Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:23 PM

1,982 posts, read 3,478,544 times

Advertisements

Non-denominational church.... uh... what's the point? Is it just social hour? Might as well join the Daveg99 church of fishing and football, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 02:32 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,437,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Non-denominational church.... uh... what's the point? Is it just social hour? Might as well join the Daveg99 church of fishing and football, right?

Hey, everyone has a right to their own religion. Just because mine doesn't highlight the belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, which you must do in order for him to remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. It doesnt mean that my religion is wrong.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:12 PM

424 posts, read 1,811,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natnic View Post
You are talking about the Fellowship Church in Grapevine, correct? I sent them an email when I first moved here with questions and one reply regarding dress code. They stated that pretty much any attire is acceptable, but "business casual" is what they want? They sounded pretty adamant about that. Weird to be such a casual church...that is why I'm confused.

It was anything but business casual. They say one thing, but anything goes. I saw a lot of torn jeans, flip flops, trendy handbags and printed tshirts. I wore a pair of black pants, dressy top and nice shoes and I felt out of place (overdressed).

It is really yuppy, the kids (teens) sitting ahead of me were sketching pictures and chewing gum/blowing bubbles. The pastor was also wearing jeans and a shirt with the top 3 buttons undone.

The pastor does not do business casual, so why should anyone else? It's "come as you are". Hey...if you are really lucky you might get to see him in human form...not just on the jumbotron! Seriously...a church where the pastor is on jumbotron is not my cup of tea. There is something said for seeing an actual body preach; if I wanted to watch a pastor on TV, I would watch Joel Olsteen in my Pajamas!

The person who posted (Dave99) said he likes to fish Sunday mornings and watch football would LOVE this church...anything goes. Don't worry...there is very little reference to biblical scripture in the actual service...just a lot of rock and roll and an occasional reference to Jesus.

Last edited by catluvr; 04-30-2010 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 05-01-2010, 12:24 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,786,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr View Post
It was anything but business casual. They say one thing, but anything goes. I saw a lot of torn jeans, flip flops, trendy handbags and printed tshirts. I wore a pair of black pants, dressy top and nice shoes and I felt out of place (overdressed).

It is really yuppy, the kids (teens) sitting ahead of me were sketching pictures and chewing gum/blowing bubbles. The pastor was also wearing jeans and a shirt with the top 3 buttons undone.

The pastor does not do business casual, so why should anyone else? It's "come as you are". Hey...if you are really lucky you might get to see him in human form...not just on the jumbotron! Seriously...a church where the pastor is on jumbotron is not my cup of tea. There is something said for seeing an actual body preach; if I wanted to watch a pastor on TV, I would watch Joel Olsteen in my Pajamas!

The person who posted (Dave99) said he likes to fish Sunday mornings and watch football would LOVE this church...anything goes. Don't worry...there is very little reference to biblical scripture in the actual service...just a lot of rock and roll and an occasional reference to Jesus.
I've been in churches where the unwritten dress code changed depending on the service time... Sunday AM service was more formal, ladies in dresses, men in ties while a Sunday evening service was business casual.

In the last decade or so I've seen both "dumb down" a little in all types of churches, business casual on Sunday AM and jeans, t shirts, flip flops, etc on PM services.

Sometimes people want to have an idea of what to wear like you did so you don't feel out of place. For example, in most AA churches, the members dress to the nines anytime the doors open. You really feel out of place if you are too casual. There are some fundamentalist types that a dress code of men in ties and women in dresses is the 11th commandment.

But the types of churches were I am drawn are the types that have a warm, welcoming heart, and really don't care what you wear.... as long as you wear something!

Old 05-02-2010, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,145 times
I don't understand why "dress" is such an issue. Dressing up doesn't make you more or less holy than someone who dresses down.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Most non-denominational churches are such so that they can more freely focus on God and the study of scriptures and not be bogged down with denominational busy-ness that takes away from such pursuits. Not that some churches within the historic denominations don't do this as well, but many times denominations are more concerned with their structure and their rules and their man-made traditions that they are of the basics of the faith.

None of our current denominations are mentioned in scripture. Study the new testament and see that the only delineation between different bodies of believers is their geographical location, i.e. the church at Ephesus, the church at Laodicea, the church at Corinth, etc.

Let's leave the tired religious arguments aside and if you don't have a suggestion that helps the OP, specifically a more casual non denom church within a decent drive of Lewisville, take your religious debates to the forums on this thread that are designated for such. That comment goes to the resident agnostic/atheist/Christian-provocatuer Dave even moreso than you, kreeyax.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozdis View Post
I don't understand why "dress" is such an issue. Dressing up doesn't make you more or less holy than someone who dresses down.
Totally agreed hoozdis, but Paul mentioned that he woul become all things to all men (1 Cor 9:22) and in this context I think he means if a church is into dress codes, then honor those codes when you are fellowshipping with people that have such a tradition. It doesn't mean you are more holy one way or the other, but some have a tradition of giving God your best, so that is why the dress their best when gathering together to worship.

The truth of what you state is why churches with a heart to reach the non churhced are typically more casual. A "come as you are" attitude helps break down the walls that separate the churched from the non churched. These churches want to tear down as many walls that have formed over the years as they can without compromising the core message of the gospel.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:23 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,437,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

Let's leave the tired religious arguments aside and if you don't have a suggestion that helps the OP, specifically a more casual non denom church within a decent drive of Lewisville, take your religious debates to the forums on this thread that are designated for such. That comment goes to the resident agnostic/atheist/Christian-provocatuer Dave even moreso than you, kreeyax.

I was just letting them know about my non-denominational church.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I was just letting them know about my non-denominational church.
Oh, I've been to that church before. Don't think we were singing out of the same hymnal tho.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM

225 posts, read 517,195 times
To the OP: Highland Village is a strong Church around there. You can check out some of the messages online here: The Village Church : Resource Library Matt Chandler is the lead pastor and I think you'll like it.

I have some very close friends that have been growing tremendously from that body of believers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas