U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 16,694 times

Advertisements

Hi All...

I am moving from Northern California (Sacramento Area) to Texas. It depends where in Texas I move solely on two things. 1) Business Opp & 2) Family life.

1) I am planning to purchase Service Stations or Motel type business and hear a lot of good business things in Houston. However, weather wise I am told that Dallas is a lot better and also is more controlled on the expansion (can handle people moving in, whereas Houston is a bit exhausted).

2) It is very important that I purchase a business where family life will be decent. This includes a safer place, fun and places to go and eat etc...

With that said ... what do y'all recommend for us?

Thanks ahead of time...

Gagan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,322 times
Default I've lived in SD & SF- Houston is a pit!

I grew up in San Diego an went to Cal Berkeley. It took me a LONG time to get used to texas, but I moved here young and didn't have any kids. Now that I'm thinking of starting a family, TX is a lot more appealing.

I've only visited Houston a few times, but my impression was not at all good. It is very, very humid in the summers with lots of mosquitos. The traffic is also horrible, and full of toll roads. I just don't have a good impression at all.

I've lived in Dallas near white rock lake and also in Frisco where I live now. A drive from Frisco, the fastest growing suburb in the country, to downtown at peak rush hour takes 45 minutes (for 40 miles). Not too bad, but it does wear on you if you're used to the Bay Area's plentiful mass transit. Summers can be bad, but I just do everyting outside in the mornings and head for cover until evening.

There's a ton of motels here, but there aren't many gas stations especialy up the Dallas NorthTollway from Plano to Anna (though Frisco). This is a prime opportunity for this sort of business.

Several dallas schools made the top rankings in the country What Makes a High School Great? - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12532668/site/newsweek/ - broken link).

I still have a problem with how conservative and unaccepting people are here, but I have made my peace with Dallas and plan to be here for the forseeable future. So many x-cali's agree that you have to find the right people here to be happy, but once you do, its definitely an ok place to live. Hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:09 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
Yep lots of gas stations and motels in Houston too. Plus you can build one anywhere you want, say next to your house or someone else's. There's no zoning in Houston.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:09 AM

1,379 posts, read 5,811,166 times
Hiya Gagan! I just moved from Natomas in February and Mom moved from Roseville in January. Welcome!! We chose North Texas (specifically - Fort Worth) because it reminded us a lot of our old cowtown but as it used to be about 15 years ago, but with actual things to do...if that makes sense.

We moved to be centrally located within the country for my husband's travel schedule, but we chose North Texas specifically because of the people, way of life and an overall better quality of life.

The weather is also a lot closer to Sacramento, throw in a little colder in the winter and a little warmer in the summer.

I used to work in banking services and I think you would do well in the Metroplex because it is growing so rapidly.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:01 PM

8 posts, read 26,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrom View Post
I grew up in San Diego an went to Cal Berkeley. It took me a LONG time to get used to texas, but I moved here young and didn't have any kids. Now that I'm thinking of starting a family, TX is a lot more appealing.

I've only visited Houston a few times, but my impression was not at all good. It is very, very humid in the summers with lots of mosquitos. The traffic is also horrible, and full of toll roads. I just don't have a good impression at all.

I've lived in Dallas near white rock lake and also in Frisco where I live now. A drive from Frisco, the fastest growing suburb in the country, to downtown at peak rush hour takes 45 minutes (for 40 miles). Not too bad, but it does wear on you if you're used to the Bay Area's plentiful mass transit. Summers can be bad, but I just do everyting outside in the mornings and head for cover until evening.

There's a ton of motels here, but there aren't many gas stations especialy up the Dallas NorthTollway from Plano to Anna (though Frisco). This is a prime opportunity for this sort of business.

Several dallas schools made the top rankings in the country What Makes a High School Great? - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12532668/site/newsweek/ - broken link).

I still have a problem with how conservative and unaccepting people are here, but I have made my peace with Dallas and plan to be here for the forseeable future. So many x-cali's agree that you have to find the right people here to be happy, but once you do, its definitely an ok place to live. Hope this helps.
I also just graduated from CAL Engineering and thinking of moving to Dallas to buy my first house for economic reason. Can you describe to me more about what kind of differences I am expecting? And compare and contrast the software eng job between Bay area and north east Dallas(Plano, Frisco...)

Old 06-13-2007, 12:30 PM

264 posts, read 1,055,519 times
Quote:
Plus you can build one anywhere you want, say next to your house or someone else's. There's no zoning in Houston.
Now, now. That's a bit of an exaggeration. There are very limited city-wide zoning laws, BUT most neighborhoods do have deed restrictions and such to keep things like gas stations popping up in the middle of a quiet, tree-lined neighborhood.

I posted my opinions on Dallas v. Houston on a couple of other threads, so I won't repeat myself (feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions -- I've lived both places). I don't think you can go wrong with either city. Both have great things to offer. The key in either city is to find an area that you love that fits your personality. The two cities are so huge that they really have something to offer just about anyone.

Have you looked at Austin at all? It is still growing by leaps and bounds and NEEDS more gas stations and hotels. I prefer Austin to Dallas or Houston. Lots of Northern California transplants there due to the high tech industry.

Good luck!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 02:31 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
Deed restrictions expire though...

Old 06-13-2007, 02:34 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,378,491 times
I'd find the motel or whatever property you want to purchase first. Look in both places and see where you find something.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,918,052 times
NOT ANOTHER ONE!!!

Just do a quick search with the words "Dallas or Houston" and you'll get a ton of threads about this very subject.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:09 PM

25 posts, read 78,004 times
Default Look no further

Research Flower Mound. The area is just starting to really boom and has many great things going for it. It's been listed in several sources as one of the best places to live and that includes family life. However, as we speak there in one hotel supposedly being built in the Lakeside Industrial Park off 2499 but no others I can think of out this way. 407 between Flower Mound and Highland Village would be a great location. They are in the process of building a really nice marketplace on the corner of 407 and 2499 with lots of shops and restaurants travelers would like to be near. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or