U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 06:23 PM

4 posts, read 33,768 times

Advertisements

What I mean is - please tell me if Preston Hollow is considered North Dallas, Southwest Dallas, something else? Does "Metroplex" mean the central core of Dallas or the entire metro area?

I'm relocating, probably to Preston Hollow, and my internet research has me confused. I'm looking for Mommy-n-Me type groups and they tend to be listed geographically. Since I'm not sure what Preston Hollow is considered, I don't know where to focus.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 06:47 PM

4,142 posts, read 13,479,074 times
The metroplex is 3500 square miles so it is very vast. I'm attaching 2 reference maps.

Naima
Attached Thumbnails
Define Preston Hollow-metroplex-map.jpg   Define Preston Hollow-map-dallas-neighborhood.gif  

Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 PM

272 posts, read 736,605 times
If you can search by zip codes look for 75230, 75225, 75229, 75244 or 75220 -- though not all of each of those zip codes would be considered Preston Hollow even by a fairly expansive definition. There is a Gymboree at the corner of Preston and Forest and a Little Gym and Emler Swim School at the same intersection, different corner. The Town North YMCA is great and both the North Dallas Early Childhood PTA and Preston Hollow Childhood PTA offer lots of Mom/Child interaction opportunities in those areas.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 PM

11,966 posts, read 22,281,594 times
The "Metroplex" is the entire Dallas-Ft Worth region, including suburbs as far as 20 miles north, south, east, and west of both cities.

Preston Hollow is a neighborhood in North Dallas. "North" Dallas is generally the area north of Loop 12/ Northwest Highway, south of 635-LBJ, west of 75 Central, and east of Midway.

Preston Hollow and surrounding neighborhoods are extremely affluent, with some of the most expensive real estate in the city. Many of the top private schools are in Preston Hollow/ North Dallas. It is desirable for proximity to Downtown/ Uptown Dallas offices, Dallas Love Field Airport, and many shopping and dining options.

I am not sure about specific mommy & me type programs, but several large churches are in the area (Preston Hollow Presbyterian, Park Cities Baptist, Northhaven United Methodist, Northwest Bible) as well as several big synagogues (Temple Emmanuel & another at Royal & Hillcrest whose name escapes me). I'm sure they would be a great resource, as well as the early childhood PTA's at the local elementary schools, Walnut Hill Elem & Preston Hollow Elem.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 PM

801 posts, read 1,948,682 times
There's also a "Preston Hollow" in Plano, make sure if you are looking something up about the area you don't get the wrong neighborhood.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:56 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,192,218 times
In one word: "expensive"

Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 AM

16,092 posts, read 36,580,338 times
The boundaries of Preston Hollow have been expanding for years!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:28 AM

9,259 posts, read 10,913,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The boundaries of Preston Hollow have been expanding for years!
No kidding! The area I live in now is being called PH as is the area where I grew up. I have a theory about this, though. With all the growth up north and all the transplants, if you say you live in North Dallas, people think you mean way north or even Collin County. I was at a party in Plano a few years back and someone asked me where I lived, I said North Dallas. She proceeded to ask me whether I was near this street or that street, none of which I had ever heard of. I'm shaking my head "no." Finally a friend of mine said, "No, she lives south of there." More questions about streets I've never heard of, my friend tells her "No, I mean REALLY south." So now I just say the PH area (because it's really not).

Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 AM

1,622 posts, read 3,989,932 times
I wouldn't have called where I grew up Preston Hollow, but then GWB moved down the street and the media started calling it Preston Hollow, so I guess it's Preston Hollow.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 33,768 times
I know that it's expensive - but there's a reason we're living there - to be near family. I didn't know there was a Preston Hollow in Plano, thanks for the heads up on that!

Thanks for all the advice!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas