U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 09:17 AM

12 posts, read 55,527 times

Advertisements

I agree with the utilities.
PLEASE sign a contract with an electric company!
Even with the "break the contract" fee....you will be ahead financially.
Our bills last summer with no contract were $500 a month.
So far this year....yes it's not been too hot yet but my last bill was $100 with 90 degree temps.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 09:33 AM

1,203 posts, read 3,707,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitchr View Post
I agree with the utilities.
PLEASE sign a contract with an electric company!
Even with the "break the contract" fee....you will be ahead financially.
Our bills last summer with no contract were $500 a month.
So far this year....yes it's not been too hot yet but my last bill was $100 with 90 degree temps.
Are these the utilities that are through the city of Garland or another electric provider? We're about to rent a house there and I found out we have to go through the city to get electric/water/waste. I've always gone through TXU but the city provides it to this particular house so I was wondering how bad it's going to be.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 AM

3,535 posts, read 6,954,136 times
We lived in Garland up until about 4 years ago. If you break out the water/waste from the City of Garland bill and do an apples to apples comparison on the electric it shouldn't be too much higher.

I moved from a municipal to a co-op so I"m still working with no choice, but my husband did research this last year and the rates are comprable. I wasn't paying much attention at the time, but I seem to recall something about there being a limit. Some sort of regulation for the co-ops and munis so they didn't gauge people.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:24 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Are these the utilities that are through the city of Garland or another electric provider? We're about to rent a house there and I found out we have to go through the city to get electric/water/waste. I've always gone through TXU but the city provides it to this particular house so I was wondering how bad it's going to be.
Most of Garland is REQUIRED to be with Garland Power & Light. There are a few small areas that have TXU. I've been with both and overall GP&L is lower than TXU. We don't have an option to be with another provider. I've found that GP&L is very comparable.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 3,707,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Most of Garland is REQUIRED to be with Garland Power & Light. There are a few small areas that have TXU. I've been with both and overall GP&L is lower than TXU. We don't have an option to be with another provider. I've found that GP&L is very comparable.
Thank you for letting me know I've always lived in apartments and have only had to pay electric through a provider and water through the complex, never on my own.....oh and gas, never ever had to pay for that since all the apartments I've lived in have had electric everything lol

Old 05-25-2010, 11:50 PM

6 posts, read 13,276 times
Living in Garland is okay. It is the utilities and, Garland Police trying to meet their quotas. As well as the Garland constables trying to earn brownie points, by writing more tickets. Section 8 is a crock of s--t. I live in FireWheel 3/2/2 very nice, my portion of rent is $600.00 a month. All section 8 tenants are not all terrible. My neighbors don't know I am a section 8 tenant. I mow my lawn and trim just like all the neighbors. I drive a late model vehicle as nice as the neighbors. My 10 year old grandson drives his ($2,000.00) ATV to school. I am a black woman. I fit right in. My income is very limited. Moderator cut: rude and hostile language

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-09-2010 at 10:50 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 06:11 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
I don't even come close to having a $1400 electric bill from Garland Power & Light including water and I live in Firewheel in a house that is almost 5000 square feet. I call bs on that one. Sorry. Or you have very very poor insulation and run the a/c nonstop with all doors and windows open.

I've paid TXU and they are even higher rate wise. I'll take my GP&L any day.

I've only been stopped by the Garland PD if I was doing something wrong. So I was speeding and they caught me. Hey, I was doing it. I had to pay the price. That has happened once in living here for 18 years. Honestly, they need to stop MORE of the crazy speeders.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jychicks View Post
gARLAND IS NICE AND ALL. the utilities will kill you. $350.00 tp $600.00 will drive you 5 miles past hell. The average 3 bed 2 bd well insulated.
That's not at all in line with my experience, and I've been using City of Garland Utilities for over 17 years. My house is a 3/2/2 as well, and I've rarely had a bill over $200, even in the hottest part of summer.

(Longtime lurker here who finally uncloaked to respond to this post.)

Old 09-14-2010, 11:32 PM

35 posts, read 72,918 times
OUT OF MENTIONING..it's funny when people claim that every town will be predominantly minority sooner than later...it's a demographic thing after all/.most western and midwestern cities are predominantly white for example and will remain this way for a long time..but on the topic of garland,there are good and bad areas of garland as i mentioned in my first post.but people seem to disregard the fact that i mentioned east garland is okay.the areas around walnut and jupiter are low rent areas..i don't recommend section 8 and low rent areas to anyone..period/. a poster mentioned that garland is middle class not ghetto.i would say yes if you're defining middle class to fit families like you see viewed on the roseann barr show.the roseann barr show was first aired to make humor of the dysfunctional type families in this country.eventually the typical family unit actually became the roseann barr show.when i say middle class i'm thinking of people above the pay scale of a walmart stocker..most you apparantly are not..and btw..section 8 areas and areas that are predominantly black and ,or hispanic ARE typically higher in crime..this has been proven,so why continue to defend that fact as though it's theory/this is the reason that cops(if u watch "cops" on tv)will frequently claim that they're going into a section 8 area "so anything can happen at this point" and often times will mention going into a section 8 area and blatantly add that areas as such are higher in drug use,etc..i believe they know what they're talking about when they say these things/again i highly point out that people should not move to the vicinity of jupiter road and walnut or anywhere near forest lane and the areas around centerville and 635.they're too close to the woodmeadow(or woodghetto) and ferguson area in dallas.i would say stay away from those areas of garland completely./

Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,912,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asil View Post
Go to Flower Mound. It has cited as one of the top places to live in the U.S. through several sources. The schools are good and the area isdeveloping rapidly yet smartly. I had two offers on my house the week we listed it. Unfortunately, we blew it or should I say the realtors blew it, but it's a great place to live with lots of things going for it.

shhhhhhh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or