U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,030 times

Advertisements

My daughter is a junior in HS in south TX. We are thinking about moving her to Dallas for her senior year but need help finding a great public or private HS. I am living on Travis in the 75204 zip code. For those experts out there some of the classes she needs are AP History, Econ and Eng-4, plus an upper level science class. Thank you in advance for any help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 09:37 AM

6,585 posts, read 23,579,360 times
A private high school might be hard to find since some of them don't take 12th graders as new students. But, you might try First Baptist Academy in downtown Dallas.

What high school are you zoned for there on Travis?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:03 AM

2,982 posts, read 8,670,679 times
I think they might be zoned to North Dallas High - not so good.
See if you can get a transfer to Woodrow Wilson HS - you will find a good variety of AP academics there.

It's really hard to move as a senior in HS. I wish you luck!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,822,415 times
I believe you can get an academic transfer to Woodrow, which has IMO the top AP History Teacher in Texas, Peter Evett. Woodrow is switching to four college preparatory academies but they are being phased in starting with the ninth grade entering in the fall:

1) Academy of Math , Science and Technology (STEM Academy)

2) Academy of Business, Finance and Entrepreneurship

3) Academy of Performing Arts

4) Academy of International Baccalaureate (currently one of four Texas candidate schools, Pre-IB being offered to ninth graders in the fall - 130 plus eighth graders have applied - 33 from our feeder middle school, J.L. Long, 40 from private schools and the balance from other DISD middle and magnet schools).

Courses will be changing but this year AP classes offered are Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Statistics, Computer Science, English Composition, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics B, Physics C, Environmental Science, Psychology, European History, U.S. History, U.S. Government, World History, Human Geography, Music Theory, Art History, Macroeconomics, Spanish Language, French Language.

We had 33 AP Scholars in 2009 and 536 AP exams taken in Spring 2009 (usually the graduating class is just over 200). We were once again named one of the top high schools in America by Newsweek and was the only DISD comprehensive high school to receive the ACT College Readiness Award last December.

Associate Principal Dinah Escanilla would be a good person to conact: descanilla@dallasisd.org

Old 04-21-2010, 10:58 PM

This is great information, thank you! I need to forward your notes to my wife who is much more in tune with my daughter's specific needs etc. S Do you have any other suggestions on how to proceed or should we just start with Dinah?

Thank you again

BTW: this forum was a great source of information when i first researched areas to live in Dallas, at that time we did not plan to move our daughter so we did not believe the school district would be an important issue

Old 04-22-2010, 10:50 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,822,415 times
I would just contact Dinnah (correction on the spelling) also congratulate her on being named a semi-finalist as Dallas Associate Principal of the Year:

DALLAS ISD Blog | The Dallas Morning News

Old 04-24-2010, 10:53 AM

Thank you lakewooder, i will email Dinnah this weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or