U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 12:33 AM

4 posts, read 5,501 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I am going to be moving to the Dallas/Plano area for a new job soon. I would like to find a place that has a good singles scene for 20/30 somethings. I'm willing to spend up to $2000 for a 2br/2ba place if it is worth it. I will be working in Plano so I would also like the commute to be reasonable. Is rush hour better heading towards Plano in the morning then Dallas or is it about the same?

Thanks guys and gals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 AM

339 posts, read 1,291,281 times
The rush in the morning from Plano is headed toward downtown. So in the mornings you want to be driving N and in the evenings, S. Though rush traffic can be pretty pretty rough regardless. I'm most familiar with rush on 75 (Central) but I'd think the tollroad follows suit. If possible, live near your job and save yourself a headache. But if you go out a lot....

Plano doesn't have quite the thriving singles scene compared to Dallas spots in Uptown, Lower Greenville, Knox/Henderson, etc. There is a more 'hip', higher income crowd near the Legacy area in W Plano that might suit you and you can definitely get a decent 2 bedroom under your budget. Also, Addison comes to mind because it's something of a party spot--lots of bars, chain restaurants, a few clubs--but many Dallassites wouldn't consider it really a 'scene'. It all kinda depends on what entertains you. An Addison to Plano commute is pretty doable tho and the area is known for more singles than most of Plano. If you did chose to live in Dallas proper, you'd be doing the reverse commute.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,800,159 times
Legacy Plano area or Addison Circle area.

Plano is mostly family-oriented, empty-nester-oriented and elderly-oriented, but the Legacy area is all new, retail, restaurants and apartments right in the middle of the corporate campuses of Penneys, EDS, Frito Lay, the former Countrywide, etc. I ran into the Starbucks there one weekday afternoon at 2:00 recently and, boy, it was the busiest Starbucks I have ever seen at that time of day! Just bustling with activity. This is right at Legacy and the Dallas North Tollway - east side of the Tollway.

Addison Circle is similar, but it seemed like a lot of the retail space was empty. I was also through there recently (job interviewing as taken me all over lately!).

Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,501 times
Thanks for the help guys! I guess the night life isn't too important. I can always just drive down or take a train to Dallas. I just don't want to end up in a suburban family neighborhood devoid of singles around my age. As long as the area has some decent restaurants/outdoor cafes and a little culture with other singles around my age, the place would suit me fine.

Like I said, I just don't want to get stuck being surround by all families. Nothing wrong with that! Just currently I'm living in the Philadelphia suburbs and it just made it difficult meeting new people when I first arrived here.

Thanks again for the help. I'll check out a couple of the places you guys mentioned and see what it's like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or