U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:41 PM

458 posts, read 2,515,505 times

Advertisements

Could anyone who has experienced both or knows alot about both compare and contrast Dallas winters to Phoenix winters?

I've been to both cities just never in the winter time. Both are obviously very hot in the summer but I'm wondering how big of a difference is the weather in the winter?

I picture Phoenix having near perfect winters in the 60's and 70's nearly every day with cooler temps at night. I'd guess Dallas is probably more inconsistant with sometimes cool temperatures during the day and sometimes it may warm up into the 60s or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 01:33 PM

13,789 posts, read 7,193,487 times
The DFW area will be colder than the Phoenix area in the winter and, you have a greater chance of seeing ice and/or snow in the DFW area each year as opposed to Phoenix where snowfall of any significance is very very rare.

Here's a link to the National Weather Service showing average annual temperatures through the years for both areas.

DFW

DFW - Monthly and Annual Average Temperature (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/CLIMO/dfw/annual/dmotemp.html - broken link)

PHX

National Weather Service - NWS Phoenix

Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 PM

458 posts, read 2,515,505 times
Thanks that gives me a lot better idea. I'm basically just looking at whether there is a HUGE difference or not. I'm from Southern Indiana and I'm tired of the cold winter weather and looking to get out. Dallas and Phoenix are most appealing to me and I have taken trips to both and liked Dallas a little more. In my opinion, the only thing Phoenix has on Dallas outside of a little better climate is mountains which I can live with or without.

I'm not really expecting 70 degrees daily in January, but I would like to get away from 20 daily in January like it usually is here. It looks like both for the most part stay in the 40s or above during the day so I think both have about what I'm looking for. It looks like Dallas gets a little cooler but it's nothing compared to here so it's fine to me.

The biggest factors are weather, sports (I'm a huge sports fan and want to live somewhere with at least 3 pro teams), and just overall things to do.

Phoenix has a little better weather and mountains. I wouldn't see myself hiking or anything like that so the only benefit to that is they are nice to look at.

Dallas has better sports and I love the Texas culture. People seemed more friendly too. I felt a little more at home there although I liked it a lot in Phoenix.

Overall it's close but I think I'd be happy in either one. I'm leaning towards the Dallas area.

Thanks again.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:26 PM

13,789 posts, read 7,193,487 times
I have family in Phoenix and have visited that area plenty of times. Yes, the mountains are beautiful off in the distance, but the brown and dusty desert landscape (in many areas) of summer with the never-ending 100+ degree heat wore me out. Yes, it's hot in the DFW area, and it does have more humidity than Phoenix, but it can be hit or miss with the 100 degree temps. Last year was miserable and unusual with about 43 days over 100..a couple of years back, there was only one day that hit 100!!

With Phoenix, the least amount of 100 degree days they've ever had during the summer was 48...the most was 143..the average is about 90.

If you like sports, the DFW area has every major sport (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB) including pro soccer, arena football, two minor league baseball teams playing at different corners of the metro, two major golf tournaments with the Byron Nelson and the Colonial and NASCAR races at the 200,000+ seat Texas Motor Speedway.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,824,904 times
Sorry I prefer Dallas to the Desert.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:43 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,326,280 times
I spent a few winter months in Phoenix, and the winters were 60ish by day, low 50s at night. But no variability such as Dallas has. IMHO, I prefer a few cold days and some changes in the weather, even an occasional snowfall.

The summer before I arrived, they had had to close the airport... because of the heat! Jet aircraft have published settings for extending the flaps on takeoffs and landings. The hotter the air, the less lift, and the more flap area is required.

But... the settings are only calibrated up to 120 degrees. So they had to close the airport to takeoffs and landings.

Wonder how many 120 degree days we have in a typical Dallas summer?

Old 06-12-2007, 02:44 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,326,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Sorry I prefer Dallas to the Desert.
That's another reason I prefer Dallas.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:51 AM

15,832 posts, read 5,436,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
Could anyone who has experienced both or knows alot about both compare and contrast Dallas winters to Phoenix winters?

I've been to both cities just never in the winter time. Both are obviously very hot in the summer but I'm wondering how big of a difference is the weather in the winter?

I picture Phoenix having near perfect winters in the 60's and 70's nearly every day with cooler temps at night. I'd guess Dallas is probably more inconsistant with sometimes cool temperatures during the day and sometimes it may warm up into the 60s or so.
As someone who lives in Phoenix and has been to Dallas, I can answer this. First, sunshine is one of the biggest differences. Phoenix sees 70-85% of possible sun during the winter months, while Dallas sees 40-60% of possible sun at that time of year.

Second, normal temps. From Dec 1-Feb 28/29, Phoenix's normal highs range from 65-74, while Dallas's range from 54-65. Normal low's in Phoenix 43-50, in Dallas 33-41.

These normals don't tell you the whole picture though. Phoenix has a much smaller deviation from normal than Dallas. Phoenix in the winter months typically sees a swing of 8 degrees from avg in either direction (above or below). So Phoenix lows in Dec-Feb will ACTUALLY be as low as 35 or as high as 58, while actual afternoon temps will typically range from 57-82 those months. Dallas typically sees swings of 20 degrees below avg to 15 degrees above avg in the winter. So actual Dec-Feb lows in Dallas will range from 13-56, while actual highs will range from 34-80.

Furthermore, as far as precip, Phoenix avg's 0.9" of rainfall all 3 winter months, while Dallas avg's 2.7" of precip in Dec, 2.1" in Jan and 2.6" in Feb. And for Dallas, I specify precip as opposed to rain, because Dallas can see snow in the winter, where Phoenix won't. Dallas avg's 0.3" of snow in Dec, 0.5" in Jan, and 0.6" in Feb.

I hope this all helps

Old 05-08-2016, 10:49 AM

3,160 posts, read 1,748,206 times
Lived in both places.

Dallas winters are a little colder. A typical daytime high in like Dec-Feb is something like 55-65, where in Phoenix, it would be more like 65-75.

Both have cold-ish to cold nights. Phoenix's lows are typically in the mid-to-high 30s or low 40s, Dallas has lows between 25-40.

The hot nightspots in both places (Uptown, Old Town Scottsdale) are ill-equipped for coat check, so if you are going to the bars/clubs in those parts, try to under dress and limit your outdoor time, otherwise you are likely to be lugging around a coat or indoors wearing a coat.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:01 AM

5,095 posts, read 3,800,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Lived in both places.

Dallas winters are a little colder. A typical daytime high in like Dec-Feb is something like 55-65, where in Phoenix, it would be more like 65-75.

Both have cold-ish to cold nights. Phoenix's lows are typically in the mid-to-high 30s or low 40s, Dallas has lows between 25-40.

The hot nightspots in both places (Uptown, Old Town Scottsdale) are ill-equipped for coat check, so if you are going to the bars/clubs in those parts, try to under dress and limit your outdoor time, otherwise you are likely to be lugging around a coat or indoors wearing a coat.
Which city do you like better for liveablity (no jobs?).. We consider moving t Scottsdale all the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or