Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:42 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
My favorite Chinese buffet is the Great Wall of China located at Alma and Plano Parkway in South-Central Plano! Good selection and the food and service is very good, imo. They opened a new location on Preston Road in Frisco close to Stonebriar Mall, but it isn't as good.
I don't know if the one in Plano is identical but the price at the Great Wall in Frisco is a complete rip-off. They charge $13 per adult (not including drink) for mediocre food and a poor selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 07:52 AM

714 posts, read 2,933,016 times
Taj Mahal in the plaza on Central and Meadow in Dallas is good.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:58 AM

198 posts, read 499,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I don't know if the one in Plano is identical but the price at the Great Wall in Frisco is a complete rip-off. They charge $13 per adult (not including drink) for mediocre food and a poor selection.
The prices are cheaper at the Plano location. It's smaller and has an atmosphere of a family owned place. They also have a menu that you can order off of, which the Frisco location lacks.

The selection is similar (or maybe a tad bit smaller), but the food is of better quality, imo. Frisco has too much of a "chain" feel and the people at the Plano location seem to take great pride in their location.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 PM

96 posts, read 203,921 times
If you like Janpanses, I think Tokyo One in Addison is the best and worth the price.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 21,745 times
Default My off-the-top-of-my-head list:

I just saw this thread, almost a year late, so don't know if it's still active...

In short, I've lived here for 20+ years and eat buffets about 3 times/week, and have tried almost all the ones already mentioned.

In brief conclusion, here are my current favorites:
(Keep in mind, new ones are always poping up, as well as old ones closing down).

Mediterranean: Dimmassis (multiple locations - go ont he weekend so it includes Lamb shank)

Chinese:
Grand Buffet (Mckinney) - Only go on Fri or Sat dinner which includes better than avg quality snow crab and even better, succulent soft shell crab that you can suck out of the shell.
Many others have the same crab, but the quality here is worth the trip.
Although a fairly inexpensive buffet, the rice type and quality in their basic sushi makes it better than "average" as well.

Chine Sea Buffet in Arlington.
Nothing all that special, and very inexpensive, EXCEPT, sometimes outstanding prime rib. Call before going to make sure they have it.
ALso have good catfish in buffet, again, making it special.
Avoid filling up on the usual junk. Just go for those 2 items.
Whan I say "sometimes outstanding prime rib" I mean, in the beginning it was always incredible. But then mathod of cooking or something seemed to drop and sometimes, the prime rib is over cooked and dry instead of juicy, pink and tender like it used to always be.

Ocean Buffet in Garland.
New and decent quality for low priced buffet, almost as good as grand buffet in mckinney.

Several new ones just opened in Mesquite near town east.
One, less known one, has ribeye steak in the buffet (the one east on town east blvd near harbor freight). It's of course now prime rib eye, but still not bad for the low price.

Best Buffet in Plano.
THey now have hot pot and all u can eat lobster.
Problem is, quality is so-so and price went up to around $21, which pushes it into the price range of the "japanese" buffets like tokyo one in addison, japan house in plano, Osaka - plano, or the several others, which are superior to best buffet.

China town buffet in dallas (Arapaho and tollway).
Under ne ownership and quality consistency varies.
Go when busy and you will be fine.
On weekends, they have a low cost dim sum buffet included with the standard fare chinese offerings.
Most special is the inclusion of fresh rosted duck int he roughly $10 buffet which is the main incentive.

Japanese:
As already mentioned, my favorites: (in this order)
Tokyo one
Osaka
Japan house
Tried several others, but these are the best. Make sure to include hot pot)

Korean BBQ all-u-can-eat:
since the sad closing of snow mountain's buffet, finally, tHere are now several, all ranging from $17-$20/pp
Kal bee house in carrollton (Great quality, few customers)
OMI by H-Mart (Best busy asia-like environment)
Blue House (also near H-mart) --lest expensive but so-so quality and bad attitude from waiters
There's also one by Komart off of royal lane in dallas.
THe newest all-u-can eat is awaji korean bbq in plano.
possibly my favorite, though they're all similar in offerings and quality.

Mexican:
Silly people, don't eat at ponchos... lol
Personally, I like Blue Messa for their Sunday brunch buffet.
Make sure to get there early before they risk running out of the smoked brisket.
Also, sign up for the free "chili-head" club and get a free brunch on yoru b-day!

Indian:
SOmeone mentioned Mumtaz.
I eat there a lot, but ONLY on mondays since it's ultra cheap ($5.99 lunch, $6.99 dinner).
Quality and selection is average.
My favorite is ruchi Palace in carrollton.
Selection is big and I think quality is very good.
One special thing they often have (or you can request) is not just nan bread, but garlic nan.
Imagine fresh moist nan bread smothered in cooked butterey moist garlic!
Amazing, but your breath will reek for a week!

Possibly my 2nd fovorite, and very not-well known place, is:
India Gargen in Mesquite (actuallu, techincally Garland --beltline and I30).
What makes them so special is the quality (not the selection).
FOr example, they are the only ones to include white breast meat int he tundari chicken.
They also have samosas int he buffet.
Most amazing, they sometimes have rus mali as a desert, which is expensive and unheard of in a buffet.
Call 1st to verify the rus mali if that's what you want.

Irving has some good indian places.
Used to liek Mayuri, but has since slipped.
"our place" is ok,... there's so many popping up I can't keep up.
Many more now in north plano too.
Tried all, many good, but nothing really stands out as exceptional.
But I think Ruchi palace approaches "Atlanta quality" indian food.
Nothing here yet ius "Chicago quality" yet though. lol

FOr somethign a little different, try BBQ tonight in carrollton.
THey have a lunch buffet.
Not indian BBQ, but still being a bbq place, their flavors are a little different and more roboust. Worth a try...

Try to stick with indian buffets that are not just "northern", but also southern and indo-chinese styles. For example, places like Ruchi, mayuri,a nd now several others.

BBQ:
#1. Hutchens BBQ and cat fish in Mckinney
all-u-can-eat includes bothe bbq and catfish. Both are outstanding
THis is the best.

#2: Sammy Walkers in Rowlette

The others that follow are just average:

* Randy Whites (has an all-u-can-eat option for $13.59.
Print the 2 for one coupon in te value pak or ad-pages for an exception value.

* 1st Main BBQ in euless

American:
of course, the usual stuff --golden correll, furrs, texas palaminos, ryans, etc... These are all pretty standard...

However there are some special ones hidden in, such as:
String bean restuarant for their sunday brunch buffet. Most excellent. Sometimes has stuff like corned beef and german potato salad mixed in, or smoked brisket. Chicken and dumplings, etc...

2 Rows used to have a great weekend brunch buffet. Need to check if still happening.

There's also a lot of all-u-can eat catfish specials on various days of the week around.
For example, fish mongers in plano, Gold Mine in garland, catfish cove in sunnyvale (near mesquite), southern recipe in richardson, etc.

OK, enough... I'll think of more if anyone's actually still reading this...
off to eat my self now!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 AM

5 posts, read 21,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebirnbaum View Post
I just saw this thread, almost a year late, so don't know if it's still active...

In short, I've lived here for 20+ years and eat buffets about 3 times/week, and have tried almost all the ones already mentioned.

In brief conclusion, here are my current favorites:
(Keep in mind, new ones are always poping up, as well as old ones closing down).

Mediterranean: Dimmassis (multiple locations - go ont he weekend so it includes Lamb shank)

Chinese:
Grand Buffet (Mckinney) - Only go on Fri or Sat dinner which includes better than avg quality snow crab and even better, succulent soft shell crab that you can suck out of the shell.
Many others have the same crab, but the quality here is worth the trip.
Although a fairly inexpensive buffet, the rice type and quality in their basic sushi makes it better than "average" as well.

Chine Sea Buffet in Arlington.
Nothing all that special, and very inexpensive, EXCEPT, sometimes outstanding prime rib. Call before going to make sure they have it.
ALso have good catfish in buffet, again, making it special.
Avoid filling up on the usual junk. Just go for those 2 items.
Whan I say "sometimes outstanding prime rib" I mean, in the beginning it was always incredible. But then mathod of cooking or something seemed to drop and sometimes, the prime rib is over cooked and dry instead of juicy, pink and tender like it used to always be.

Ocean Buffet in Garland.
New and decent quality for low priced buffet, almost as good as grand buffet in mckinney.

Several new ones just opened in Mesquite near town east.
One, less known one, has ribeye steak in the buffet (the one east on town east blvd near harbor freight). It's of course now prime rib eye, but still not bad for the low price.

Best Buffet in Plano.
THey now have hot pot and all u can eat lobster.
Problem is, quality is so-so and price went up to around $21, which pushes it into the price range of the "japanese" buffets like tokyo one in addison, japan house in plano, Osaka - plano, or the several others, which are superior to best buffet.

China town buffet in dallas (Arapaho and tollway).
Under ne ownership and quality consistency varies.
Go when busy and you will be fine.
On weekends, they have a low cost dim sum buffet included with the standard fare chinese offerings.
Most special is the inclusion of fresh rosted duck int he roughly $10 buffet which is the main incentive.

Japanese:
As already mentioned, my favorites: (in this order)
Tokyo one
Osaka
Japan house
Tried several others, but these are the best. Make sure to include hot pot)

Korean BBQ all-u-can-eat:
since the sad closing of snow mountain's buffet, finally, tHere are now several, all ranging from $17-$20/pp
Kal bee house in carrollton (Great quality, few customers)
OMI by H-Mart (Best busy asia-like environment)
Blue House (also near H-mart) --lest expensive but so-so quality and bad attitude from waiters
There's also one by Komart off of royal lane in dallas.
THe newest all-u-can eat is awaji korean bbq in plano.
possibly my favorite, though they're all similar in offerings and quality.

Mexican:
Silly people, don't eat at ponchos... lol
Personally, I like Blue Messa for their Sunday brunch buffet.
Make sure to get there early before they risk running out of the smoked brisket.
Also, sign up for the free "chili-head" club and get a free brunch on yoru b-day!

Indian:
SOmeone mentioned Mumtaz.
I eat there a lot, but ONLY on mondays since it's ultra cheap ($5.99 lunch, $6.99 dinner).
Quality and selection is average.
My favorite is ruchi Palace in carrollton.
Selection is big and I think quality is very good.
One special thing they often have (or you can request) is not just nan bread, but garlic nan.
Imagine fresh moist nan bread smothered in cooked butterey moist garlic!
Amazing, but your breath will reek for a week!

Possibly my 2nd fovorite, and very not-well known place, is:
India Gargen in Mesquite (actuallu, techincally Garland --beltline and I30).
What makes them so special is the quality (not the selection).
FOr example, they are the only ones to include white breast meat int he tundari chicken.
They also have samosas int he buffet.
Most amazing, they sometimes have rus mali as a desert, which is expensive and unheard of in a buffet.
Call 1st to verify the rus mali if that's what you want.

Irving has some good indian places.
Used to liek Mayuri, but has since slipped.
"our place" is ok,... there's so many popping up I can't keep up.
Many more now in north plano too.
Tried all, many good, but nothing really stands out as exceptional.
But I think Ruchi palace approaches "Atlanta quality" indian food.
Nothing here yet ius "Chicago quality" yet though. lol

FOr somethign a little different, try BBQ tonight in carrollton.
THey have a lunch buffet.
Not indian BBQ, but still being a bbq place, their flavors are a little different and more roboust. Worth a try...

Try to stick with indian buffets that are not just "northern", but also southern and indo-chinese styles. For example, places like Ruchi, mayuri,a nd now several others.

BBQ:
#1. Hutchens BBQ and cat fish in Mckinney
all-u-can-eat includes bothe bbq and catfish. Both are outstanding
THis is the best.

#2: Sammy Walkers in Rowlette

The others that follow are just average:

* Randy Whites (has an all-u-can-eat option for $13.59.
Print the 2 for one coupon in te value pak or ad-pages for an exception value.

* 1st Main BBQ in euless

American:
of course, the usual stuff --golden correll, furrs, texas palaminos, ryans, etc... These are all pretty standard...

However there are some special ones hidden in, such as:
String bean restuarant for their sunday brunch buffet. Most excellent. Sometimes has stuff like corned beef and german potato salad mixed in, or smoked brisket. Chicken and dumplings, etc...

2 Rows used to have a great weekend brunch buffet. Need to check if still happening.

There's also a lot of all-u-can eat catfish specials on various days of the week around.
For example, fish mongers in plano, Gold Mine in garland, catfish cove in sunnyvale (near mesquite), southern recipe in richardson, etc.

OK, enough... I'll think of more if anyone's actually still reading this...
off to eat my self now!
Oops --apologies.
In my review, I mentioned "China TOwn Buffet" in Dallas.
Correction, since under new management, it's now called "B's Buffet", just FYI.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,784 times
Impressive! Thanks for sharing all that

Old 02-06-2011, 10:52 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
L1925 North Central Expressway (next to Sears Appliance Outlet on west side of 75).
McKinney, TX

Little Taste of India in Richardson.....has a $5.95 all you can eat buffet on Tuesday nights. They also have a menu. I'm no expert on Indian food but I see quite a few Indians eating there, as well other people, every time we go so I would assume it's authentic. It's a nice quiet pleasant place, very good service, especially for a buffet.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:31 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
An out-of-the way place we really like is La Mexicana y el Gringo on Story Rd. in Irving. They have weekend buffets; very good homemade Mexican. Regular menu is very good, too.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:26 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,923 times
Hell...just go to Fogo de Chao or Texas de Brazil...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas