U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:40 PM

19 posts, read 31,088 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

Narrowing our search before we come to town for our first house hunting trip. Relocating from the Kansas City area, though we have lived in quite a few cities, including Dallas.

Looking in the $800K-$1M range. We have kids 6 and 9. They are currently in private school, but we would need public for at least a year(ideally they might stay in public). Commute is to Galleria area.

Looking for neighborhood with kids, nice homes, access to good shopping, etc.

Castle Hills looks interesting. Prices are lower, homes are newer, the Elementary school is rated well, sounds like lots of kids.

Willow Bend we have lived in before - before kids. Would be looking at the upper range of our price range in here. Lacks the parks, common areas the other two neighborhoods have. Location is good.

Lakeside on Preston. Like the access to the Lakeside shopping/restaurants. Like the parks and common areas. Like the trees. Homes are a bit dated, or are at (or above) the top of our range if they've been updated. Like the Brinker/Renner/Plano West School Campus setup. Like the new community center near the schools.

So.....

Thought we were settled on looking at the two Plano neighborhoods, but Castle Hills keeps coming back into the picture. Just seems like our $ goes so much further there.

Any input comparing the different neighborhoods. Thoughts on which might have more kids of similar ages? Which are open to transplants like us?

If we go private, it would likely be Greenhill in Addison, so commute to that is also a factor.

thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 02:50 PM

198 posts, read 288,580 times
I love CH..i just moved there from las colinas about a month ago..i looked for two years...albiet i cant afford the 800K! LOL...I love it though cuz we are close to everything...legacy and the tollway, ikea, willowbend or on the other side the airport, lewisville, coppell, etc..

Old 04-27-2010, 02:51 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,908,811 times
Castle Hills is an excellent choice - *lots* of kids in your age range here. Don't know if you saw some of the photos of the neighborhood I posted on another thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/3609794-post27.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/3622845-post29.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/5765136-post55.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/11098816-post57.html

You can buy a lot of house in your price range there. Commute to Addison/Galleria is very easy - I work in the Addison area, generally just take surface streets and avoid the tollway.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM

8,359 posts, read 11,420,024 times
What about living closer to work? the Park Cities have excellent public schools and homes in your price range. Also, depending on age of your kids, many of the North Dallas/ Preston Hollow neighborhoods have excellent elementary schools. The majority of elite private schools (as well as many others) are in this general area as well.

Why fight Tollroad/ LBJ/ George Bush if you don't have to?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
What about living closer to work? the Park Cities have excellent public schools and homes in your price range. Also, depending on age of your kids, many of the North Dallas/ Preston Hollow neighborhoods have excellent elementary schools. The majority of elite private schools (as well as many others) are in this general area as well.

Why fight Tollroad/ LBJ/ George Bush if you don't have to?
Haven't ruled UP out, but we can't get much for our price range, plus we want a pool. There are few viable options, and they all have "issues", plus are above our price range. My wife is also concerned about the kids riding bikes with all the traffic in UP. We have been suburban people for awhile, after stints of city living (before kids). We've become accustomed to things like 3 car garages and big closets.

We'll see....like I said, we haven't ruled it out.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:37 PM

294 posts, read 653,667 times
In that price range I would probably choose HPISD.
Otherwise I would choose Willow Bend, as I think Centennial is a better choice for elementary school.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:52 PM

2,078 posts, read 3,636,862 times
Don't fail to notice that Plano ISD extends to the Collin/Dallas County line. You could find a Far North Dallas home only a few miles from Galleria (and Greenhill) but still be in PISD.

Specifically, consider the Bent Tree area in that price range. I believe they feed Rose Haggar/Frankford/Shepton/Plano West.

If Castle Hills is tempting you with "more for your money", I don't think you'd be happy with HPISD, where you'd get much less for your money.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
Castle Hills is an excellent choice - *lots* of kids in your age range here. Don't know if you saw some of the photos of the neighborhood I posted on another thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/3609794-post27.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/3622845-post29.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/5765136-post55.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/11098816-post57.html

You can buy a lot of house in your price range there. Commute to Addison/Galleria is very easy - I work in the Addison area, generally just take surface streets and avoid the tollway.
great pics - thanks for these.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintea View Post
In that price range I would probably choose HPISD.
Otherwise I would choose Willow Bend, as I think Centennial is a better choice for elementary school.
Could you expand upon your comment about Centennial vs. Brinker? This would a key reason to stay within Willow Bend. I liked that Brinker was next to the new community center - I thought that would lead to some more after school opportunities.

thanks

Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 AM

449 posts, read 1,147,531 times
gruffster,

I lived in Lakeside for a few years, and if I were in your position, I'd move to Castle Hills. The families there are much younger and there seems to be much more opportunity for a neighborhood "young kid" peer group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas