U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:57 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,305,136 times

Advertisements

My son asked me if I were to win the Lotto, would I sell my house for a huge fancy house? I told him I wouldn't, and he looked at me kind of funny.

The first thing I would do is pay off my daughter's $100,000+ college loans, her mortgage, and my son's mortgage. I may even give them a portion of the winnings.

I would then buy a modest house in another state way up in the mountains, but I'd keep the modest home I have in Texas as well so I could have a place to stay when visiting friends or family.

I'd sell my little Ford Ranger XLT and buy another vehicle, a Ford F-150 with a double cab. I really like trucks much better than cars.

If I were rich, no one would ever be able to tell with what I drove or where I lived or anything else. Unfortunately, many people living "high on the hog" are living way beyond their means and really don't have the money that they appear to have.

I don't like to travel very much, but would like to this glorius country and other states before I leave this Earth. The only overseas travel I would do would be to Germany where I still have relatives.

I guess I'm a bit off topic, but I'm just doing a little dreaming this morning. I'm a very low-maintenance person and don't need much, but the lotto would give me my dream mountain home RIGHT NOW!!

One thing for sure is that women need to stop relying on their husband's large income and have a plan on what to do should death or divorce ever come into the picture. Some women wouldn't be able to stand their lifestyle should something happen to the bread winner of the family. Sure, life insurance would help; it's the easy way out, but women really can and do make a good life for their children in the event of death or divorce, with or without insurance policies or high-paying child support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 11:04 AM

2,395 posts, read 7,606,148 times
We're in the same boat. We've laughed about winning the lottery and say the same thing. Our philosophy if we were to win: pay off the house, get new vehicles (but still "normal" ones), but instead of another house, put the parents on an $11K/year salary each (max allowed to gift, tax-free), put $100K in the niece's college fund and go on many more vacations. We have decided that "stuff" doesn't make us happy. A paid for house and then experiences (vacations) are what we enjoy. In fact, I'd probably still work, but instead of a "regular job", I'd do network consulting around the world and take 3-6 month stints in different countries simply to keep busy, meet new people and experience LIVING in another country. Oh, what fun. Maybe I should wake up now, huh?

Brian

Old 07-07-2007, 11:19 AM
dgz

800 posts, read 2,915,623 times
Same here! I've resisted jumping into the 'constantly upgrading to the next best house/car' thing... because I want to pay off my house quickly and not feel trapped by stuff or by others' shallow expectations of how to use the limited time that we are each given to spend our lives.

Having lots of stuff is useless if you have no time that is your own. Plus, how many people then spend their limited personal time on buying/maintaining their things?

Of course, it's all relative. If you have a lot of money and you downsize your life to live in a $1 million house (instead of a $2 million), then great. But I meet a lot of people who are really* straining* to be in a lifestyle that costs more (in terms of time and money) than they can afford. I think that regardless of how much money anyone has, having one's life in a way that does not require 'strain' is a much easier way to go. :-)

For me personally, I feel most alive when I'm traveling and meeting new people and doing things. Fortunately, I don't have any debts other than my house. But once I pay this house off, I want to work as few months as possible each year and spend the rest of the time either traveling or doing projects that I think would be enjoyable/meaningful.

Last edited by dgz; 07-07-2007 at 11:34 AM..

Old 07-07-2007, 11:36 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,236,200 times
So if one enjoys watching sports and/or movies w/ the family and has a media room is that wrong? If they paid for it and it brings some good family time?

If one enjoys cars and playing w/ them is that bad? If one has obtained a certain amount of financial freedom and has the means to pay for said cars to be enjoyed, tinker with, fix up or whatever their heart desires........ is that considered bad?

Just because one has nice things, fancy cars or whatever does not mean they are living beyond their means. Many could very well have the financial freedom to finally enjoy such things in life and are taking advantage of it. Why not as you can't take it with you I know MANY people that have obtained such a place in their life after hardwork and have the means to buy whatever they want (if they wanted to ). Sometimes it is just a dream to buy something and they move on and other times they finally find something they have always wanted and make the plunge.

I'm not going to knock anyone that has the financial means to buy whatever their heart desires. As long as they are taking care of their family and paying for their own way, who cares.

I love that my house is a great gathering spot for family and friends and we regularly take advantage of that and have people over. Nothing fancy and thank goodness we have one of those HUGE kitchens as that is where most people hang out - there or outside. As for those formal living rooms - that is where we put the family piano (the one I can't play ). At least they make them smaller nowadays. I LOVE my sitting area in the master bedroom though. OMYGOSH, that is heaven especially looking out into the backyard and the pool. Our own little escape. I've not won the lottery in a true sense but we feel we have in other ways - good family and the means to do things for others that are in need. My oldest was telling me that when a bunch of her friends were talking one time one said to her, "if you say your not rich....". I asked my daughter how she responded. I then went on to tell her that material things do not make one "rich". It is life and how one LIVES their life that makes them "rich". We lead by example to our children that God has given us MANY blessings but He can take anything away in an instant if we don't do what is right by Him. In the end your left w/ just yourself and it is how you view yourself then that matters most. Are you "rich" because of your life experiences or feel "poor" because of it (the oh wo is me pity party type)? As the Jimmy Buffet song says, "it could all disappear tomorrow and I'd be alright".

Old 07-07-2007, 12:18 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,305,136 times
I think your points are truly valid, momof2dfw. The only one I don't agree with is a media room related to family time.

Watching movies and TV is not family time to me. If people are glued to the set, they're not relating to each other. I know I'm in the minority about that and to each his own. I just don't want it in my life, but I'm not condemning you AND MOST OF MY FAMILY for considering it quality time. Many in my family spend much time just discussing what movies they saw recently and the like let alone the amount of time they spend glued to the set.

I feel the same way about my house and backyard. I sit in the yard and overlook the wide-open countryside. I can see for miles and miles, and I like that. There are cows and horses in view and they give me a feeling of serenity.

I doubt I'll ever be rich with money, but what is important in life are the things you stated that are not material things. We all have different needs, but that doesn't mean any of us are wrong for needing simple things or luxurious things.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:29 PM
dgz

800 posts, read 2,915,623 times
No, I don't think there's anything wrong with those things at all... as long as one actually has the time to spend with the family in the media room, or playing with the cars, etc. That was the point of my post. Perhaps I've worked too often in environments where there are a lot of people who seem obsessed with their jobs, but I know quite a few people who work more than 40 hours a week, do overtime on the weekends, and travel a lot (for the job).

With that kind of schedule, I'm not sure how one could get the time to enjoy watching sports or movies with their family... or enjoy the cars they buy.

As I said, my issue is with the whole of idea of 'straining' to acquire things... to the point where you can't enjoy the things you've acquired or to have time to enjoy the people you are with. I have some 'relatively' expensive hobbies and I enjoy traveling to more distant places for vacation, but I enjoy them because I've began moving things around (job, house, car priorities) so that I have actual time for them and I don't have to work longer or have concerns about how to afford them. I also find great pleasure in simple things like gardening in the backyard with the dogs. (They usually 'try' to help. ) I recently had an opportunity to choose between two jobs and turned down the one that paid more money, because it was a 65-minute commute and it would not give me time to spend in my yard or to go out in the evening with friends. But if I had taken the job, I would've had more money to buy more *stuff.* This is the kind of balance I'm talking about.

Then again, everyone has their own reasons. If someone likes to feel in debt all the time and worry about their job or having to work long hours to strain to get things beyond what they can afford, because they feel that having those things is worth it, then that's their choice.

If you have a lot of stuff though and you don't have to give up anything in your personal life for it (i.e., having to give up time with friends or family to work), then great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
So if one enjoys watching sports and/or movies w/ the family and has a media room is that wrong? If they paid for it and it brings some good family time?

If one enjoys cars and playing w/ them is that bad? If one has obtained a certain amount of financial freedom and has the means to pay for said cars to be enjoyed, tinker with, fix up or whatever their heart desires........ is that considered bad?

Just because one has nice things, fancy cars or whatever does not mean they are living beyond their means. Many could very well have the financial freedom to finally enjoy such things in life and are taking advantage of it. Why not as you can't take it with you I know MANY people that have obtained such a place in their life after hardwork and have the means to buy whatever they want (if they wanted to ). Sometimes it is just a dream to buy something and they move on and other times they finally find something they have always wanted and make the plunge.

I'm not going to knock anyone that has the financial means to buy whatever their heart desires. As long as they are taking care of their family and paying for their own way, who cares.

I love that my house is a great gathering spot for family and friends and we regularly take advantage of that and have people over. Nothing fancy and thank goodness we have one of those HUGE kitchens as that is where most people hang out - there or outside. As for those formal living rooms - that is where we put the family piano (the one I can't play ). At least they make them smaller nowadays. I LOVE my sitting area in the master bedroom though. OMYGOSH, that is heaven especially looking out into the backyard and the pool. Our own little escape. I've not won the lottery in a true sense but we feel we have in other ways - good family and the means to do things for others that are in need. My oldest was telling me that when a bunch of her friends were talking one time one said to her, "if you say your not rich....". I asked my daughter how she responded. I then went on to tell her that material things do not make one "rich". It is life and how one LIVES their life that makes them "rich". We lead by example to our children that God has given us MANY blessings but He can take anything away in an instant if we don't do what is right by Him. In the end your left w/ just yourself and it is how you view yourself then that matters most. Are you "rich" because of your life experiences or feel "poor" because of it (the oh wo is me pity party type)? As the Jimmy Buffet song says, "it could all disappear tomorrow and I'd be alright".

Last edited by dgz; 07-07-2007 at 01:27 PM..

Old 07-08-2007, 12:57 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,019,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
Yes! The kitchens are so small. And I see even much larger houses that have small kitchens. I know many of us are eating out more, but these kitchens seem to provide very little room for anything. My 3 pet peeves: lack of cabinet space for dishes/etc., lack of pantry space for storing goods, and lack of countertop.

There in lies the irony right ? We find comfort and function in large kitchens, even going as far to emulate commercial kitchens, but then we continue to eat out like maniacs.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:00 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,019,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I thought that was what the old family farm was for.
I know that I can ship my whole family including myself and kids to Wise County to a couple of the family plots up there and be buried for free Oh, and having a relative that is a mortician can come in handy every now and then.
I've often wondered, how does one pursue a career in the field ? Is it just a family business that gets handed down from generation to generation ?

The only way I could see learning the craft is hands on....it's not like you'd go to Borders and pick up a book on embalming and corpse preparation.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:30 PM

1,005 posts, read 3,306,877 times
You go to mortuary college and then intern at a funeral home.
More info here: National Funeral Directors Association

Old 07-09-2007, 07:12 AM

2,395 posts, read 7,606,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I think your points are truly valid, momof2dfw. The only one I don't agree with is a media room related to family time.

Watching movies and TV is not family time to me. If people are glued to the set, they're not relating to each other...
I'm going to weigh in on Momof2's side on this. In my opinion, a quality life is the sum of the experiences you have. If your family enjoys family time watching movies, then so be it. Just because it's not an experience to you doesn't mean it's not to someone else. We don't have to talk to be able to connect.

Back to Momof2's questions. If people have attained wealth and can afford to pay for nice cars or bigger houses, that's totally cool in my book. My beef with consumerism is that people buy things they can't afford. Banks put out debt-to-income ratios that, IMO, are WAY out of line. That's where I have issues. Not with stuff... just with stuff someone can't afford. Hope that helps clarify my position.

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or