton/Wellesley/Weston (MA) areas, and life there is very similar between the various cities. We have good schools, a safe environment, and responsive city services. There are also towns that are less affluent in all three states, and I am sure they also share similarities. I think every major SMSA will have similar pockets to other SMSAs' and it is hard to generalize across the various towns within an area.

Is Dallas more wealthy? Where specifically? Yes, certain parts are wealthy, and certain parts are not. Chicago has major industry and advertising, and stock exchanges (CBOE/CBOT). Boston is a high-tech, and banking and educational center. The Forbes 500 show more millionaires in Boston than Chicago. (That said, George Soros just built a huge property on Lakeshore Drive in Winnetka.) Maybe numerically there are more, but not necessarily more dollars. There are a huge number of millionaires in Texas, but probably more toward the oil industry, and computer industry in Austin. There is money everywhere!

As far as the houses being bigger in Dallas, that is not a function of more money available, as much as it is a function of the construction costs. Dallas houses are, first off, generally built on a slab (due in part to the clay soil). Boston and Chicago homes have deep foundations, generally with full basements. Thus, there is a whole level of house you don't pay for in Dallas. Also, the labor is cheap in Dallas. Most brickwork is done by Mexicans (this may have changed, but I build in Plano in the 1990's, and that was the case there, then). Also the labor in TX is generally non-Union, whereas in MA it is mostly Unionized. Without getting into the pros or cons, that DOES affect the cost of building. A house in Southlake, TX, with 5000 square feet, will cost 1/2 (at least, maybe closer to 1/4 in some areas) of what the same square footage will cost in Boston, or Chicago.

Just some thoughts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas